1911 Colt Automatic

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by silveroxide, Jul 16, 2014.

1. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

I decided to make something else which I have not done in a long time. this time it will be the Colt 1911 Automatic modernized by Hoborginc. You can find the download and templates her as well as other fantastic firearms. http://hoborginc.deviantart.com/#/art/PM-1911-344712662?hf=1 I used his templates a a base and modified the build to my taste. It will eventually be repainted a black metallic or maybe a desert camo. The first photo is where the model is at this stage of the game. it is almost done and just a few details to go. The instructions given are for the basic Colt 1911 so I had to use reference photos for the picattiny rail system and its location. Other items that need to be redone is the hammer, it is too small and needs to be a bit longer to cover the bullet strike zone. Here are the beginning thread build photos, enjoy and see you all
    soon with more updates.

2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

It looks like you are off to another GREAT start to a very INTERESTING project!

I built this model last year for a friend as a gift (I also made a nice display case for it).

I will be following this thread!!!
  3. silveroxide

Thanks for looking in RB. I am also contemplating making a display box for this one as well.

One problem that I ran into, is that the chip board when sanded, has a tendency to slightly fuzz up and soaks the paint a bit different from that of the smooth unsanded surface. The sanded area of the chip board and even the wood parts, need a diluted glue coat to cover up the rough sanded areas and provide a smooth surface for the spray paint. I will use a primer over the treated surface and then use the regular black metallic paint over it.

Here are some more photo updates. 0005.jpg
    The wood block was not as thick for the slide so I added some Popsicle sticks to keep the sides in line.

4. micahrogers

micahrogers Active Member

Looks good so far
  5. Rhaven Blaack

Here are a couple photos of the case that I made for my project (each of the rounds are removeable)
    IMAG3348.jpg IMAG3349.jpg
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  6. Rhaven Blaack

I really like how you are constructing this! It looks like it will be VERY ROBUST!
  7. silveroxide

Thanks, The gun is finished but I plan on making some kind of display for it or as you did, a presentation case. The bullets are also done but now I have to work on the magazine.

Here is a preview of the initial paint scheme.

8. silveroxide

I may make this model again but with all the internals, The gun is finished now I am presently working on the display case for it. I found the right size box now all that is left, is to edit the photos and upload them. Here is the next batch of photos for your enjoyment.

Attached Files:

9. silveroxide

More photo updates, Disregard the smudges on the photos, they will be taken care off when I hand paint the model.

Rhaven Blaack and Revell-Fan like this.
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

This is looking fantastic Silveroxide. This one is on my list to build someday. Actually all of his weapons are on my list. I look forward to seeing more of this build.

11. silveroxide

Thanks for looking in SJ, I have not seen your avatar in a while. The gun is finished, it is just the editing of photos and the display box to do..
  12. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Yeah, with the new system sending so many notifications all the time I've turned them all off, so now I only pop in at random to see if anything catches my eye. I'll be watching for your update.
  13. silveroxide

I am still editing but here is a Teaser of the Colt as to where it is at the moment. Enjoy and I will be back soon with more build photos. 0078.jpg
  14. Rhaven Blaack

That (almost) looks like the really thing!
    I am looking forward to seeing how the box will turn out.
  15. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Excellent stuff (as always ;) )! :)
  16. silveroxide

The box is coming out nice. I am deliberating whether to take the lid of and turn it into a shadow box with a clear glass/acrylic window to hang on the wall.

Thanks for looking in and for your comment.

As usual, here are some mode updates on the build.

17. micahrogers

micahrogers Active Member

Looks beautiful AgO2... Here in Ga that is looking real enough to get ya arrested with it outside ;)
  18. silveroxide

Thanks for looking in Micah, That is the objective, to get as close to the original as possible. Work proceeds slowly but steady. See you all soon with more updates.
  19. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

There would be now way to show that gun to anyone in Connecticut. I live 25 feet from the New York border, and around 20 minutes from the closest ammo shop. Buying ammo in Connecticut is impossible now. Even for long rifles. Crazy.

Nice job Silver, I'd like to see you make the outside of that gun with aluminum flashing. It would be entirely convincing, though I believe it will be regardless of what material you use. :)
  20. silveroxide

It is a shame, especially for one of the states that hosts one of Americas historical gun manufacturers, U. S. Firearms manufacturing, Hartford Connecticut, where a while back they produced the Colt single action, and the 1911. I believe that they are contemplating their departure from that state.

I used a metallic black paint for the the coloring but I can also use aluminum foil with spray adhesive to the back and pressing that against the framework. That will give a more real metallic look to the gun.

Here are more update photos of the build.

Revell-Fan and Rhaven Blaack like this.