Status
Not open for further replies.

doc_harvey

I'm thinkin that once its released, I'm going to take it to Kinkos (or wherever) and enlarge it on a copier. Then I'll just greeblie the heck out of. Regardless of its original size, its by Gearz.....so its gonna be AWESOME!

CJTK1701

Banned
I'm thinkin that once its released, I'm going to take it to Kinkos (or wherever) and enlarge it on a copier. Then I'll just greeblie the heck out of. Regardless of its original size, its by Gearz.....so its gonna be AWESOME!

Don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel.sign1

I totally feel your want to do things your own way, I was just joking around. sign1

Keep on Trekkin!:thumb:

Nothing

Longtime Member
thanks gearz for the quick tut it was helpfull.a scaled up versoin of the nostramo and arm would make a nice model also!

Gearz

Let's take 'er down. lol ~ I'm looking forward to re-enacting that bit using the model ~ With full vocal sound effects of course ! :razz:

lol thanks Doc ~ no pressure eh lol ~ You were the Big G instigator that led me to this great forum, so I can't break from tradition ~ I'll make sure you have the first copy off the press.

nothing ~ no worries.. * love your new Avatar ~ it could be the official designers DEVlog / animated diary!.

Yep I'd like to see someone give the Nostromo the individual attention it deserves. Hopefully we'll end up seeing several versions of her. ~ A selection from a Mini-stromo, right up to a Maxi-stromo, will be way better than No-stromo's [splooooot!]

Before i nip off and catch up on some long over due building, i have a parting question for those interested. ~ A serendipitous 'wrong' click of a button gave me an idea worth enquiring about.

* The refinery is going to be a large, costly and time consuming model to develop + build. I'd imagine a majority of builders will opt for the 'pulling bit' and totally disregard the refinery. I will be developing the lot, however, would a wall mount /relief sort of refinery be more to anyone's liking? ~ sort of a compromise build with enough relief to give the feel of the vessel.

The attached pic was quick N dirty, just to flesh the idea.

?

Attachments

• wallrefinery1.jpg
    wallrefinery1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 46

Nosports

Hey that would be a very fine idea.

If you could shell this out without big troubles and time why not.....

May be a little deeper for the refinery, but superb idea

Very good idea, indeed. I also vote for a slightly deeper relief of the refinery...like maybe the front half of the first set of towers, but basically, yeah, it's way more likely to get built by paper modelers that way than the whole deal (...except for freaks and fanatics like me, who WILL be building your whole gigantic monster refinery).

shiftdel

...The refinery is going to be a large, costly and time consuming model to develop + build. I'd imagine a majority of builders will opt for the 'pulling bit' and totally disregard the refinery. I will be developing the lot, however, would a wall mount /relief sort of refinery be more to anyone's liking? ~ sort of a compromise build with enough relief to give the feel of the vessel...

I will certainly build your Nostromo, but although I would like, I don't think I'll have the space or time to build the refinery, but I'm not sure if I'll would build all display as your example, although it would be interesting to give an idea of scale.

Lex

Dollmaker
I love the tutorial on textures!! That's what I've always lacks and now I understand the heart of it, thanks Gearz!! And good luck with the design!

Gearz

Yep I think that might be the go... The Nostromo as a small build + the 'wall relief' refinery ( enough relief to differentiate the towers) + the full on refinery.. I'll go figure out the approx sizes of each build and hammer some dots.

Thanks gents :thumb:

CJTK1701

Banned
I'll take it either way you produce it. I've got a stack of builds, but right now my HD is in recovery, so I'm going to have to wait..... Maybe by the time you get her finished I'll have time to build one. LOL

Gearz

Yep.. sorry Nosports, I've been stuck working in 3D on this one for a while. Even though its only tiny in comparison to the entire model, the Nostromo is the key component ( for those intending to build the refinery anyway) so I'm trying to sort out a dilemma with the parts layout. If built at the intended scale, and from the initial test building, I'd have to recommend printing on two different thicknesses of card ~ ( for superior results anyway lol ) ~ The smallest parts will look a lot sharper if printed on plain printing paper. To keep it shortR, I'll try to divide those parts onto separate pages to make it easier for builders to print out.

It might sound convoluted having parts of individual sections spread out all over the place.. However.. for those guys just wanting Nostromo it will only be a slight inconvenience, for the adventurous building at the intended scale + Refinery, it will be a bonus to have them separated.

Attachments

• FAT_THIN.jpg
    FAT_THIN.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 58

Gearz

Bump

Just an update on this project, I've managed a successful test build of the Nostromo ( well.. sorta) Using all card turned to worms, so this build uses acrylic coated plain printing paper for the smaller parts. Hats off to you guys that build the really small detailed stuff.... everything's still a little blurry ~ going have to buy some glasses and finer tools..

There is a lot of detail that I'll have to re-think ~ (lost most of the tiny parts under my finger nails or on the bench) I'm loath to recommend materials to builders, however, I can't see how some parts could be assembled using card ( if built at intended scale) So a few parts need to swapped between pages for printing on different card/paper thickness. IMHO The plain coated paper, although nasty to work with, yielded a much nicer finish on the tiny bitz.

more as it happens.

Attachments

• nos1.jpg
    nos1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 88
  • nos2.jpg
    nos2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 71

crimson

WOW! So that's like a 10cm Nostromo? I think that's incredible.

Congratulations on your designing and building skills.

I would love to see some higher resolution/ close-up pics of this one.

Why ME?

Gearz, your are an artist in the digital realm. :eek: You are making models that are absolutely amazing! Thank you for your dedication to something that we all can share, hopefully! I don't want to step on toes, we all have lives outside of our hobbies, (or DO we?):confused: but any idea when you might release that? Your humble lackey awaits your crumbs at your feet.:thumb:

Gearz

Thanks for the encouragement and enthusiasm cousins, its appreciated! although I hope your not disappointed with this one, the shape has been considerably simplified ~ so that its a practice build at this scale.

* Just using the Halcyon kit as comparison, I've read its 1/960 scale ~ 33cm long 'approx' when built..? So that makes this small + refinery version.. umm...'roughly' 1/ 31650 - ish.

Most builders will only be interested in the pulling bit herself, so I'll include a scaled up version of the patterns, maybe 250 % ?. I'd love to enlarge it to match the Halcyon kit, although it would look pretty clunky thanks to the simplified parts + require some internal bracing = designing a 'nice' larger version would be a whole new project, that some of the other guys might like to tackle..

Hi crimson ~ good call ~ 9.8 cm. The test build was straight from pepakura, so the release version will be marginally smaller (when converted to bitmaps) Its small, but if can build it anyone can. Sorry I can't supply any better shots, sadly the majority of my equipment was made when Adam was a boy. I fluke the occasional good shot when the light is perfect, but mostly I rely on the guys here for quality build pix..

doc ~ What size did you have in mind mate..? Unfortunately the design isn't all that 'bigger' friendly, but If you'd like to give an enlarged version a test for us.? I'll ramp a set of patterns up to 250 % or so ?. ~ name your scale ~ and I'll shot them up to you ASAP.

Hi itla90000311 ~ lol.. thanks mate, I'm glad you like the models, although I wish I was a real artist ~ I'd swap my left gonad for fraction of the true artistic skills that some of our members have.

A release date for the finished goods.... I'd love to say next week, unfortunately I work slower than a wet week and hobby time is getting harder to come by. There's still a few build issues to sort, the part layout is critical + an assembly guide etc. So I'm sorry but I'll have say the end of the month would be soonest.... Actually, from October on is a right off for me this year, so I will make it the end of the month as a deadline.

IN SPACE.. NO ONE CAN WASH THEIR WINDSCREEN

:rolleyes:

doc_harvey

Gearz,

I'll build any size that you're willing to share. I might be tempted to ramp it up maybe twice the size of the current model. I am not all that hung up on the texture changing if I resize it. I just think it's a beautiful ship, and I love the lines and the way it's configured. So whatever you want to send, I'll try and build! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.