Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Wow! Don't fret about sidelining anything. I'll settle for that gorgeous little Nostromo any day.
  2. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Oh my. Not to concerned about you sidelining anything, I know how frustrating it can be to keep working on the same thing. Sometime it's best to step away and focus on something else, often, when you can back to a part it will fall together.

That Nostromo is small, but hey, anything can be sized up right?

Just glad to have you on this project. I'll keep on checkin.:thumb:
  3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep good advice, I'll concentrate on the Nostromo for a bit, something for the refinery will present itself.

Had a more productive day working on the pulling bit, I managed to reduce the engine pontoons down to approx 10 (+ -) main parts, some of which may have to be assembled with butt joins. The fins are simple fold-over parts. Its going to look a little 'boxy' ~ not to bad though. Also, I doubt the textures will show the detail at this size ( not on my printer anyway) but it was therapeutic doing them. One of our amazing micro modellers might be able to do it justice, but I can see myself trying to flick the little buggers off my gluey fingers. Oh well, I'm impatient to start building, so I'll give these parts a go on thin card stock first, then plain printing paper if that turns to worms.

should have some build pics in few days..

Attached Files:

4. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Oh that looks so nice. It'd be a shame to lose those textures to poor print resolution. How big will the assembled engine be, roughly?
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

^^^ Agreed. Also, can't wait to see your build pics.
  6. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Whoa!!! jeez guys - i miss just a few weeks and all this cool stuff pops up!!!

I cant wait to see more on this one!!!
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Glad to see you're back mate. This is going to be a fun one hey?
  8. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I have to admit, back when i got the dvd, i was pouring thru the extras and making caps of all the nostromo stuff, i thought about making one myself - or perhaps even the alien derelict itself.

gearz, I've only skimmed the thread really, did you solve your screencap problem? i think i have a bunch that i took squirreled away somewhere in the dark crevices of my HD.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

^^^ I think he got ahold of Power DVD and has been cooking out his own caps. Seems like things have been cutting along at a good pace.
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hot4Darmat ~ Yep I was a little concerned as well, although the print test proved promising. I printed the parts on standard letter paper @ minimum print quality and they came out reasonably well ~ Win ! The Engine, printed from the pdo on A4, will build to approx 6 cm ( 2 1/2 " ?) ~ the Nostromo complete will be 9.5 cm ( 3 3/4 " ) transferred to bitmaps that will reduce a few percent at most. At this stage it looks like plain paper ( coated?) maybe the go.

OlyPslyk ~ Yep I'm good2go with the screen capturing, CJTK came to the rescue, so I'm going cap'ing crazy at the moment. The alien derelict would be a tricky Dev, although WAY kewl ~ It'd freak a few poor old Gran-ma's out if it was on display with those 3 'entrance's . Most would have to admit that Giger's art is freaky field meltdown sort of stuff, either you love it, or it gives you nightmares ~ One of the reasons Alien was so unique. I'd love to build a derelict model.

*Ding* ~ How kewl would a 'Space Jockey' card model be...!

progress ~ did a bit of tweaking and additional texturing + scaled the Nostromo mesh to the refinery + prepped the engine parts for test building.

Attached Files:

11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Nice work GEARZ. :thumb: Why not share a couple of close up caps with us? My system came with the PowerDVD bundled, so I don't have the screen cap utility any more. I've got a notebook I'm trying to redo and set up the trial version on and it's slow going. Why would they eliminate one of the best features of a program?
  12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep, can do. I haven't grabbed many of the Nostromo, because there's so much reference material on it floating about on the net. I'll get to clicking and grab + post some that may be of interest.

Progress ~ Uggghh.. the parts for the Nostromo's engines are TINY! I didn't even get past the first few parts before a need to re-design was obvious. I would have like to retain the recesses in the forward intake of the engine ( the orange bitz in the 3D pic posted earlier) , but the parts are just way to delicate for the average modeler ( meaning me) I've simplifying the engine even further, which has reduced the part count down to 8 (-) the fins. 'Take two' on the test build, in progress.
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Would it be easier to make the Nostromo slightly larger, then reduce it in the .pdf, or would that make it still to difficult to work. Sorry, have had my coffee quota yet and I"m not firing on all cylinders.
  14. stackw

stackw Highly Dangerous Mind...

Oh man!!!!
    I Stay away from the forum for a month and you come with THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!
    :D :D :D
    Great project Gearz! I Can't wait to see it finished!
  15. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

SWEET! This has been on my top ten most wanted card models for a very long time....can't wait!
  16. Gearz

Gearz Member

CJTK ~ good idea mate ~ but more coffee needed lol.. Problem ~ Problem ~ Problem

Thanks stackw ! :mrgreen:

Doc ~ I hope it won't disappoint you, the Nostromo by herself is going to be pretty small..

Ok, the Nostromo's engine is build-able at this scale ( if I can do it, anyone can) I used standard printing paper coated with several heavy coats of spray acrylic. *The standard paper proved very weak for the main sections. Ideally a combination of standard paper and card would be best when building a Nostromo at this scale, but I'm not going to try to second guess builders, so maybe just a note/recommendation in the AG.

Next on the board the Nostromo's main hull.. + some sort of solution to the refinery's texture dilemma so a test build can commence..

*pics* ~ A4 cutting board ~ centimetre scale

Attached Files:

17. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Oh that's sooooo cool!

No really, its beautiful. Can't wait to make one myself. Tweezers ready!
  18. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Wow, great engine naceles so far, oh well, my to do list grows too fast...

I really need a CraftRobo to cut all those nice models faster :D
  19. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks guys, yep Its going to be a cute little sucker.

Progress ~ nearly finished texturing the main hull. I figure a few ppl would prefer to just build the Nostromo without the mega refinery, so I've spent time making an insanely small under carriage ( just 2d shapes) the main nose antenna and a few small detail etc the cockpit window is there, though I doubt its build-able ( about 4~ 5 pixels wide as a pattern.) :eek:

Attached Files:

• nd1.jpg
      File size:
      69.8 KB
    • nd2.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
  20. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

can i ask what program you use to make your textures? it looks fabulous. how big is it at this scale?