18 inch radius

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Another thing you can do if you want to save info is this:

Select a block of text, then right click and choose copy. The open Microsoft Word and paste. Then just save the Word doc under a name the tells you what is inside!

Hookedtrout

Jul 18, 2004
S.E. Idaho
Doc Holliday said:
I couldn't find an HO scale Delorean to make a time machine, but I did find a 1:96 scale one that would work in a pinch if you wanted one.

Doc
I think I'm opting to modify the Steam Engine instead of the Delorean like they did in BTTF 2 or 3 which ever one it was. :)

What scale are the little hot wheels & matchbox cars compared to HO? Too big?

PS You could still be a cowboy, come on out to Idaho and I'll put you to work, got plenty of fence that needs mending. :thumb:

Hook

Hookedtrout

Jul 18, 2004
S.E. Idaho
Doc Holliday said:
I believe Hotwheels are 1:64 scale, which is about 35% larger than HO scale.
Doc
I figured they were bigger, didn't realize it was that much. The horses figured out that the canal is empty and found a way out, could have used your help rounding them back up, all is well now, back to the train shack, several more goodies showed up today via door to door delivery, man I love not having to go shopping :D .

Have a nice day.

Hook

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Hey gang, let's kick it up a notch:

How about the same question (i.e. steam power & era-correct cars) on 14-15" radius? I have a mine spur (about 10' of trackage) with curves that tight. Fine for the small 0-4-0 and 0-6-0's I've run on it and presumable the shorty ore-cars I'm currently seeking. Works fine for my completely-out-of-period 4-4-0 american and "old west" cars too (FWIW). But what else more prototypically correct could run down such crazy radius track?

I looked into a Shay, knowing the prototype was known for handling silly track radius, quality, etc... But the response I got (from Bachmann regarding their 3-truck spectrum shay specifically) was that it would NOT run under 18" radius... Any other thoughts/suggestions? I'd particularly love to have a geared-loco to run there.

F

Fred_M

How about 5 1/2 radius? I am tinkering with a micro On30 layout (using HO atlas flex track) that is 1 foot by 2 foot and a 0-6-0 runs on it as does modified tichy ore cars and some yet to be built Christmas cars. It will be a Xmas layout when done. So you want to talk small radius? Fred

aaw.jpg

aax.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I built an HO trolley layout on a 2'x4' board. Generally, I used 4 wheel locos and MDC 36' oldtimer cars (as well as the trolleys). The problems on sharp curves are the coupler swing as they enter the curve. Also truck rotation.
I suspect that the Shay problem might be that the jackshafts would either bind or dismantle on really sharp curves.