1701-E Bridge WIP

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Master-Bruce, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Perry

Perry New Member

I'm new in the forum ( but not in papermodelling ) and I must say that your model really captured my attention!... I can only say: Fantastic!!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to see it finished!!!

[As a Trekker I can only suggest you to include in the list the 1701-E Engineering... :mrgreen:]
  2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Oh it's on the list, I forgot about that one. I also forgot about an AGT and Generations version of the "D" bridge too.

Hi Paulhbell, I'm just working on this while you guys are working on the testbuild for the "D". Besides I have a long list to get through. How's it going btw?
  3. Master-Bruce

Morning all, well afternoon. LOL

We have chairs people!! I've now done all the chairs, keeping them as simple as I can yet retain the look of how they are in the movie. They'll be small and fiddly but buildable. As with the "D" bridge, I've opted for a degree of accuracy at the cost of some of the ease of building.

I've added colours too to get a better idea of how it'll look. Remember, if you've read the "D" thread, you'll know that most of the actual texures for my models are added after unfolding.

Anyway this model is almost ready for unfolding!! I have a few small things to do now like add recesses for replicators and Picards armrests.

Please tell me what you think before I back this up on a disc ready for after the "D" bridge has been released. That's when I'll start unfolding this one.

Now I'll be starting another bridge later. I'm thinking 1701-A as seen in Undiscovered Country!!!!!!
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That looks fantastic to me!
    You really knocked that out quickly!
    Great job!

5. Master-Bruce

Thanks! :)

It's just the 3D model not the finished thing but all the hardstuff is done, unfolding and texturing the "D" bridge went smoothly with no major hassles, so hopefully this will be the same.

Since my last, I've added the replicators and Captain P's armrests so it's done!!

I'll have more on this once it's unfolded. There's a testbuild thread on the "D" bridge in the Sci-fi section here so once that's done I can release the model if all is well.

May as well start another one. LOL
  6. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Hey there, while I dont know of any uber site for LCARS this time for the E, I did come across a couple of impressive animations somewhere that were used for the rear-bridge msd. I'll see if i can turn them up for you.
  7. Master-Bruce

Thanks for the help. I have a friend now doing graphics for the main displays around the bridge, so consoles are no longer a problem.

We're cooking on gas people!!
  8. Master-Bruce

Been neglecting this thread for a few days or so. I did stop work on this for a while to wait for LCARS artwork for this model to be completed by a friend. It's nearing the end now so I decided to start unfolding it yesterday.

Getting there but it's taking forever due to all the parts. SOME OF THEM SMALL!! Be warned.

The model is the same scale as the 1701-D bridge if I did it correctly and is currently standing at 23 pages!! 21 just for floor, wall and door parts.

Here's a pic:
  9. Gainer

Gainer Member

10. Master-Bruce

All parts unfolded!! Woohoo!! I hate unfolding as it's so repetetive, still, it needs to be done right?

For this model we have 25 jam packed pages of bridge model, Funny thing is, 21 of those are mainly dedicated to floors and walls.

I hope to start texturing tonight but may not be able to, so tomorrow is my definite start day for it. It's high res so that all the details are clear and crisp just like the "D" bridge. All the LCARS images for this have been done in Illustrator so can be scaled either way without loosing clarity unlike the "D" images which were just high res scans and what not scaled to fit so some clarity was lost on those.

Feedback from testbuilds on the 1701-D model have been taken into account to improve past mistakes or oversight.

I'll post a preview pic later if I get the chance tomake a start.
  11. Master-Bruce

Texuters the first set of parts. Nothing big and dazzling but it's a start. The alert status bars that line the perimiter of the bridge, there are 10 of them in all.

I'm doing the bridge in standard flight mode(Green Alert I guess).

Here's a preview:
  12. Master-Bruce

More texturing done today and more to go before bed.

A few previews:

13. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Looking good.
  14. Master-Bruce

Thanks, it's getting there. More to get through today though.
  15. Master-Bruce

Most of it is now done. Still waiting on the LCARS, but David's doing a great job so it's worth the wait! Just have doors to do now I think.

I went for 7 different viewscreens, gives the builder some options on which one to display with the model. Originally they were going to be changeable but I forgot to incorperate it into the design, though I suppose it could be adapted after releaseif someone wanted that??

Preview of 5 of the 7:
  16. Master-Bruce

There's still some texturing to be done yet. My friend who's doing the LCARS is away for 2 days so I made a start on instructions yesterday.

God I hate doing those!! I find it difficult to explain things sometimes. I'm writing a method of assembly to try and make building this as painless as possible. There are some tricky areas so I'm trying to help make that as easy as I can.

Some of the "trickyness" is down to undersight on my part, lack of forward thinking when I designed this. It's buildable but it could have been made easier than it is. For example, doors slot into doorways when each part is assembled. This could have been done differently.

Actually, I've just thought of a way to simplify those before release. Woohoo!!

Made up of both text and pictures, the instructions come as a seperate PDF.
  17. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Assembly Instructions

For me, the assembly instructions are the hardest part of the design process. A picture (or drawing) is worth a thousand words but you have to spend a lot of time drawing or providing the various views needed to explain what you have in mind. It can also be a bit of a challenge to explain yourself in a manner that is not condescending yet thorough.

I find it takes me as long to put together instructions as it does to design, test build, modify, test build, color, and final build. Please don't think that I'm complaining. This is my hobby and I thoroughly enjoy every aspect of it (some more than others), including the research and chatting with the wonderful people who enjoy it as much as I do. I commend those who provide assembly instructions, whatever the format or appearance. Know that I, for one, appreciate the work involved.

This is one reason why it takes so long to release a design, there is a lot more involved than just "simply drawing up the parts".

My sincerest thanks to all those who have (and continue) to help me with projects and to those who patiently wait for new designs to build. Without the builders, the hobby would be pretty restricted.

Good luck with the instruction writing, I'm really looking forward to this model as well as the others you have designed.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  18. Master-Bruce

Thanks Ron. again a compliment from you is a big deal to me, What do you have in the works at the moment anyway??

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean there, Instructions take a long time. As I said I find it hard to explain things to myself let alone others. LOL

Too true, builders make this hobby grow. Designers keep it fresh.
  19. Gainer

Gainer Member

20. Master-Bruce

I got some more of the LCARS lastnight for the tactical stations, and ops and conn. These things are beautiful.

Still working on instructions but things have slowed a bit while I help texture another model by another designer. This model is awesome and will be a nice addition to the Trek offerings out there.