1701-E Bridge. Testbuild Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Hi Guys,

I've not heard anything back since releasing my 1701-E bridge last week so I figured I'd start a test build myself.

I printed out the parts from the PDF files only to find half way through that if you print this out with "NO SCALE" selected in the print options, that it hacks a portion off the bottom!! Not good. :( I found that printing this at 95% solves this problem and won't make a huge dent on the final size of the model. Though why this problem exists at all is a mystery to me as it wasn't a problem with the 1701-D bridge.

Remember: PRINT AT 95%

I hadn't finished the instructions for this so I decided to start with one of the wall consoles. Port, I think. The parts are big enough to not pose a problem to me(I have pretty chunky digits), and the tabs are fine too.

The breakdown of the console make building simple enough so far. I think if I'd have done this another way it may have made it slightly easier, but only slightly so I doubt I'll change this. :)

Here's a pic:
Image1.jpg

Sorry for the grubby thumb. Oops! I had a roof leak and had to fix it before taking this pic. As you see it went together fine. The sagging of the blue floor will be remedied when this console is glued to the main wall later tonight. I'll upload some pics of that later.

Looking at the floor parts, this model isn't small but not quite huge either. Around 13-14 inches round(diameter). Also some of the finer detail was lost in mine after printing. :( :( I think this is my fault though as I'd selected "Best Print" in my printer properties so I think that is why. Maybe a normal print would have done the job just fine. Plus, it would have saved me some ink too.

More to come soon. Please feel to comment. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Aside from doing a testbuild to make sure the model was Ok. I really wanted to buildone of my own designs as I never have.

I have a lot on my plate lately so progress may be slow but I'll get there.

Didn't get to finish that wall. :( My brother-in-law has come to visit so I had to meet him off the train and after that I had no time, so today I'll have something to show. :)

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Got some done today. Finished that wall front, it's a little sloppy in my opinion but I think that's mostly down to me. I haven't built a papermodel for a while so I'm a little out of practice.
Image2.jpg
I started the rear wall console with the MSD too so I'll have that done tonight. I'm enjoying this one so far, I hope this enjoyment lasts. LOL!

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Image3.jpg

Progress of the rear wall station. Part went together well so far. I'm hoping to not get the same tight fit problem I had with the other wall station. We'll see. :)

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Beautiful Model!

That sure is one beautiful model! The graphics and parts design really make this one stand out with the best of them (IMHO). Thanks also for the heads up to print at 95 percent.

Thanks for a great model, I look forward to more of your excellent work!

Best Regards,
Ron Caudillo

P.S. I think your construction is very good!

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks very much Ron, as I've said coming from you, it means a lot. I get a little sloppy but so far the model is going together well.

I'm happy you like the graphics. I really feel they make the model come together, especially when the floor is done and you see the contrasts of the blues against the brown walls. It's a strange combo but it works.

I'll be looking forward to starting my 1701-A bridge soon.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Ok. Here's the completed face of the rear wall station.
Image4.jpg

There is a small problem with this, the blue carpet piece doesn't join up with the wall face. D'oh!! This is a design fault and I'll fix this and update it accordingly after this build is complete. I'll make a list of things to fix.

There is more to be done to these two parts yet so that'llbe why they don't look as rounded as they should. I'll be doing that after doing all of the wall faces.

P

paulhbell

I know your busy with the BSG model's, But have you made any progess with the Enterprise 'E' bridge. I'm going to have a go at building it 'as is', so is there any problems apart from those listed above.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Hi Paul, no new progress. I did build the main viewer shortly after my last post. That went together just fine. I hope to get back to it someday soon but we'll see. I have a hell of a lot on my plate as well as modelling.

I understand why you got tied up now. :) I don't mind if you take over this thread if you want to document your build? I may never get to finish it. I hope I do.

P

paulhbell

I have a couple of builds on the go at the moment, Ron Caudillo's 'A' bridge plus a couple of others which I would like to finish first. I'll make a start before the middle of the week.

P

paulhbell

Sorry, I ment original series bridge. My mistake. Trying to read a book and type on computer at the same time.

P

paulhbell

Ok. Printed the pages off today. Remember to read skips first post of this thread about printing at 95%, I didn't. I was lucky, for some reason my printer cropped the top of the pages off, so I am missing nothing.

I am going to start with the floor, but as the instructions are only part finished I may get stuck later on, ie, where the parts go. So at times I may be 'winging' it and I will more than likely getting on skips back (sorry) about where parts go. I will report faults and post photos to help skip improve the design (if it needs improving).

First photos coming tomorrow night should be of first floor layer.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Good news Paul. Glad someone else is doing it as I haven't got the time right now to finish mine. I will, just don't know when.

Feel free to "get on my back". LOL

P

paulhbell

Floor

Hi Skip. I have just finished the 4 floor pieces and I am letting them sit over night before taking a photo. Looks ok though.

Done for tonight though, up early in the morning, WORK!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.