15 and building my first layout

sweet_sean

About 2 to 3 months ago, I became interested in model railroading again. Only this time, i wanted to build a permanent layout. When I was 6 or 7, my parents (Santa Claus
rolleyes.gif
) gave me a bachmann HO train set. Now I'm 14 (turning 15 Thursday), since then I have put the track togehter occasionally and play for a few hours. When I discovered some of the layouts that have been built I wanted to try it too. Now I am considering the Turtle Creek Central layout released by Model Railroader. I was wondering if this layout was a good one for my first one. I have a designated room in my mother's basement about 10' x 13' that I think will work. I was posting here for the great advice everyone here offers.

I thank you in advance for the help you will all offer.

Sean

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow! A lot of kids my age popping up all over the place!

Sean, that's great you decided that it was time to start a layout. Any of the MR project layouts would be a good start, any one that has step by step instructions. (Hehehe.. I didn't follow that advice, but don't let that stop you...)

The Turtle Creek Central is a nice layout. It would be a great start, with room to expand. However, in that space you have, you might be better off building something other than a 4'x8' to get some more trackage.

I would stay away from the E-Z track when you transition to a layout. I find that the current of electricity isn't as strong, and my trains always stop dead on the switches. Try Atlas Sectional Snap-Track or even Flexitrack if you're up to it.

Good luck, and ask any questions that come to mind. There are a good load of people here that are extremely helpful, and can answer all of those questions us beginner model railroaders' have. :D

sweet_sean

the hardest part of the hobby for us younger modelers, is financing
financing is a major reason i haven't done much yet

Russ Bellinis

Use flex track. It is much less expensive than snap track and needs fewer rail joiners to create bad electrical connections.

rcline

Happy B-Day to you! and welcome aboard. I don't remember the threads in here, (just ask around) but you find a lot of good info on starting out as well as a lot of tips about laying track. Like making your layout so that you reach whatever you need at no more than arms reach. You can learn a lot in here and a lot from just plain ole trial and era. Good luck and dont give up! Money is not a problem to just the young only, that is a problem everywhere. Try paying all the bills, buy all the food in the house, put clothes on everyones back and that is just for starters!
But don't give up!! Welcome aboard!!

daboonk

join the club, i am also 15 and starting a HO layout with my dad, he is paying for most of it but i'll probably throw in 500 or so dollars since i have a job and nothing better to spend it on, hang in there, in the long run u will have one heck of a layout....

daboonk

i would upload some photos but they are all way to big, i will do up a web page some day and have them there

Russ Bellinis

If you build something like the layout drawn up by hminky, you could build the center peninsula first, and have a place to run some trains as you build the rest of the layout. That would also allow you to spread out the cost by only buying enoulg materials to do the portion you are working on at the time.