14 year old needs help asap

JVRR

Jun 22, 2005
Louisvile, Kentucky
HI my name is joshua and I am swicthing from Ho To N scale because of limited space. I have never built a real layout before but am turning my room into a bedroom/ workshop. and i need some ideas for layouts. I have 70 inches long and 36 inches wide. I have about 8feet tall.please help

jvrr

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Joshua, My suggestion would be to start with a simple loop with a siding or passing track on each side. That way you can get some trains running and "get your feet wet" later you can add more sidings, loops etc. when your skills and interests have developed.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Hi Joshua, welcome to the web. :wave:
I would recomend an investment in a couple of books on layouts. In the meantime you can look at some of the sites listed on my Links Page. About half way down the right hand table is a "Layout Planning" header. The links below it will take you to some sites that have all kinds of layout plans. Even if you don't use an exact copy of one of them, it will give you an idea of what you might want on yours.
I also would recomend some layout software that will help you figure out what will fit and where to put things. A lot of it depends on what you want to do. Just have trains running around, switching, senicing, going with a strict prototype etc. Once you figure that out then we will be better abled to help you get started. Good luck and have fun! :thumb: :thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Everyone faces this problem with the any layout...what to do with the space you have. For a train board, may I suggest a hollow door from the local hardware store. They are strong and lightweight, and you may be able to get exactly the correct dimension with no cutting. (If you must cut it - as I had to - simply get a wooded yardstick from that same hardware store and put it into the opening of the door. It fits perfectly and you can glue it into place to make the door rigid again.) I used one for my children because it would be light weight and easily portable - and since it is sanded smooth, could easily slide under a bed with no damage to the carpet. The biggest drawbacks are, it is harder to hide the turnout wiring, and it can be a bit noiser when the train runs over it since it's hollow. But the biggest benefit is that it is rigid and doesn't bend or flex when it is picked up. Best of luck!

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Hello and Welcome to the Gauge! It depends on what you want, but I would personally avoid a "loop" of track. You might get bored watching your trains go around and around in a circle. If you like switching, you could have a nice sized switching layout with that much room. (and they have no loops!) But if you want to just let your trains run, then you have to have a loop, I guess. It all depends on what you want, it is your layout!

JVRR

Jun 22, 2005
Louisvile, Kentucky
poorn91e.gif
this is a layout from the ho scale forum that a guy gave me. It has 15 switches and 49 straights, i am not sure about the curves.

JVRR

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
You may want to consider the "folded dogbone" for an out and back configuration with a town or two somewhere in-between the two bone ends.

Personally, I'd run down to the local hobby shop (LHS) and buy one of the trackplanning books before I spent any money on anything else. There is probably one layout that would fit your needs. The books will have all the specifications spelled out and a list of all the different track pieces you will need. Plus, somebody else beat their brains out figuring out an interesting layout and trackplan, so you don't have to.

Throwing down track wishy washy is easy, just start. Now, if you want to make it believable and have a reason to exist, that takes alot of research( don't worry, you have a lifetime to do that) even if you make up a fictional railroad. I consider research as being just as much fun as running trains, building models or scenicing, as I would think most here do. But, you have to start somewhere and a trackplan designed by a pro will save you alot of time.

Also, the drawings of the layouts in 3/4 views are nice. Gives you a real good idea of what the layout will look like all finished(?). You'll probably spend hrs drooling over all the different layouts designs.

JVRR

Jun 22, 2005
Louisvile, Kentucky
iam having a hard time figuring a layout because i want to make it the best but i know i wont be able to. have you seen SD90 layout utterly amazing.

JVnn

JVRR

Jun 22, 2005
Louisvile, Kentucky
iam having a hard time figuring a layout because i want to make it the best but i know i wont be able to. SD90 your layout is amazing i wish i could do that.

JVRR