13 year old need help with layout

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
thanks TC i have a question what could i do on the side with nothing there? since this is a small layout i want to use as much room as possible.
PS. i have a layout i made last night i will try to get it on.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
13Mtrainer said:
thanks TC i have a question what could i do on the side with nothing there? since this is a small layout i want to use as much room as possible.
PS. i have a layout i made last night i will try to get it on.

the side with "nothing" is open space to put a town, scenery, and so on.

The idea is railroads don't exist in a vaccuum :)

basementdweller

Jul 17, 2004
SW Ohio
13MTrainer we are looking forward to seeing your track plan. Try not to concern yourself with filling up every bit of space with track, leave room for scenery and buildings. The plan posted by trainclown with the center divider is an excellent way to use your space and have the illusion of a larger layout, it stops you from seeing the whole layout at once.
Keep us posted and ask as many questions as needed.

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
thank you BD i have another question i am modofing TC's not much just so its not like i am steeling his idea so i am modofing were my engins go i was wonderin if you had any ideas. if so please tell me asap.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
SS has it right 13MC. The open space is for a town. You will enjoy building the town, especialy if you bye plastic model kits of the buildings. Loads to choose from at the hobby shop. It dosen't have to be a big town. It could just be a small town. You also can build sceanery around the edges.

I'll see if I can make a mock up.

TrainClown :)

basementdweller

Jul 17, 2004
SW Ohio
13MTrainer, if you want to have a place to put engines then you have a couple of options, there really is no room to add another track on the yard side of the layout so you could designate a track for your engines, you could have the track run into an engine shed. On the town side you could have another track come off the passing siding and run it to an engine shed. I would caution you not to have too much track on the town side of the layout, or you won't have room for buildings and scenery.

Just a suggestion for getting started: if you know what space is available to you then go ahead and start building your bench / base and get the hoisting system working. While you are doing this you can still work on your plan. Don't be in a rush to get the trains running just yet.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi 13M and TC:
TC; Try canting the backdrop. With the yard at the top of the layout, cant the backdrop from upper left to lower right corner. This helps break the layout out of the "all lines are parallet" box and makes the layout look more natural. Also gives opportunities to hide the end runs by going into tunnels on the mountain side and coming out of buildings or from under bridges on the yard side. Could even tilt the main line some. One of the fellas here at the-gauge used this technique on an "N" module. Looked right spiffy.

13M; TC's given you a yard and a siding in a town to work with. That'll yield a lot of operational possibilities. Do you know what a "block" system is and how you set up and operate one? If not, do a little reserach on the web or at the library. With it, or DCC, you can be putting a train together in the yard while your Dad or a friend is running a freight train over in the town.

Regards,
Ted

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Well I got to thinkin' and had a go. I found out I could have a bigger yard. And I added some industrial spurs on the town side as well as a small storage yard. This particular design doesn't have the continuous scenery that the other plan I made. Personally I like the first one better than this one. Especially for a first layout. I think the wiring and track work of this design is to advanced for a beginner. I'm not to keen on the train disappearing into a tunnel or under a bridge or into a building and emerging the same sort of way on the other side.

Anyway, here it is.

TrainClown:wave:

Attachments

• 13MT layout 2 plan.jpg
    13MT layout 2 plan.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 184

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
cool layout guys he TC i got your layout and i modofied it. it has 12 swicthes mostly in the yard and is more of a box shape.the backdrop is form lower left to upper right and has a turnout going to another layout. i am woking on my second layout now. thanks for all the ideas.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
13M:
Sounds like you're on your way. Be sure and price out your stuff before you start to make sure you can cover the cost. Don't forget to buy trains! Also, allow for some wiring, glue, and other misc "stuff".

TC:
Great layout work. You're right about the second layout being more complex, but 13M could always leave some of the turnouts out and add them later as his skill, dollars and ambition grow. The ends can be handled wither way, tunnels vs. open. Just a matter of preference.

Regards,
Ted

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
i have a question? i have my yard layout done looks good and all and i have a turn out the will lead to a new layout. can you guys help me design a layout just to run my trains to and from the yard? i would like it to be an upsidedown U around my layout can you guys help me.