11-02 Anything ever published??

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
For anyone who has ever written anything to a magazine, here's today's question:

Have you ever gotten anything you've done in model railroading published in a magazine such as photos, how-to's or complete articles? How about just a letter to the editor?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I gotta say I don't have anything published about MRR. I write a monthly column for a newspaper, it's about life in Arizona, but this does give me an idea for a future column.
573.gif

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I had a cartoon published in Model Railroader in the 1980s. It was a gag about using mirrors that had several images of a modeler at a club layout. Oddly I thought it was the least amusing of the half dozen cartoons I sent them but that's the one they picked! :)
Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
MasonJar said:
Life in Arizona must include trains, if participation on this forum is any indication (dare I say "gauge"? hamr :D).

Andrew
Yeah, one of the next articles will indeed be about trains in Arizona, real and scale..:thumb: :thumb:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Nothing yet in the model railroading press. I used to write a lot of articles for roleplaying game fanzines and music zines, and this year I had my first book (on streetcars) published and just completed an article on planned development of a former Southern Pacific railyard/shops complex that should see print in December. I do hope to start whipping up some articles for submission to the model railroading press once I have enough time to start modeling!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I had a bunch of pictures of the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone being demolished.. -- I was published in the RR Museum of PA monthly newsletter Milepost

Also, while working on restoring an engine (about 8 years ago) our "crew" ended up on the cover a few months later :) Does it count if "you" were published :D :D :D

I have also had many pictures of the Museum layouts and displays published there too...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've had two letters published in Model Railroader - the first one about 1963, and I got a short reply from Linn Westcott (and a follow up inquiry from Jim Findley!)
Our club newsletter published several of my musings. I figured the best one was my list of Scottish dances with a "railway" connection.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Boy, talk about serendipity. :) I accidentally clicked on this Forum when trying to go to the Photography Forum.
Back in February, 1980, I had an article published in Model Railroader's Paintshop, on painting TH&B geeps. The innovation was using dry transfer lettering as a paint mask, for lettering models where commercial lettering sets were either unavailable or were in a grossly incorrect colour. My biggest problem was getting useable photographs that would look good when printed in the magazine, but with the help of Jim Hediger, that was finally accomplished. The following year, I was out on strike, and with a lot of extra time on my hands, I made up some large calendars, complete with a b&w photo of a steam loco posed on a diorama. I sent one to Model Railroader, as they often reviewed calendars sent in by various advertisers and readers, and was pleasantly surprised to receive a modest cheque for a small mention, along with a photo, in a later issue of the magazine.
I later submitted, to Railroad Model Craftsman, an article on building an NW-2 from an Athearn switcher to RMC, but it was rejected as "needing severe editing".:rolleyes: It was meant more as a tale of the trials and tribulations of following a magazine article than as a how-to, but perhaps my "humour" was too subtle.:D I also sent them, at a later date, a very brief outline, along with a couple of pretty good transparencies of my gas-electric car, as a "feeler" to see if they would be interested in a more complete account for their kitbashing award, but never heard back from them. This was despite having included the necessary postage and envelope for the return of unuseable material. My submission would have been in that vicinity right around the time of 9-11, and I have always suspected that there was some oblique connection as to why the material was never returned.
While I would like to offer more for publication, my propensity for words, plus my inability to provide better photos continues to work against me. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I'd have to come up with quite a pile of good photos!:D

Wayne