11-01 Take 'em out? Do your models leave home?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Question of the day... afternoon edition ;)

Do your locos, rolling stock, or other models ever leave home?

I have taken a variety of items to the www.ovar.ca dinner "show & tell", and I have also run several of my locos at other people's layouts.

Andrew

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I have a six tray nested storage unit I use to keep and carry my traveling roster. They tend to be of less finer detail to take the rigors of traveling from show to show.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
They never leave home. They have no where to go.:cry:

But I normally leave a few engines and various cars out on the layout for the kids to run when they want.

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
Im a college student, and my layout is back home. So I have a desk in my apartment set up with test track and soldering stations and I take most of my locomtives back and forth when I get time to go home. I got eight here now converting to DCC.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I don't belong to a club, nor do I know anyone that has an N scale layout close to me so that I can bring them there. I guess I could take them to the store with me when I go, but I don't think they'd appreciate leaving the comfort of their warm cozy drawer, so they don't get to go out at all...:D :D

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I took some pieces to show my dad once as I had some Carbide tankers I got on ebay and gave him one. He retired from Union Carbide with 31 years service.

An othertime I carried around the Walthers coal tipple I built to show him.

I wanted his to see these were more tahn toys, they are a hobby and a craft.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I take some of my locos and rolling stock to run on other club members layouts, club show and tells and to run at shows.
Don, I remember a couple of your locos making it up to Dewey.:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
I take some of my locos and rolling stock to run on other club members layouts, club show and tells and to run at shows.
Don, I remember a couple of your locos making it up to Dewey.:D
Yeah, I remember that too, I just don't remember taking them there..:D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Cornreaper -

Barrie, ON is just down the road from Orillia isn't it? Home to Ian Wilson, author of the CN steam books (6 and counting, I think).

Are you interested in, and/or have you tried looking for clubs via the www.nmra.org or www.caorm.org sites? The latter (Canadian Association of Railway Modellers) indicates that the president of the Ontario Central Chapter (which includes Barrie) is located in Barrie... NMRA has this information: http://www.infoharvest.ca/NMRA/regions/#Niagara

Hope that helps!

Andrew

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Unfortunately, the only clubs I know of here in Cincinnati are O scale.

Throughout undergrad and now into married grad student life I have packed stuff back and forth from home. I have a workbench and my tools here, and my dad has the layout in his basement. Since my parents are looking at moving and the catzillas have been messing with his layout, I have about 5 boxes worth of HO engines and rolling stock with me here...but with the intention of returning it to my parents' new home. My last trip home didn't involve any model trains, but the time before I took my NYC&Stl hudson for some excerise and a break in run for a jw bowker I picked up on ebay.

Once upon a time we took my athearn mike...when it was new...and a rivarossi berk to a huge model railroad that one of my dad's friends has...it's a gigantic HO BNSF railroad that fills his 40'-60' basement. It was featured in MR in 5 or so years ago. That was a ton of fun...he was in the process of adding working signals and such to it at the time.

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
No, not anymore. I used to take trains for running on local clubs, but it became too much of a pain. Some run DC, some run DCC, the DCC ones always used 4 digit programming while I was using two. I got tired of removing shells to swap into and out of DC mode and got tired of reprogramming the engines. As for cars, I put a lot of work into them for details and weathering, and I kept losing parts, no matter how nicely I packed them during transport and no matter how careful I was who handled them.

Now, with my goals more and more for quality in the rolling stock, I'm even more careful not to move them off the layout. While they don't travel much this way, they stay intact too.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
All mine travel to every show the Club participates in. We have a show this coming Sunday, the Club is setting up an impressive 23 x 30 foot modular layout. Going to put some miles on a number of my engines and rolling stock.