101 track plans question

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
I purchased the book of 101 track plans by Linn H. Westcott.

The very first line in the book says: The plans in this book were prepared before N scale was developed. However you can reduce any plan to suit N scale by following the dimensions given in the tables.
Ruled lines across plan are:
6" aprt for N
9" aprt fot TT
12" aprt for HO
And so on.
I am looking for plans for N scale.
For people with the book i looked at plan #8 - Port Ogden & Northern RR. for the heck of it. In the St Mary's yard it shows a yard with 6 tracks in the yard. In HO scale the plan calls for 1'X16'. So i figured the table said to divide by 2 for N scale, which would be 6"X8'.
Then i went to XtrCad to make it on the program to print out. It didn't seem to fit the specs. I then went to get a piece 6''x11" paper. I placed 6 pcs of track onto the 6" width, and the track was way to cluttered, no room for the switches it called for.
My question is what am i missing here. Is my math wrong? Do i need to change the track plans to fit the specs? Please help.
Thanks, Cliff

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Cliff!

Like Will points out, N scale is actually a little larger than 1/2 HO...
What I always do is round it up to 60% of HO...so you'll want to reduce the HO plan by 40%...
For the plan you mention, try fitting it in to a space 10' long by 8" wide...See if that works...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Cliff: I've suggested that you look at using the HO plan dimensions directly for a spacious N gauge layout. You'll have to tighten the track spacing and maybe modify the yards, but the curves will be generous and lots of room for scenery or buildings.