$10.00 Radioshack 20sec audio recorder

Eugene157

Jan 30, 2007
I wonder if anybody has used the RS 20sec sound recorder in their trains or as a triggerable background sound for stations etc?
The sound quality is surprisingly good , the $ 10.00 price includes the speaker , it doubles as the mike .

It is listed as "9 Volt recording module"
Gene

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Gene,

The guys at the hobby shop have an On30 set up with a mine as a focal point. As an afterthought they bought this little gadget from radio shack. Cut a square hole in the fascia about 8 inches below track level and made a mine shaft with an orecart and everything inside. When you push the button on the fascia (done by extending the leads from the switch in the original unit) lights come on in the tunnel and someone yells "thar she blows" or something like that. It is one of the neatest things I have seen. I can see many uses for this little gadget.

Good luck!

Eugene157

Jan 30, 2007
You record by speaking into the loudspeaker or holding a sound source next to it and push the button provided. It will save the recording even with the battery disconnected.
Gene

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Eugene157 said:
You record by speaking into the loudspeaker or holding a sound source next to it and push the button provided. It will save the recording even with the battery disconnected.
Gene
My daughter has a stuffed dog that does the same thing. You push it's right ear to record something and then push it's left ear to play it back. It will stay in the memory as long as you don't record anything else over it.

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
IIRC the guys at the hobby shop said it was easy to just disconnect the button to record so they wouldnt accidently record over it. However they also said it would be just as easy if they ever wanted to change it back. It sounds like a versatile little unit! They also found a way to hook it up to the DCC track power because of the location on the layout did not warrant battery replacement. I do not remember how they would have done this one though.

Eugene157

Jan 30, 2007
A bridge rectifier followed by a small 9V regulator would do it nicely. Including a bit of filtering , before and after the regulator.

The start playing button could be replaced by a reed switch and actuated by a magnet under the engine or cars.
This $10 device just begs to be used along the track route!!
Can also be used in a car or tender, again actuated by a magnet/reed switch or dcc or radio remote.
Gene

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
For those that have worked with reed switches, does a wave of the wand complete the circuit or must the wand stay in place for the circuit to be complete? Also what is the sensitivity of these reed switches? How close does the wand have to be to trip it? Lastly, will any magnet work? Thanks in advance, I might have an idea...

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
are they small enough to put in a loco tender or a dummy unit?if so you just found me a cheap upgrade for my locos and maybe even some stock cars...so many ideas so little time.

Eugene157

Jan 30, 2007
1/2 " spacing should do it, depending on the magnet.And the momentary close should get the player going. The specs are on the radio shack site including the user manual. Look for " 9 Volt recording module" part number 276-1323A, no size given , according to picture, foot print is similar to that of a 9v battery and app 1/4 inches thick. So that is pretty small.
I played with one a few years ago (when I used N gauge). Now with G scale , it will go anywhere.
Gene