1 x 3 ft town

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Bill Pontin, May 30, 2002.

1. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Still working on my "N" track modules, working on my town of "Grizzly Summit". Setting an entire town up in such a limited space has been a real challange, I drew on a lot of ideas put out in this forum, especially some of yours Charlie. Have built all the structures up to a point to get their footprint and every night for several weeks I would rearrange the whole town, think I got it now. The town is laid out on a piece of 1/8" ply which I plan on cutting up for each building and it's surrounding lot. This jig-saw puzzle like idea will allow me to work at my bench on each stucture and it's landscaping. I'm pretty sure I can hide all the seams with sidewalk overlaps on the road, hedge rows and what not. Working at a bench will allow for a lot more detailing without having to bend over the layout. Each structure section will get glued in place as I complete them. The blue masking tape is the road outline, that and the spur track bed will be one continuous and interesting looking piece.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Here is an overhead shot of the town. It should be pretty clear as to where I have to cut out and section the plywood for each structure.

Attached Files:

3. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Using my digital camera I was able to shot some structures I made on my home layout. I scaled, printed and attached them to foam. The foam I cut wedge shaped to provide a pleasing prespective.

Attached Files:

4. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

whoops, wrong picture, that shows them in place. This I hope is the one I wanted to show you.

Attached Files:

5. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Hey we even got a main street. The structures in the background are from the DPM website. Cheated by copying and scaling them.
    (Shame on me :rolleyes: )

Attached Files:

6. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Future site of Don Trustum's used car lot.:D

Attached Files:

7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Biull,
    You've done a great job of creating that illusion of depth, where there is actuall very little...
    I really like the way the RR, & the streets criss-cross through the town.
    Would love to see more!
  8. Catt

Catt Guest

This shold be good for more than a few ideas.:)
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks like the fun stage Bill setting up to get what feels right.
    The street level photo makes it all worth while. Great perspective.
  10. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Well I'm impressed! Can't wait to see more as the work progress's. :cool:
  11. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

That looks great, Bill! And that's a very clever way to arrange the "flats," too. Thanks for the inspiration!
  12. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Thanks fellows. Just when I think I got things nailed down, I see things and make a change here and there. I have a feeling that this setup can be an advantage and disadvantage. Have to reach a point and say "that's it, go with it and get started!" So much to do before September. Here is a shot of both modules together.

Attached Files:

13. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Haven't even laid the track yet

Attached Files:

14. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great realistic rock work Bill . Awesome scenery for passengers to see.
  15. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Bill,
    Terrific photo's and great idea for low relief structures, I was into N-scale some years ago, and did a similar kind of thing, but used real buildings cut up to represent structures in the town.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

That's some first class rockwork Bill, Great Job:cool:.
    Looks like you are doing it the way the real guys do it, Scenery first, Track second :D :D.
    Keep us posted.

Terry