Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by eatcrow2, Nov 29, 2006.
Thanks Jerzy... Much appreciated.
Have cut out and added the main deck.. So far no problems.
Showing hatch opening, and the deck below....
Time to start laying the first planking. Hard to tell in this pic, but I've sanded and beveled deck and frames to where it feels smooth and flush.
Parts for the first layer of planks..
Among many card builders I have seen that they fill the hull's frames with building foam to have better strength, than the excess is cut of and whole hull nicely sanded. It is just an idea Look inside that post for pictures:
Few days ago, you asked about the sails. The cross have been sprayed with acrylic paint over paper template. Slawek also has send me very small tutorial as how he makes sails:
Making Convex Sails
I know about the foam method, and was debating on whether or not to use it. Decided to give the paper method a try, and if I wasn't happy with the results, I would use foam on the next model.. I think if the openings between frames had been further apart, I would have used the foam. We will see how it goes...;-)
The tutorial on sail making is great, and that along with the other tips from that site will be quite helpful.. Give my thanks to Slawek. I appreciate both of you, for taking the time to respond..
Have finished the first layer of planking below the deck line.
Here I've given the hull a light sanding taking out any high spots.
that hull is looking pretty darn good!
I've not seen the double-planked method in a paper model before. I think it has a lot of merit. Your first layer looks very smooth...looking forward to seeing the second layer.
Lookin good Peter.
Thanks for all the comments.. The "paper on paper" method so far is working quite well. Though if the spacing between frames was wider, I would have tried something else.. Did not want to end up with a "starved cow look" when I start putting on the outside planking.. Have just been following the numbers, and it's working at the moment...
Here I thought of a way of getting my windows to have the "leaded glass" look that was on the printed part.. Used mesh from a sack that was holding some sort of veggie.. Cut to shape.. glued on the back.. painted gunmetal, and then coated with "Kristal Klear".. Came out better than I thought it would IMO.. Sort of getting ahead of myself on the build, but wanted to try this while the idea was fresh..
Windows are very, very clever, Peter.
Back to work on this.. Have set the pieces for the keel in place, plus the upper first layer of planking. You can also see where I've sanded the hull to take out any humps before I start gluing up the outside planks...
I just looked over this thread and I didn't see the Pinta.
what happened there was three ships on record.
The Nina The Pinta and the Santa Maria.
ShipYard in this set did not publish Pinta.
Only Nina and Santa Maria.
And if I remember correct, I am not specialist in this period ships, Pinta and Nina were very similar caravels if not really the same.
Have started the planking.. pic #1 shows the planks laminated on .05mm. pic #2 showing the inner bulwarks glued.. Nice to see something with color going on..
Peter: I love the leaded windows!
Thanks Jim.. Only way I could think of doing it. Plus it's nice when you can incorperate materials that you bring home from the market, and they work...;-)
Coming along beautifully, Peter!
I like the way you came up with a unique solution for the leaded windows, they came out great...rather clever indeed!
I noticed you laminated the colored planking sheets...was that something the instructions suggested? I hadn't thought of planking the outside hull planks and from the looks of it the inner bulwark pieces came out great using that method. As I figure it that should hopefully avoid that "starved cow" look planking sometimes gives a hull when the formers are so far apart. I've seen the use of foam on other builds/forums, and it's an interesting solution to filling in the voids between the formers and gives a nice look especially on the models of steel hulled vessels. I haven't tried it either, trying to keep the build to a paper medium for the most part when I can as well...but it does result in some very nicely done hulls from what I've seen.
As always, a beautiful build, Peter! Looking forward to more as you continue.
here is a couple images of Nina and Pinta
Separate names with a comma.