1/96 Scale Big Gemini Resupply Spacecraft

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by SAustin16, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Space Cadets,

Jon Leslie has graciously hosted my first spacecraft design, a 1/96 scale Big Gemini Resupply Spacecraft. It's now available on his Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Egiftshop.

I hope you enjoy it.

Steve Austin

Attached Files:

2. vipers7

vipers7 Member

Great: I am a big fan of the "what if" models. Lars Folmann's Saturn C8 was (an still is) amazing.:thumb:

3. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Outstanding Steve! What's next? Still some modern probes that are unavailable - Chinese and Indian Moon orbiters, lot's of Soviet era Venera/Luna ones as well, and of course Phobos/Grunt to the moon of Mars (gotta' love the name).

4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Guys. I hope you like the model.

My next task is to develop instructions for the HL-10, then get it published. Shouldn't be too extensive, but a little time-consuming. Hopefully by the end of this weekend.

I have a few things on the burner right now including the Saturn 260" SRB, Saturn V-23 LRB, Bell BOMI, and a few other little surprises. The first three are almost complete, just a few finishing touches to go.

There are so many "what if" manned projects from the 1960's that I'll probably never exhaust the list. I just want to celebrate what should have been the next steps after the Apollo program was cut short, and bring to life in card models what was actually designed but never built by the aerospace engineering community.

I just wish I wasn't slow as molasses, and had more time.
  5. Funtime Cthulhu

Funtime Cthulhu New Member

Looks like a fun design!

I've seen info about the Big Gemini concept before, but I don't know too much about how it was supposed to fit into the space program. Was it a stand-alone to support the Gemini-based space stations, or a support vehicle for Apollo applications? I'm interested if you have any details on it's history.

Also, if you know what type of booster they intended to use for Big Gemini, please let me know.

That could be a fun project, too! :)
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Funtime,

Sorry for the delay in responding, as I haven't logged on here for a while.

Big Gemini was originally intended to support both military and scientific space stations. The best reference I know of is Mark Wade's Astronautix.com website.

The intended boosters depended on the version of Big Gemini to be launched. Titans and Saturns were considered.

7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Heya Steve! :wave:

Good to see you again... don't be a stranger, we need someone to show these youngin's the right end of a spacecraft! :mrgreen:
  8. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Chris,

I was just looking up at my build of your wonderful Saturn SA-5 as I saw your response. I've been a little busy with family, work, and such, and haven't been able to focus on modeling. Hopefully back at it soon.

Pointy end up, hot end down...correct? LOL
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Unless you're establishing a re-entry parabola, but that's another matter altogether. :mrgreen:

I understand about family and work, believe me... seems the older you get the less time you have in the day.
  10. Funtime Cthulhu

Thanks much, Steve,

I took a look at the link you posted, and did some more hunting on the subject. Found some good Big Gemini info!

Speaking of Gemini.... Went to KSC this past weekend for the STS-130 launch. The Gemini-Titan is missing from the rocket garden. I assume they've taken it down for cleaning/repair. Some of the displayed spacecraft are in rough condition after years of exposure to the elements.

In fact, it looked like the LES tower had recently broken off the Saturn 1b... Ragged edges and bent metal near the attachment points!

The old Jupiter C (Juno 1) launch gantry at Cape Canaveral's Air Force museum was dismantled recently, too. One of the museum staff told me that it was taken down before it fell down... More severe corrosion issues!

It makes me sad to see the condition of some of those display rockets. The good news is that they're fixing them up as fast as they can. Just takes time to get the funds together...

At least the Saturn V is indoors now! It's in excellent condition!

Best wishes! And keep up the good work!
  11. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

After visiting KSC in 2006 (after some of the big hurricanes), I wondered myself how the rockets hold up in the salt air and extreme weather they are subject to. All of the rockets are the "real thing", meant to be launched, not suffer in the rain and sun for decades.

The KSC Saturn V is a real jewel. I was in awe when I finally saw it. Every inch of it is so well thought-out and functional, true "engineering art".

I'm hoping to see a shuttle launch before the last one ... The way our leadership has canceled US manned spaceflight, it's unlikely I will have another chance in my lifetime. What a pity for our children and grandchildren.

I wish you the best in your research. Gemini (the "Gus-Mobile") was always my favorite program, and Big Gemini (the "Gus-Mobile" with a living room...LOL) just made it better.
  12. Funtime Cthulhu

Please check out a shuttle launch while there's time left! They are a truly awesome sight!!

And... They've added a full motion space shuttle launch simulator! (surgery required to remove grin after riding that! LOL )

They've hidden lots of good artifacts at the KSC museums. If ya wanna hit everything in detail, plan on spending 4 days!
    Gemini is well represented. Gemini IX is at the KSC visitor's center. A Gemini trainer is at the Astronaut Hall of Fame... Just past Gus Grissom's
    flight suit and Wally Schirra's Sigma 7. Also, Gemini II is at the Cape Canaveral AFB museum. It flew unmanned on a Titan II for the NASA Gemini program,
    then on a Titan III as a full-scale test of the Air Force MOL program!

More good news.... Please pass this on to everyone you know that follows spaceflight... Constellation/Ares is NOT dead.

As you probably know, the space program is connected with lots of jobs in lots of states. As a result, there is a lot of bipartisan support in congress to continue
    the program.

Late last year, some congressmen got wind that the administration planned to cancel Ares. If you recall that 900 billion-or-so dollar spending bill that was passed right
    before Christmas? Congress added language to that bill to strip the President of his power to cancel NASA space programs without congressional approval.

Since Obama signed that bill into law, his ability to cancel or modify NASA programs is extremely limited!

All the talk coming from the White House concerning the death of the Ares program is nothing but a "wish list".

Right now, support of the Ares program is one of the few items that has bipartisan support in congress! There's a good chance that Ares and Constellation will survive with few changes! :)
  13. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Well, that is some truly GOOD news regarding the space program! I was hoping that at least the employment factor would garner support.

Looks like I'm going to have to take some tiime for another trip to KSC and the surrounding museums soon ... oh darn.
  14. Funtime Cthulhu

Coolness, Steve! Hope ya get to visit KSC soon!

BTW... have downloaded your Big Gemini... I'm trying to build a "what-if" launch vehicle.

Big Gemini riding on a Saturn II launch vehicle! There are several hypothetical "Saturn II" designs floating around on the internet, but I'll probably stick with a design I saw on the Astronautix.com site. Thanks for that link, too! :)
  15. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Love the Saturn II idea. Please post pictures when you complete it. I'd love to see it. I was hoping this little model would be modules within larger models. Good luck.
  16. Funtime Cthulhu

Just got back from another KSC visit! This time it was the 40th anniversary of Apollo 13!

Fred Haise and Jim Lovell showed up and gave a great presentation! Brought tears to mah eyes a couple of times!

Anyway... Big Gemini is coming along. I'm using a Saturn C-2 booster design for it. That was one of the unused "Saturn-II" designs. The C-2 is basically a Saturn 1B first stage, a stretched-tank S-4B with two J-2 engines for the second stage. And a modified S-4 with it's six RL-10 engines makes up the third stage.

Most of that is complete. I added extra ullage rockets to the interstage, and just have a few details to add to the S-1.

I've started assembly of the Big Gemini capsule, and I'm working on a clean mating joint with the top of the S-4.

I need to post a few more comments before this site will let me post image links. Then I'll have some WIP pictures for ya!
  17. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures of the Saturn/Gemini.

Apparently we just missed each other at KSC. My wife surprised me with tickets for the Causeway view of the STS-131 launch two weeks ago. AWESOME dark morning launch, with the ISS passing overhead right by the moon about 8 minutes before the Shuttle launched. Completely awe inspiring.

This country will be lost without a manned space program.
  18. Funtime Cthulhu

Here's the work in progress pictures of the Big Gemini on the Saturn C2 booster! Sorry about the poor camera quality... Enjoy da rocket!

And a bonus Apollo 13 pic!!

Glad you got to see STS-131 go up. I went to STS-130, but had to miss it due to the 24 hour scrub! ARRRGH! (work the next day)

I've been to 4 Shuttle launches in my life, but only seen 1 from NASA Causeway East! ---STS-4! The whole world rocks and rolls when you're that close! That's a great viewing area!

1st and 2nd stages- parts from Ton Noteboom's Saturn 1b.
    3rd stage- parts from Surfduke's SA-6, rescaled.
    Big Gemini upper stage kit by SAustin16.
  19. Cloud_Ratha

Cloud_Ratha New Member

Great Stuff Funtime!!

looks perfect!
  20. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

You can't imagine how happy I am to see the Big Gemini on top of a Saturn. Excellent work. Hope you're having fun with it.