1/96 Saturn I SA-1/Atlas Centaur 10 finished

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Apr 22, 2009.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi All,:mrgreen:

A few photo,s of two more models I have just finished.

A big thanks to GERD for telling me about problems he encountered with Surfduke,s SA1 design build and for the link to the Atlas-Centaur 10:thumb::thumb:.

The Atlas Centaur build was very straight forward but alas the same cannot be said for Surfdukes SA1 buildwall1
    I have wasted a lot of time on Adobe Illustrator resizing and wasting ink and cardstock getting all the parts to fit.
    Gerd pointed out that Surfdukes scale at 1/72 for his design was incorrect.
    To accomplish 1/96 I had to resize to around 87%,I used my SA5 build as a scale reference as they were roughly the same height (SA1:163ft/SA5:164ft).
    But everything from the main engine housing to the nosecone was not a perfect fit with pieces requiring resizing from 84% to 95%:curse:
    I am very pleased with the finished product at least my future SA4 build should be a lot easier as it uses mainly the same parts as SA1 but I do not know whether my SA6 build that I about to start will have the same problems.......

P.S In the last photo SA1 looks smaller but it is the same height as SA5 it just sits lower on the stand as it has no fins:oops:

Attached Files:

2. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Very cool.. Love the display you have too.
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

Please accept my kudos, as well. Two fine-looking rockets added to a collection that is already very impressive.

I always liked the look of the Atlas-Centaur, and your model is inspiring.
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Excellent work! I've always liked the Centaur and want to build one in 1:96 one of these days.
  5. gpw

gpw Member

Hi Wayne,

it´s a pleasure to support you and seeing your fantastic collection growing. Again two perfect builds (and as you mentioned SA1 is not so easy :curse: !!). Great job.

I can hardly wait to see SA4 and a growing collection of rocket history. :thumb::thumb::thumb: