1'*8' N-gauge Yard

oshta

Dec 26, 2003
Cheshire, UK
www.spurstow.com
OK i currently have a 4*7 layout, (approxamatly a figure of eight) and im planning to add a 1*8' yard to the back of it any i was wondering is any one had any ideas on a track plan???

- I'll post a picture of the exsiting layout and my ideas ASAP

-thanks daniel (UK)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Daniel, and welcome to the gauge from another UK guy.
If you can post a pic of the plan, it would help us all in trying to help you.
Cheers
Shamus

oshta

Dec 26, 2003
Cheshire, UK
www.spurstow.com
yeah thanks

- the yard, well, that layout is not going to be a display peice, and i'm not one of these people who studys "correct" running time (no offence if you do) so mainly is a "switching puzzle" as u call it

- my plans so far a below (sorry for the quality, the digi camara is borked) im not sure WHAT i what, except i what a turntable (so i can have fun making it work!!) and a small three track engine shed with coal/water faclitys

- so im liking the way the right hand side it working

- i also what a station some were big enought to get my tennder loco and three or four carrages into :)

- not at all sure about the rest tho - hence the question marks, hope this is clear (ish)

12.26.03-21:46:59birdseye-draw.jpg

- thanks daniel

oshta

Dec 26, 2003
Cheshire, UK
www.spurstow.com
Re: yard plan

Originally posted by screwysquirrel
5x1_01.gif

- yeah well that looks pritty good, apart from the lack of turntable i quite like it, and one got any other idears????

- as i will need a little "adaption" to connect with the layout, but yeah, that looks ok :)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
How easy is it for you to reach accross the layout to the area you are making into a switching yard? It looks like you have enough access if a train derails to get it back on the tracks, but I think having to lean over the layout to work a switching yard might get old. May I suggest a small detachable shelf that you would fit to the front of the layout when operating. You could use door hinges to mount it to the layout, and then pull the pins for storage. A couple of angle brackets on the wall above where the layout comes to when stored would get the shelf out of the way when not in use. Your shelf in back could then be used for a staging yard to store trains when not in use and allow you to bring a train out onto the mainline when operating.

oshta

Dec 26, 2003
Cheshire, UK
www.spurstow.com
Well as you say acces it to amazing, but its not to bad, Im planning to electrify all the points

ans i can get to both ends easly and reaching over to the middle is not to hard, plus its on with removeable pin hinges, so for laying and other big jobs i can just take the layout away

- to im fairly happy - and i realy havent got any more room at all!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by oshta
Well as you say acces it to amazing, but its not to bad, Im planning to electrify all the points

ans i can get to both ends easly and reaching over to the middle is not to hard, plus its on with removeable pin hinges, so for laying and other big jobs i can just take the layout away

- to im fairly happy - and i realy havent got any more room at all!!

How do you plan to uncouple and couple cars?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by oshta

URMM - leaning and a few auto uncouplers (anyone got any idears)

I think the easiest way to uncouple automatically is with magnetic uncoupling ramps hidden under the track. The problem is that the cars will tend to uncouple anytime they roll accross the uncouplers. A fix for that is to hinge the magnets on a crank operated by a cable so the magnets are rotated down out of the way until you want ot uncouple, then a pull on a cable like an automotive choke cable swings the magnet up into position to uncouple cars. You could also use the electric uncoupling magnets, but they are very expensive, and have to be used as momentary contact to keep from burning them out. The biggest problem I've seen is with coupling. Even with centering springs and free couplers, sometimes on curves, or for whatever reasons, the couplers won't line up to couple and it is necessary to manuver them into position to couple. If that problem occurs in a hard to reach place, your enjoyment of the layout will decrease in direct proportion the the number of times you have to deal with it.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Perhaps this will help you. This is a basic plan from the Ten Commandments of Yard layout www.housatonicRR/yard.com
Lengthening your storage tracks and your yard lead would be in my mind a priority from an operational standpoint.From a modeling standpoint the service structures are nice to have.

Attachments

• yd_sampl.jpg
    yd_sampl.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 74