1/72 Tie Fighter

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sjsquirrel, Sep 22, 2007.

1. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

A while back I built the 1/100 scale Tie Fighter by Alberto.
    It'a great model, but recently I decided I wanted to standardize my models on 1/72 scale. So, I rescaled the original pattern from Alberto and built myself a new one. I've also rescaled the Tie Interceptor (but haven't built it yet), and will do the Tie Bomber eventually as well.

Here's a pic.

Many Thanks to Alberto for producing this fabulous model!

2. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I love Alberto's TIE Fighters! :mrgreen: I did this as well, only I used the Interceptor's body to replace the TIE Fighter's cockpit. It's a whole lot more accurate and it looks great when finished. Someone mistook my TIE for a plastic model once. They are great little kits.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That looks great! It upscaled very well. You can barely see the seams on the sphere! :D
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

wow very nice clean build!:mrgreen:
  5. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

So, sjsquirrel, you gonna do a 1/72 Death Star, too? It should roughly be the size of a city square block. Now THAT I would love to see. sign1

Good work on the TIE fighter. Looking forward to seeing your other SW builds. :thumb:
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

1/72 Tie

I have a 1/72 Battlestar Galactica to do first :twisted:

I cleaned up the pattern a lot after I scaled it up, and the cockpit I assembled, sanded smooth, then painted with watercolor to hide the seams as much as possible. It was an experiment to see how well the process would work, and I was quite pleased with the result. Mind you I did end up building the cockpit twice because of various foul-ups. I also built up the detailing on the solar panels an extra layer or two.

Millenniumfalsehood - Great tip about the Interceptors body - I wish I'd known that sooner. I'm really looking forward to building the Interceptor. I'm doing three of Dr Zarkovs 1/48 scale Spitfires at the moment - one for my brother, one for a friend, and a scaled down to 1/72 version for my self. It's my first experiment with assembly lining multiple models. It's kind of fun!

7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Howdy Steve.. Very nice build mate, I think I'll have to put this one on the build list, the standard/original TIE is still my favourite.. * you just need a squadron of those little buggers and the 'Sphere O fear' in the background.

Has anyone developed a Death Star 'hanger' ?.. might make an interesting diorama /display case for TIE's..

Oh yeaahh..I've always wondered how do they park them? hanging from the ceiling like bats?.. Anyone got pics of a TIE docked?

8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

They are clamped at the pylons. The rings that go around each arm of the ship mate magnetically to clamps in the cieling of the hangar(these rings are part of the TIE Interceptor kit by Alberto). On Star Destroyers the clamps are mounted to a railway system that transfers them from the fighter bay to the launch bays on the sides of the main hangar.

They *can* land on their wings, but it puts strain on the connections to the pylons. It is only done when the fighter needs to be serviced, I believe. TIE interceptors do not have the ability to land on their wings due to the bend in the wing being a fracture point.