1/72 Albatros D.I Prototype Build

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by ECJohnson, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Are the airliners on the same standard?
    Certainly would like to see those!
  2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wow, that's quite an extensive and interesting collection, Eric.

Yeah, if you started offering your designs you'd see me in that line as well.:) I imagine you could offer them as downloaded kits from one of the online retailers, or your own webpage, whichever works best for you. I think that is an excellent way to offer models to the greatest customer base, and something that is quite unique to our hobby.

I can see you've been very busy...other than the two links you provided of your earlier designs, do you have photos of the other models you finished? I'd like to see the 727-200; what livery colors did you decide upon for her? If and when you consider the Fokker DVII I'd love to see her too, naturally.:grin:

3. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi Jim,

I have no photos of planes that I've done. I didn't get a digital camera until last Chirstmas. I don't have any space to display my models so I give them away after I build them. Now that I have the camera, I'm re-building all of my models and taking photos of them. Next up is the D.H.5. I did post a few pictures of my AEG C.IV a few weeks ago. Here's the forum link:

I've only done one livery for the 727 and it's the last Western Airlines livery. I'm thinking of doing a series of liveries of airlines that don't exist anymore but I need to rework the model before I do that. I used to make commercial packages for Microsoft Flight Simulator (That's the source for a good portion of the base geometery for my paper models) and we got into some trouble with American Airlines for using their logo so I was thinking that the best way to avoid that in the future is to do liveries of airlines that don't exist anymore.

I will eventually offer my models for sale, but I'm not ready to make the leap from hobby to commercial enterprise yet. I've done this once before with Flight Simulator and it turned a hobby that I really enjoyed into work. I eventually got burned out and quit the hobby. When I discovered electronic paper models (I stumbled across Fiddlersgreen) a few years back, it renewed my interest in modeling and I'm having fun right now so I need to figure out how to sell them while still maintaining the sense of fun.

4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I hear you loud and clear, Eric.

In my former life as a wooden ship modeler :grin: I heard many stories of modelers who started doing commission work only to find they did not enjoy themselves as much...a project takes on a different feeling when you are building for someone else, and not for your own pleasure, and have to start dealing with deadlines. I suppose it's the inverse of the old Tom Sawyer story...when you have to do something it tends to be work and is no longer fun.:grin:

Thanks for the link...VERY nice build!

5. kampfflieger

kampfflieger Member

Perfect work, Eric! I like it!