1/72 Albatros D.I Prototype Build

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by ECJohnson, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi all,
    I have just completed the prototype build of my next design: a 1/72 scale Albatros D.I. The spinner needs a little work but the rest of the plane fit together really well. This is my 15th different design and I am feeling like I'm finally getting the hang of it.

From this basic design, I'll be able to create an Albatros D.II, D.III and W.4

2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Looks great! At 1/72, it must be pretty small. What's the overall length?
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Practice Makes Perfect...,

I agree you've passed the apprentice phase and now moved into the Yeoman status. Now for a little paint and wire. It occured to me that these would make a great "dogfight" hanging mobile...,

Best regards,

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very Nice Indeed!
    I was hoping it would only take me a hundred designs to get that good!:roll:

5. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Length: 4 1/8"
    Wing Span: 4 5/8"
  6. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi Gil,

Colors are coming.I'm planning two versions:
    D.384/16 Pilot - Prince Friedrich Karl von Preusen
    D.390/16 Pilot - Lt.Otto Hohne

I'll leave the wires to you...

7. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very nice !!!

And very detailed for 1/72.

Are this models availables from some publisher or an any form ?
  8. Krzychu74

Krzychu74 Member

ECJohnson: your Albatros looks very nice! :)
    I congratulate you interesting design.

Best regards.
  9. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi Alcides,

I don't have a web site and I'm not selling them.

I do think that I will start selling them some day and I have started working on the package design:

I have also posted two of my designs here at Cardmodels.net. Here are the forum links:

Have fun!,
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looking great, Eric! Also, I like your cover page for the model. Great start! Good luck with it!

11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Any Albotross C versions in the wings?
  12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

That's very impressive work, Eric! You certainly have a wonderful talent, wish I could design something a tenth as nice.:cry:

Just wondering, not that you take requests, but have you considered trying your hand at designing a Fokker DVII? I am probably sounding like an old record, but that is one plane that has surprisingly seen little attention by paper model designers (save for the excellent series by FG). That's my favorite WWI plane and it would be nice to see someone offer a model or two of her in different color schemes.

Anyway, brilliant work! Thanks for sharing pictures of your superb work...you really should consider selling them, I know I would be interested in them.

13. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Here's the models I've done and the ones I'm working on. They are all 1/72 scale except the airliners which are 1/144 scale.

Completed designs:
    A.D. Scout-Sparrow
    A.E.G. C.II
    A.E.G. C.IV
    Airco D.H.2
    Airco D.H.4
    Airco D.H.5
    Beardmore W.B.III
    Boeing 727-200
    Cessna 140
    Nieuport 11
    Nieuport 16
    Republic F-84F
    Sopwith Pup
    Sopwith Triplane

Designs in Progress:
    A.E.G. B.II
    A.E.G. D.I
    A.E.G. Dr.I
    A.E.G. J.I
    Aeromarine AS-1
    Aeromarine AS-2
    Airbus A.300-600
    Albatros D.I
    Albatros D.II
    Albatros D.III
    Albatros W.4
    Armstrong Whitworth F.K.10 Quad
    Austin Triplane
    Boeing 727-100
    Bristol F.2B
    R.A.F. S.E.5.a
    Wight Quadriplane
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.............. I missed the F-84............... guess I should stop mine.......:oops:

15. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi Jim,

I don't have any immediate plans to do any Fokkers. As you can see from my previous post, my muse takes me in strange directions. About the only thing that is somewhat consistent is that most of my model interest revolves around WWI so I guess if I stick at it long enough, a D.VII will eventually appear...

16. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

Hi John,

Keep going on the F-84! It is one of my early designs and I think it's pretty average at best. That's why I haven't let anybody see it yet! I want to re-work it before I show it off.

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Impressive list! Even in 1/72 the plane looks pretty detailed. Great work! I sense a stirring in the force, many differant WW1 builds pulling me that way, must wait for it!
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I think you plane looks great. It is really clean.
  19. kooklik

kooklik Member

Very cool and nice prototype. Waiting for the color version.
  20. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

You have a very interesting list and some very nice designs. Should you make them available, I would be custumer!