1:60 Crawler Transporter Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Sep 9, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Sorry about the non descriptive tile before....this is better.

Last night I was able to laminate all the foam core to the interior sides of the crawler body. Today it's all dry and VERY sturdy.

The top sheets have been printed out so I hope to have them all laminated and installed today. I'll be extending the foam core into the corner assemblies as this will be the weakest point.

Bye for now.

Attached Files:

2. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I have to ask, why 1:60 ?
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

To go along with this gorgeous build ;)
  4. George B

George B Senior Member

Main body complete

The main body is complete and went together nicely. I was able to reinforce the weak point at the corners (see first photo) by extending out the foam core from the main body. I'm confident that it will be very solid when dry.

Second photo just shows the overall size of the completed body. Truck assemblies are next.

Attached Files:

5. George B

George B Senior Member

Truck Assemblies

Hello everyone,

I finished building the four truck assemblies. Foam core was again used on the inside to re-enforce them. They passed my weight test using my metal paper cutter as seen in photo #1. :mrgreen:

Photo #3 shows another area I felt need re-enforcing because of the scale I'm working in. 5/16" wooden dowels have been cut to 3" in length with the ends inserted into a pencil sharpener to taper them. The ends of these will then be glued into holes cut into the foam core both on the trucks and the crawler. The center will simply be a larger dowel (which I'll have to buy). The combination of five points at each corner should be strong enough to support the LUT.

That's it for tonight.

Attached Files:

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks awesome! you are doing a spectacular job and thanks for all the reinforcement tips!
  7. George B

George B Senior Member

Well supported

The wooden dowels really added to the Crawlers ability to support a substantially heavier load then the LUT, without doubt. :thumb:

I'm moving onto the best part now......detailing!!

Until then,

Attached Files:

8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

really really cool

John John
  9. dhanners

dhanners Member

Words escape me, but "WOW!" is a good start.

Great work, and thanks for sharing the photos.

If you next tell us that you're going to build the whole pad, I'm throwing my X-acto knives and glue in the trash....
  10. lairdre

lairdre Member

Resin LUT

Have you seen this site: Launch Complex Models
    Resin Models of the lut and transporter in the $800 range. I think yours looks just as good or better.
  11. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

The Crawler Transporter looks GREAT!!:thumb::thumb:
    When you place the MLP & LUT on top,The grand design of it all comes together.
    Enjoy the detailing of the CT!!!.....

12. gippolot

gippolot Member

That is BEAUTIFUL.

What will be the final height George?

13. gpw

gpw Member

Wow, that´s unbelievable. What a spectacular model. My deepest respect for realizing this built. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I am looking forward to see the complete model with Saturn. A Saturn 1B would be very interesting! ;)

14. George B

George B Senior Member

Crawler Details

Hey Guys,

I've been working on some of the details on the crawler trucks. Items include the cylinders and propel motors. On the subject of the propel motors, I deleted the rotor image which is part of the end of the motor and paint it (in PS) plain gray. I then added the rotor as a separate piece which sticks out with a spacer from the motor. Using Photoshop, I painted in the two calipers on each rotor for some extra detail as well. The dust boot detail on the cylinders and their attachment points were other small additions.

I must clarify that these additions were done solely because of the enlarged scale I'm working in. At the original 1:144 this would not be necessary as the kit's detail is excellent at that scale.

Until next time.

Attached Files:

15. sakrison

sakrison Member

Where is the original kit available?
  16. George B

George B Senior Member

17. George B

George B Senior Member

Today I was able to install railings on two corners. Instead of a solid railing I've been cutting out all the openings as I think it adds to the look.

At the rate I'm going I should have the entire crawler wrapped in railings and walkways by the end of this weekend. They fit great!

I'll post my progress Sunday night.

Until then,

Attached Files:

18. George B

George B Senior Member

Railings-walkways complete

Hey guys,

Well I'm ahead of schedule. I have all the walkways and railings installed. It looks awesome when all the pieces come together and it actually starts looking like the crawler. :yep:

I'm moving on to some smaller details which I thought of while cutting out all the railings. I'll post photos when I have everything worked out and installed.

Bye for now,

Attached Files: