1:50th scale yamato

missymouse

Dec 25, 2005
ok guys....... i'm gonna do it. i scaned in the last parts of the halinski yamato and enlarged them 300% which is roughly 1:50th scale or will be a 17 foot long model. they're all there and will be just liek gutiblaster's bismarck on kartonbau.de cept muuuuuuuuuuuch larger. i'll have to figure out a way to break the hull in half for transport but in a few months i'll be getting them printed out at kinkos on A3 paper and the frames allcut out of MDF board and used as a buck for a fiberglass hull. the deck will be balsa with very very thin white oak venere strips. on;y the super structure, guns and other parts will be paper, props will be breyilium/bronze scale props and rudders cast resin. power will come from 4 12 volt 10 amp gel cell batteries and will have lights and a detailed wheel house. i plan on officialy starting construction in august.

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
For the price that Kinkos will charge you why not buy something like the HP 1220c A3+ printer...gives you more control and quality printing than a store would....

I highly reccomend you get the Anatomy of the Ship Yamato...its the only reason Im able to get enough research in to build my 1/98 R/C Yamato.

John John

Good Golly, Miss Molly!!!

I'm having flashbacks from that movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"!

You know the part where that guy builds a mountain in his living room?!?

Pictures of your build are a must! I've got to see this!

Your a gal after a modeler's heart!

You will definately have the close attention of everyone here for quite a while!

Oh yeah! There has to be a christening when it is completed!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hiya, Missymouse!:)

Oh, boy! This is gonna be a wopper of a model!:grin:

I hope you post some photos as you build, this will certainly be something to see!

I look forward to seeing your build. I know there is a link somewhere of a very large model of an F104 Starfighter somewhere out there being built in what looks like a garage, but I can't recall the link...this is going to probably surpass that by far!

Go for it!!:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

missymouse

Dec 25, 2005
well probly around mothers day my mom will be getting a new digital camera and i might get her old one. but right now the 1:200th yamato is on hold while i continue to work on my 3rd regulus trawler by fly model, already got 2 named vivian and abigale and need a name for the 3rd one. i got the hull all finished, need to re-glue the rudder and also a little detail tip for any one who may want to build it. the rudder skin can be cut in to 2 seperate parts and throw away the strip of scrap paper that showed the gap and glue the skins back together with some copy paper and be sure to get the gap correct and even and you'll have a good bit of easy detail :) also on a real trawler like the regulus, i happen to live in the monterey bay area in california and have easy acess to 2 large boat yards with full public acess and found that most single screw trawlers over 200 feet have 5 "lug" nuts that hold the prop on to the hub plate with a center jam nut that you have to tie some retaining wire in the threads. if i get the digital camera and you need good pix, tell me what you want and i'll see if i can get permission. some of the fishing boat owners will have no problem letting you on to take reference and detail pix while some others if you look at them wrong...better run fast.

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
1/50th scale

Four years ago, I enlarged some parts of the Beowulf from HMV, only for fun, and built up the twin front turrets with their base as well as the motorboat and dinghies of the battle ship Brandenburg: you have to take care with the thickness of the paper much more than usual. I totally agree with NYC Irish about buying an A3 printer, and why not the Epson A3+, moreover it allows you trying a first shot to check the fitting, and you don't even need spending colour cartridges on purpose. This seems to me important, considering the hull, whose curves can be smoothened, for I am afraid of the raw appearance a hull simply enlarged to 1/50 th could have, without any modifications.
Be careful to weather variations, heat and moisture: this affects the height and the width of the sheets of paper differently, on the contrary it is not a matter with common model scales. The same way, a sheet you glued perfectly flat one day may be curved later on: to prevent warping, old painters, five centuries ago, when painting on wood, did not forget to paint both sides of the board.

Your work could have been quoted by Georges Bataille as an example of the "dépense inutile", it is of that stuff real artists are!

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
If I may show you what you will be dealing with at 1/96 in a room

Mu hull
xlm6oi.jpg

And you want to go 1/50???

Well go ahead...you bananna

Might I suggest you build the superstructure and everything else 1st, then the hull?....more room available till the last...

John John

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Yamato does seem to drive modelers to unimagineable extremes. Think of the 1/10 scale monster in Japan. Now Americans are being infected with this craze. My hat's off to you guys for your ambition. Just looking at the hulls scares me. All the hours of work ahead of you. The hulls look great, though. What are they made of? What is the expected date of commissionings?

I think I will keep working in small scales.