Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tirick, Nov 27, 2009.
This is going to be a totally awesome build, wish I had some time to do a beta version of it.
You created my favorite sw ship. Looks great!
Tirick, I DL's the cockpit part of this and hope to get to it soon. I wasn't able to get my print order in before the end of the week, so I'll add this and send the order out monday.
Stunning, stunning stuff. Can't wait to build this one.
This is looking really good
You're right, you're absolutely right and we cannot wait to see your work.:thumb:
*hangs head in shame*
I am super-slow, easily distracted, have too many hobbies/projects and I really mis-like texturing.
That said: more progress!
As stated (somewhere in the distant past) it is my fervent hope to complete the sections up to the engine nacelle (see the last pic) by the end of this year. Moving it into Pepakura should be a snap after that.
The collar is more or less a complete redo of the original. it is wider for one, with a different join design (with additional stop-collars for the cockpit pod). It is as close to the filming model as I can make it, given some of the design limitations due to the pod design.
I have some major mods to make going forward, particularly on the wing elements (the angle on the back is not acute enough, relative to the filming model, for example, and the gear-guide base is too wide/long), so that might stall progress, but we'll see. The real roadblock at this stage is the siren lure of Skyrim.
Thank you for your patience. I do this for me, but I hate letting any of you down with my glacial rate of progress.
This looks incredible. A definate build for my collection.
Don't feel bad about a slow rate of progress. I've got projects in my hard drive that I've been working on for years.
At least you can texture well; I'm abysmal at texturing anything with the remotest possibility of detail.
Regardless, this will be the ultimate paper B-wing, that's for sure. Right up there with imcold's X-wing. :thumb:
Some how the level of detail has gone up...sky high.
First a great Xwing and now a great Bwing..
two thumbs up!
i will follow this closely:thumb:
The amount of work in this is evident in the detailing. Awesome!:inw:
Thank you for your comments!
More progress! I completely remodeled the wing sections shown (and considerably modified the joining sections). I am much happier with the overall shape, and am confident that it matches the filming model (as near as I can make it anyway). I still need to model the armour panels, and then I'm on to texturing. I'm not certain yet if I will include (or even need) formers inside the wing sections. In a way, the end caps should make good formers.
I may (or may not have) mentioned earlier that in the full final release I will likely release the texture maps. By the time I'm done I doubt I'll have the heart for repaint options.
In case you are wondering, yes, the shelf at the top of section #2 forming a ring around section #1 are intentional, and are close to the gaps in the filming model. The filming model actually has a rounded edge, making it less obvious, but the shelf is there.
Without formers, she'll breakup upon re-entry.:twisted:
More progress! It is surprising how the difficulty scale of texturing is reduced the more detail there is in the actual mesh. You'll note that the armor panel halves of section 1 are not completely symmetrical. This matches the filming model.
I should note that in the interests of preserving my sanity, I am not going to attempt to replicate battle damage (and probably handling damage after 20 years). Mostly this is so that I can use symmetrical textures, but also it allows modelers who want a 'clean' model to have one. Black/grey paint is easy to apply, as well as 'damage' holes after the model is built.
Nice work! This is an amazing job you're doing here.
Section #2 and #3 are modeled and textured, although neither are in their complete form. Currently they are in their 'mirror' state, but some major changes to Section 2 are required to fit the mating elements for the fuel pods (or whatever they are). I cheated the fit in the original prototype, overlapping the section. I will endeavor to match the filming model in this part however, which is more of a cutaway.
Section 3 has some changes to it, but mostly cosmetic. The filming model is missing an armour panel on the port side, with exposed inner workings, which I will aim to model. I will include the armour panel for those who which to leave it covered.
I had aimed to get at least this far by Christmas. I however, have a bit of a bug to take this a bit further before I make another release, making at the least the fittings for the fuel pods and the modifications to Section 2 required to fit them.
I hope you know that everybody admires your work. After X-wing I really want to build up this sweetie (and Shrike and Otana and Kodiak and... everybody understands )
I can´t wait to see another progress :thumb:
Wow! This looks a heck of a lot better with those textures! :thumb:
I'm really looking forward to this one. Those Imperial Star Destroyers of mine need a worthy adversary, and the B-wing certainly qualifies:
Channeling motivation, your way!
Separate names with a comma.