Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tirick, Nov 27, 2009.
yes , very sexy.... indeed
There's not been a lot of time, between work and holiday business, to work on this, but I've finished rough modeling the turbolaser on the end of the main blade and I've completed the main attachment points and hinges for the structure.
This means the next phase is setting the cutaway sections and adjusting all of the main parts for fit-up. I'll hope to be ready with a prototype print by the end of the year, which will include all of the main parts of the assembly, including the base cockpit sections and canopy (still have to refine the actual hinge for that).
Wow, it has taken a while, but I'm about 60% done the model adjustments to allow for paper fit-up. Al that remains (of course) are the hard parts; the hinge for the wings (and the stop-block to allow posing), the tip gun attachment points, and the turbolaser attachment points. The good news of course is that once all of that is done, I'll be essentially well past the 1/2 marker for modeling (just detailing and greeble after that, and will have no worries about assembly).
I was tired of playing with the model, so I started the process of converting to .pdo. I finished the prototype cockpit, which has come out at 3 pages. Low on ink here, I'll likely wait until Tuesday (when I work again) to print the prototype pages on our laser printer at work.
I've never considered this before, but if anyone is interested in building a copy of the prototype, please drop me a PM. I think on something this big, extra eyes/hands could certainly be an asset.
I've started the assembly at long last; it is a slow process as there are a lot of parts. I have the main cockpit body completed now though; just need to build the easy chair and the canopy. There were a few minor fit-up issues, but all in all it assembled like a dream.
Starting the assembly
Cockpit pt 1
Cockpit pt 2
I plan to get the sleeve/guide finished this weekend, but even the best laid plans can fall apart.
That is looking very sharp. I can't wait to see the final result! :mrgreen:
Not much progress, but I did manage to get the hinge and canopy put together, as well as the easy-chair and some of the cockpit greeble. I'm very pleased with the canopy hinge, as it was an element I was particularly concerned with.
I finished laying out and printing all the sections down to the Engine pods. Now I'm just going through the process of cutting/assembling/trimming. I've assembled the central support ring and guide beams, although I've not added any of the greeble bits yet. The collar has very similar assembly issues to the cockpit pod, where I had to switch to a laminate ring structure for detailing, rather than the slip-rings I'd initially planned. Aside from that, most of the parts went together well, albeit some with a little too tight of a fit. I've now attached the ring to the main keel, which has been fed through the two dorsal 'wing' supports (I'm assuming a 'Z' 0 of the middle of the engine pod, with the 'Z' axis running along the keel).
I was a little concerned with the fit and alignment, but my fears were assuaged once assembled. It has a tight fit, but the cockpit rotates just fine. A couple of pictures show it in different positions, but its hard to demonstrate the rotation with static pics. Once the full assembly is complete I might make a short video demonstration and post it up on YouTube.
Sick... absolutely sick. :thumb:
The engine mount is now assembled, although I've not added all the fins or the engines themselves, and we are approaching the point where I am stuck in the model. I'll likely fill the time with some texture work on my pilot, and with adding the greeble I've already layed out and modeled.
The hinges, s-foils and main wing are obviously modelled, and in fact the hinge and wing attachment is complete. Where I am stuck is the stop-block for the rotation. I've a few ideas but I need to play around with the model before I commit to them. I also need to edit and model the tip-guns attachment and the main turbolaser join, but those are reasonably minor in comparison.
Wow!!! it is really coming along and looks TOTALLY AWSOME!!!!! great design work my friend.
Minor Update: Pilot!
PS. I have the main wing and s-foils printed now, so it is just a matter of time before I have them assembled.
You call that pilot a minor update?
My thoughts exactly! Wow!
I hate to be the third one but my thoughts, word-for-word. Weird.
I'm inordinately pleased with the result. I've designed a 1/2 dozen paper models now, and next to the STAP (same scale), I think I like these pilots the best. There is something iconic about the Alliance Pilot in my head when it comes to Star Wars.
I'm in the process of sorting the layout and the instructions, but I will be releasing this, and the design's progenitor, the ARC Pilot, soon. I will make a proper thread for the series once I'm ready for a release.
Well the parts have been lying about for a bit, but I've finally assembled the s-foils and main wings. Most of the assembly went smoothly, and the hinges work very well. I had designed a simple stop-wedge method for holding the s-foils in place, just in case, which turned out to be required as otherwise the hinges are smooth enough to shift when turning the model.
For the curious, the model is currently 32 cm through the center of the keel.
I can't wait to see this puppy armed for bear.
"Lock S-foils in attack position......lock S-foils in attack position."
You've outdone yourself Sean. Great job!
Separate names with a comma.