1:48th Scale MOL/Test Launch 1966

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Feb 8, 2007.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Great job. Beautiful model.

I have to agree with Mole, to publish at 1/48 for the detail oriented, for it easily scales to 1/96.

Thank you for taking the time to design it. I, and apparently others, are very interested in modeling the Gemini and Saturn families. I look forward to trying my hand at it some day.

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Thank You!

It was not as easy a model to design as some would think. I had to really dig to find the data. There are still many questions about the MOL program that need to be answered. This is the only Hardware that flew, (As far as We know). There is some talk of another mission, (That was hidden, (Fake payload shroud)), from the west coast. This is just one of those rumors, (It was also said to have been manned). We little folks will never know. I was thinking of revisiting the MOL, (As it would have flown manned). Maybe later in the Year.

I just hope You Guys find this offering close, to the real hardware that flew. I got the gas cyl.'s wrong. They should have been 3% smaller. I will correct this before I start sending files out.

3. jparenti

jparenti Member

I would definitely have to build it in 1/48, as most of my current models are in this scale. I look forward to this one, as I already have a Gemini-Titan in this scale and it would be nice to add to the collection.
    And an SA-6 would look nice next to ekuth's SA-5!
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

What about A MOL Prop. Model too?

Last night I had a long talk with a old pad rat. He was really impressed with the test launch model. He was on the team that did the launch prep. He has told me of a few more missing details. It sucks that We can't find real drawings on these secret projects. He was pushing for a model of the MOL prop. hardware. Damn I wish I had had His info (4) weeks ago. He has some more info. that may help make the full MOL/Titan 3M model happen, (after I feed him a few beers next weekend, (We may just get it, (LOL)).

It is good to not drink Myself, (It allows for better mont. of others, (LOL)).

Have a great day,

5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

surfduke, looks great, hope you can get the rest of the info you are looking for. this is one i i would very much like to build. Keep us posted. And thanks.
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I admire your tenacity for getting the details right, and it surely shows in the final models. I wonder what other designs you have done...I know there are quite a few Mercury Redstone models out there, but sadly not many of the Mercury Atlas. If you have a few more photos of your builds I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see them. If you are still having problems in creating your gallery, I'm sure the moderators or other members might be able to suggest some solutions.

7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I do not know how to make a gallery. Can someone tell Me where the roadmap is?

8. Jim Krauzlis

Carl, based on what I found in old messages, you go to the Gallery page by clicking on the menu above, and when on that page select "My Stuff", and on the pull down menu click on "Category Admin." You will then find a selection at the bottom to create a new category...that would be what you call your personal gallery, naming it what ever you want. It should be created under the "Member Categories"...and then you upload your photos to your own gallery. At least that's the way it seems to work on paper.:grin:

Hope this helps.

9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks I'll try it!

I'll give it a try right now!

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

It worked!

I will add More build Pictures over the next few days. I will also put build files over there, (If it helps get them out to You guys).

11. Jim Krauzlis

Excellent! I like how I can click on the photo and get a large size, shows up the details very nicely!

There is a "parts bin" section under the main forum menu if you want to upload files for general access...there is a subsection for "Real Space." Not sure if there is a file size limit, though.

Looking forward to seeing more photos in your gallery!:)

12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Hey Jim, just did a calculation, you have posted 3.1% of all the post on cardmodels.net. way to go.
  13. Jim Krauzlis

I wonder how that happened?:twisted:

Actually, I wish I could accumulate and reclaim that time and spend it on modeling...as it is, I only get a few times during the week when I can spend a sufficient length of time to actually model, the postings are more sporatic and frequent, some while at work, some at home between chores, etc. It sort of bridges the gaps in modeling to check in and see what everyone else is doing.

14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

i know how you feel Jim, have 6 kids myself, one in the air force, just picked him up at the airport for a 2 week stay, when he's here so is his girl friend, going to see the one in collage tomorrow, got to pick up the one in the national gaurd tomorrow night, and his girl friend and her 2 kids will be coming to stay with us while he's in basic training and got 2 more still in high school. where do we find the time, lol
  15. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

sorry carl, don't want to distract from the tread, keep us posted.
  16. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Hi surfduke,
    I too like the idea of 1:48 scale because of the details:grin: but I got a look from my wife when I told her only about the idea. She told me to move into a museum or a sportshall to build tha model. So I think i'll have to build in 1:94 further.:rolleyes:

17. adensley

adensley Member

Hi carl, I am very interested in building your models at 1/48th, so please let me have copies of them as well.

18. Jim Krauzlis

Carl, it's fairly safe to say if you post them, they will build them.:grin:
    I know I will!

I am very partial to the early space craft, mostly because there are not many good sources for them (except the Mercury Redstone, as I mentioned earlier)...built the Gemini from TJ a while back, one of my first paper models, but it's long gone after three moves from apartment to apartment to house.:cry: I was thinking of doing it again, but at 1/144 to match the Mercury Redstone I did late last year, as well as the Mercury Atlas, then work my way up to the Saturns.

Funny, having grown up with the space age from the very early years I always had a deep love for them, built more than my fair share of the plastic kits, so it's only natural that I now crave the paper models of these historic craft.

As always, I am looking forward to seeing more of your stuff...they're excellent!

p.s. I hear you CardStalker! I only have one and there's very little modeling time, I can't imagine what you go through!:wink: