1:48 Saturn V S-1C Complete

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Jun 9, 2007.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Hey guys,

Here's a photo of my completed 1:48 Saturn V S-1C, it was a very enjoyable build!

Has anyone mated Ton's Saturn V 2nd stage to Greelts 1st stage? I've tried but the patterns don't match. :(

Next weekend I plan on starting work on a 1:48 base and LUT, I'll of course post progress photos of the work.

2. jaeike

jaeike Member

Very nice. Those stringers look great!
  3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

If you hadn't said it was your model, I would have thought it was the REAL THING. Your stringers look like they are the perfect scale.

Excellent job.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

good lord!!! I was about to say the same thing.
  5. George B

George B Senior Member

Thanks guys!

The bottom stringers didn't show up that well so here's another view.

6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Your picture of the engines and thrust structure really show off the detail. Truly gorgeous build.

I wish I had room for an entire 1/48 Saturn V...I'm going to have to build up through the thrust structure though, just can't resist.

Keep up the great work, and pictures. They really inspire.
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

don't have the room???

it's little more than 10" round...
  8. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Sure does look like the real thing... Great work.
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Very nice work!
  10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I can show that photo to anyone and they will swear it was taken at Houston or Cape Canaveral. Good job and great photography!:grin:
  11. George B

George B Senior Member

Additional Detail

Here's some additional detail I just added. The LOX fill ports and personnel access hatch now attached to the surface of the stringers. I scanned Greelt's original and added hinge rivet detail. I'm not sure of the actual LOX port panel color as I have seen it both white and gray.

NULLMOON Member

f**k me! hats off people:)
  13. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

That's correct Mr. Leslie.

I'm saving the room for YOUR upcoming 1:48 Highly Detailed Constellation Model (on a par with Greelt's) ... LOL ! Still should be around 10" OD x 8' Tall.

I'm sure you're just waiting for NASA to finalize their design ... Circa 2015?
  14. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

It appears you're using some type of filler putty above the Filler and Hatch between the stringers to smooth out the connection to the rocket body? Can you elaborate? Again, it "MAKES" the model.
  15. George B

George B Senior Member

Right now it's filled flush with, believe it or not, fabric paint but will be covered with small pieces of card stock angled like you see in the photo.

BTW, fabric paint works great for rivets and tiny details, and it won't run or shrink when dry.

See my rivet work under the "detail photos" link on the left.
  16. George B

George B Senior Member

Hatch Version 2

I wasn't happy with the first version, so I modified the graphic a bit more.
    Also added those pieces of filler card stock between the stringers as I had mentioned to SAustin16.

Sorry about the poor quality photo.....it's getting late, no light.

17. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thanks for the tip on Fabric Paint. Never thought of it, and it appears to work great. I'll definitely give it a shot.

BTW...That is a wonderful 206 R/C. Again ... Can't tell it from the real thing.
  18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

This one is destined to fool many eyes who will see it...

you really captured it well sir :-D
  19. dhanners

dhanners Member

Words fail me, so I'll just say, "Excellent job!"
  20. RacerX

RacerX Member

that looks great! its inspired me to stop playing xbox360 and get back to work on my F1s :p