1:48 Saturn V F-1 engine

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by McPeek, Apr 21, 2006.

1. McPeek

McPeek Member

Greelt, might I make a few suggestions for your thrust structure? You might want too consider adding some tips on the correct method too print out the parts correctly. With Tons Saturn V there seems too have been some confusion on this matter. Such as print at 200% too get 1:48, but if you print at 100% you still get 1:48, fit too page, dont fit too page, etc, etc. I know you have a scale on your sheets, but this would help out a novice like me.

Another thing I found handy with Ton' s Saturn V was a pattern for the rings which are required in the rocket tube itself. Just speaking for myself, I would have a hard time getting the rings the right measurement too begin with, let alone make a perfect circle. With Ton's, I used the single pattern too cut out the cardboard for all of the rings in the first and second stage.

Have a great day.:)
  2. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

LOL. I solve this `problem` in class. its called a compass. for a simple compass, take a piece of string, and tie it in a loop so that if you pull the loop into the longest single line you can, its the radius of the circle you want (in the case of the 1:48 saturnV, that would be 4 1/8") now thumbtack the loop and pull the loop taught with a pencil, and circle the thumbtack. I'd cut it small and then add a small strip of paper around the edge and make an I beam style circle former, building up the thickness until it fits tight.
  3. McPeek

McPeek Member

Instead of going too all of that trouble, you could just trace around the bottom plate and go from there.

I still say it would be easier if a pattern was included.

Thats Greelt's decision.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

of course, but I use my models for lessons in mathematics.
  5. McPeek

McPeek Member

That makes you the great person that you are and I do appreciate that.

I just thought I would toss out a few ideas for consideration.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the homemade compass, it may come in handy someday.:)
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

Just finished the first F-1 engine, four more to go. It came out beautifully, but the perfectionist in me will build 10 just to have the best available for my 1/48 Saturn V. :grin:
  7. Greelt

Greelt New Member

Printing the Apollo / Saturn V

As the whole project is designed in 1:48 scale, it will come out fine if you print the sheets at 100%.I have converted all the sheets to the PDF format just to avoid any discussions on how to print and wich programm should be used.

Regarding the questions about a pattern for the rings I don't see any use for it.
    Just use a compass to draw a circle with a somewhat to big radius and cut this to shape, as you can see on the pictures in the manual I designed a doubble layer of paper where the ring should be glued.

Hopefully this will help.

8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Anyone have word on the progress of this project? I'm keenly interested in doing these motors soon, but thought it might be best to wait until the whole 1st stage is ready.

Greelt, are you still monitoring the board?

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Anyone have word on the progress of this project? I'm keenly interested in doing these motors soon, but thought it might be best to wait until the whole 1st stage is ready.

Greelt, are you still monitoring the board?

10. Greelt

Greelt New Member

Sorry Rick for my late answer, i'm still monitoring the board.
    I just had some problems with my internet provider and i changed to an other one.
    At the same time i updated my computer, so i have been offline for a while.

Stage one is nearly finished.

11. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

That is wonderful news. I think there are quite a few of us out here feeling the anticipation. Just from the pictures, it looks like your designs are sensational.

Steve Austin
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks for getting back to us! I echo SAustin16 in that we are anxiously awaiting your excellent design. Obviously this will be a long term project, but it should be worth it!

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V 1:48th Scale

I can only chime in with Rick and Steve. I´m sure it will be worth a little waiting, given the quality of your previous designs.

Photo by NASA.

Thanks for bringing us these wonderful models!

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Having already built the five necessary 1/48 engines, I can say I'm awaiting the rest with eager anticipation. This will be the Saturn to end all Saturns.
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hi Bengt,
    I really love that pic!
    Do you have it in a bigger version?
    If so would you send me a copy?
    I want to use it as my wallpaper for a while!!:-D
    Just pm me if you can, for the address.
  16. the mole

the mole Member

Saturn V S-1C 1:48 first stage by Grelt - is ready for download at
    http://jleslie48. com/ - look at Misc. models or go to the chronological
  17. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Thanks sir Greelt for this!!! Even if its just the Saturn 1C that's online, the detail is just exquisite!!!

And like our pals here, I'm now wondering what the whole rocket will look like...

and if there will be a hint it would be...

18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I second that :-D
  19. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I have no words Greelt!

It's so wonderful...:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

I have to speed up my building to complete the first step (the five F-1): i can't wait to see my S-IC stays tall in all his splendour.

PS: I think that I will do it in full scale :wink:
  20. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'm finally cutting the first piece of my second F-1. I't high time I got that first stage completed. :grin:
    I just can't wait until the CSM is complete. I'm hoping to outfit U-Don's 1/48 LM with movable landing gear so it'll fit inside. I've seen it done with Sir Ton's Saturn V and it'd be a great addition to what's looking to be a superb model.