1:48 Saturn V F-1 engine

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by McPeek, Apr 21, 2006.

1. McPeek

McPeek Member

The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model Giftshop has a Saturn V F-1 engine listed in 1:48 scale. Here is a pic,

It's second from the bottom in the miscellaneous section.

Here is the link to the miscellaneous section-Click Here
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo-Saturn V F-1 Rocket Engine

What a find! I usually go over Jon Leslies fine site now and then, to look for new 'goodies', but this one I´ve missed completely.
    It´s perhaps because I normally only look under "Real Space Models" . . .

The detailing of this model is just INCREDIBLE! Download and look at page 5 of the Instructions pdf-file . . . AMAZING PIECE OF WORK!

Five of these would fit nicely under Ton Noteboom´s giant 2.40 meter 1:48th scale Saturn V! I have begun building (the TOP part of) it . . .
    (see picture attached below of Ton´s Saturn V)

I hope that Greelt A. Peterusma will continue with the same gusto upwards, to some day finish off with the Escape Launch Tower, with the same amount of detail! Makes me want to continue with the Saturn build, too . . .

Calling Greelt: please join our forum - we need you!
    Tomas Pleiner: have you seen this model - good, isn´t it?

I´m stunned!
    Bengt - 'real space freak', too. :-o
  3. rwguess

rwguess Member

this is a amazing model

i cant believe its free

thank you very much for it...

i cant wait to see what you can do with the rest of the rocket

best regards,

The Hermit.
  4. cygielski

cygielski Member

FYI, the giftshop supports an education center. The models are free, but they are also supposed to make you think about making a donation to the project. Here's a link to the info:

5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

your welcome to all. the trick with lhvcc.com/egiftshop is to look at the
    chronological list, every time I change the website, I mark down what has changed...
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Chronological List of New Card Models

Good point, Jon,

I´ll look there from now on - thanks for turning on the light for me! And, thanks for all the amazing models that you provide for us all!

Best regards,
  7. McPeek

McPeek Member

I'll second Bengt's feelings Jon and also say thank you.
  8. McPeek

McPeek Member

I thought this model would make a good weekend build, so I gave it a go. It turned out real nice with a few exceptions.

1. When you glue the inner nozzle to the outer noozle, make sure the seams are opposite of each other. That way when it is on the display stand, the inner seam will be towards the front.

2. On parts sheet number four (4), parts 34 and 35 are numbered wrong. Just reverse them.

Besides that, it is one fine model. Thanks Greelt Peterusma.

Edit:One more

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V Engine

Beautiful work - with good points about the assembly! And very good pictures, with fine detailing.
    What kind of card and thickness (g/m2) did you use for this model?

best regards,
  10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Good thing I haven't started building Sir Ton's 1/96 Saturn V! I'll reduce the engine to 1/96 and install it to the model! :-D
  11. McPeek

McPeek Member

Thanks for the kind words Bengt. The best way I can answer your question about the card and thickness is what it says on the package. It's 110 lbs. 8 1/2"x 11" Card Stock.
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Card Thickness

Thanks McPeek,

I have a conversion table, where this is easily transferable to g/m2, which is what I use for comparisons.

13. cbg

cbg Member

@ McPeek:
    Nice model for just one weekend's work! I need to improve upon my speed. . .

Is your card conversion table something you could share with the rest of us on the forum? Is it a website or a tool you found somewhere? I'm interested.

Thanks, cbg
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Paper Thickness Conversion Table

Sure, cbg,

Just let me rummage through the piles of paper on my desk for a couple of days, and I´ll post it the minute I find it. I know it is here somewhere . . .

15. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

fyi, greelt has been absolutely thrilled with the response to his f1 engine.

he has taken all suggestions to heart and updated his instructions/part numbers.
  16. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Can I have the 1/96?

When you get it done do you mind posting/sending me the 1/96 version? I want to build Ton's rocket someday in 1/96 and I'd loce to add these engines. 1/48 would be too big for my room :)

17. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I believe there's a print option in Adobe's PDF viewer (6.0 version I believe)that lets you adjust the size of the document that you will be printing, by percentage.

For 1/96 scale, just print it to 50% size. Since 1/96 is half the size of 1/48 :-D
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V in 1/96 Scale

Hi sjsquirrel,

Either that, or adjust the print size on your print out - just reduce to half the size.
    A museum quality 1/96 scale Saturn V (version 2.1 for Apollo 11, 1969) by Ton Noteboom, can be downloaded here, fourth model from the top:

And, remember to keep a lookout on the chronological list, for new model additions: http://jleslie48.com/chronlist.html

The new F-1 engine by Greelt is probably a demanding build at this scale - good luck!

19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Paper Weight & Thickness Conversion Table

Hi cbg,

I didn´t find the prints on my desk, but here´s the link to the web site: http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html
    Here you can easily convert lbs to grams/meter2, or the other way around. I´ll print it out again and put it on my announcement board.

The thickness/weight that I most often use myself (for rockets or airplane 'skins', anyway) is 160 g/m2 Matte Photo paper. For formers or wing spars, I laminate to 1mm thick grey or white card stock, or to thicker than that (double card stock) if the model is very large, like the 1/48 scale Saturn V.
    I sometimes also use 230 g/m2 Matte Photo paper, for example when the model has no internal formers (FG models).
    If all formers are on a separate sheet, I use regular simple copy paper, to save the cost of the more expensive Photo papers.
    For very small parts that have to be rolled into tubes, I also use regular 70-80 g/m2 copy paper, or something similar.
    I have yet to try Glossy Photo paper (for some aircraft) and Silver Metallic paper (for example for the Mercury-Atlas rocket or the Hughes H-1 Racer airplane), though.
    Hope this helps.

best regards,
  20. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

start building the other 4 motors people....

John John