1:48 Saturn V by Greelt

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ImperfectSense, Jun 4, 2008.

1. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hmm, This is completely understandalbe about what you say. The only part I don't get is how they could lose an entire set of blueprints.
  2. ImperfectSense

ImperfectSense New Member

Much the same way they "lost" all of the raw data from the Pioneer missions...
    "Beyond the edge of the solar system, something has gradually dragged two of America's oldest space probes -- Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 -- a quarter-million miles off course. Astrophysicists have struggled 15 years in vain to identify the infinitesimal force at play. The Pioneer anomaly, as it is called, throws a monkey wrench into celestial mechanics."
    "For 14 years, Dr. Turyshev sought a simpler answer. He finally wondered whether heat radiating unevenly from the probe might be the cause but lacked enough information.
    Then, at JPL in 2002, he discovered 400 computer tapes of Pioneer data gathering dust under a stairwell. In 2005, he intercepted 70 filing cabinets of Pioneer engineering data on their way to the junk heap at the NASA Ames Research Center, at Moffett Field, Calif. The computer files held all of the Pioneer mission data, but they were unreadable.
    With no formal NASA funding, almost 6,000 members of The Planetary Society, a space-exploration advocacy group based in Pasadena, Calif., donated $220,000 to translate the antiquated data into a digital format that a modern computer can read."
    -Source: ROBERT LEE HOTZ, "Newton, Einstein Lost in Space?," Wall Street Journal , May 16, 2008

Now, NASA says their drawings of the Saturn V are safely in storage on microfilm at Marshall, but I believe that the majority of the actual technical drawings would have been in the hands of the subcontractors who built the rocket. Those drawings are the ones I fear have been lost.

Would be really nice if NASA were to publish all of the Saturn V blueprints they have digitally on DVD, just so we could take a look...? ;D
  3. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Haha yes, and then the people would pull together and build our own Saturn V to launch men back to the moon.
  4. ImperfectSense

Would cost more than Bill Gates could ever afford... Probably wouldn't even be possible at all. For one thing, because it was a "quick and dirty" project, lots of the hardware was "off the shelf" in the '60's, but you'd never find anything like it today. Each substitution you had to make with something more modern would mean redesigning the vehicle ^^ Let's say there's 10,000 rivets in the Saturn V... now let's say today's rivets are made using different steel alloys that weigh 25% more per rivet, and offer 10% more strength. Do you accept the added weight penalty (even knowing that there's basically no margin available?) or do you redesign to use fewer rivets? How about the instruments and computers used to fly to the Moon? They were vacuum tubes back in those days... an error message was simply "1201", and you had to look up in a book what that meant. But if we were to upgrade to modern systems... would they be hardened against the radiation that the Apollo hardware was succeptible to, and the vibrations, and who would do the programming? What about fuel for not only the rocket but the onboard fuel cells and thrusters, could civillians even get our hands on that quantity of volatile material? And then there's transportation of the parts from wherever they're made to wherever we're gonna launch from... I doubt NASA would be willing to rent out one of the high bays of the VAB for us to revamp back to Apollo days while they're busying trying to fly Shuttles, and both pads are taken as well?

No, I've been over all of this in my head so many times... Saturn V's are a bit of an addiction with me, if there were any chance in hell, I'd be working on it already. But there isn't.

Now, as for the idea of a large-scale paper model... that I could get involved in for sure. I just visited the Museum of Flight here in Seattle for the first time, and it's pretty nice... it's space exhibit is currently very limited tho... I'm thinking a 50' tall Saturn V might improve things a little? ;)
  5. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

AMEN to the 50' tall paper rocket. Do you think that would be world record largest cardmodel?
  6. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

i would think so.
  7. ImperfectSense

Unfortunatly I don't think it would be possible to create one that large without some additional structure either of fiberglass or metal... I wonder how much it would all weigh?
  8. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Err.. too much, unless... nope, still too much. But.. what if we used toothpicks. Made from wood, paper comes from wood, still TECHNICALLY a paper model, with card and unrefined paper (wood toothpicks )
  9. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

How about this 1/10 Saturn V flyable? :eek:

In the gallery You can find some good idea about internal structure (ok wood and resin) to strengthen the huge missile.

Best Nando :wave:
  10. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Rocket Science & mullets...never good company, But wow well done and I wish him all the best

John John
  11. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

wow! we should try that in paper!!!! that would totally rock!
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Large Scale Saturn V with LUT

Hi all,

Check out this picture of a (flyable) Saturn V, AND A FUNCTIONING LUT (with retractable service arms) all in an amazing 1:34 scale (the picture is an extract from an article in Fine Scale Modeler, February 1995):

That´s very close to the 'normal' card model aircraft scale of 1:33 but applied to the huge structure of the Apollo 11 booster and Launch Umbilical Tower.

If anybody wants to read the whole article, I´ve got a PDF file (of 9 Mbytes size) that I can e-mail to you, if you send me your e-mail address in a PM first.

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V 1:34 Scale Model Addendum

I Googled David´s name and I came up with this page - it seems he has graciously donated his huge and detailed model to the National Air and Space Museum, for those of you who has got that nearby (you lucky ba---rds):

I´d like to see that one . . .

14. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

yikes... jawdrop...

I've seen that guy's real-space works a couple of times on FSM...

yup I'm with you sir Bengt, I always envy people who visit NASM, especially the people who are just nearby... (yup those lucky b-----ds... joke!!! :-D )
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

1:10 Scale Flyable Saturn V

Hi Nando,

Thanks for that link to Steve Eves´amazing 1:10 scale Saturn V rocket project. Imagine a complete, functioning LUT for that scale!
    It will be very interesting to follow the launch of the world´s largest 'hobby rocket', with $20,000 worth of rocket motors and propellant. Some price for 'lighting a candle', eh?

16. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Thats a fine idea but you know that there is always going to be one of us on the board that will make the other four...and why stop there?

We really have issues...
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Issues . . .

You´re right there, John John,

It´s probably something Freudian, this preoccupation with size . . .

Bengt :killer:
  18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Then again, if size doesn't scare some modelers, why shouldn't we be like that? :twisted:
  19. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Well - you have a whole year :D :D Get it going!! Each of you build a section and see if you can get one finished by 7-20-09...........

I Still remember seeing it all live on TV.. :) Both the JFK speech.. and "One Small Step For Man..........................................
  20. Fabs

Fabs New Member

I Still remember seeing it all live on TV.. :) Both the JFK speech.. and "One Small Step For Man..........................................[/quote]

That was a real piece of History...(both the speech of JFK and the small steps that followed...almost ten years later !) I was 4 month old when Neil and Buzz were having fun on the lunar surface and I wish I would have been a little bit older, just to have those moments digged deep in my memory...but the first flight of Columbia just gave me a wonderful counterpart !