1:48 Saturn V by Greelt

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by ImperfectSense, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Build a new facility. Tax payers would LOVE to see what their tax payers' dollars go to. Maybe as TWE would say, we are going in the wrong direction. Maybe we should downscale it to make it like 1 inch tall. :twisted:
    I have an idea too. What if we were to literally do a group build. Each person does some part of the model 1st stage, 2nd stage, engines, etc. and send it to someone to assemble. Just an idea, but I wouldn't be able to participate.
  2. ImperfectSense

ImperfectSense New Member

Don't tempt me... I've wanted to get involved in some kinda large-scale Saturn V build for years, regardless of the material used ;) When I discovered a 1:48 scale paper model, I thought I was in heaven, the idea of scaling THAT up even further.... *drools*

It's certainly possible that we could get cooperation with an air and space museum somewhere to house/display the thing once it's done... prolly not NASM in DC, but perhaps a smaller one, like the Museum of Flight in Seattle, or the Cosmosphere in Kansas? Actually, now that I think about it... KSC is as good a place to try as any, NASA has a lot of interest in volunteer activities like that ^^

Structure would be the big challenge I think... I haven't built the first stage of my 1:48th Saturn V yet, donno how much it could be scaled up as-is without doing some extra internal structure?
  3. gkcooper

gkcooper New Member

I live in Huntsville and still get a thrill out of seeing our two 1:1 Saturn V's every time I drive by them (daily).
  4. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

now i'm tempted to try a 1:2 or a 1:1 scale LRV...that would be soo cool...just having a full scale paper model in my garage...all the detail...(drools):roll:
  5. Fabs

Fabs New Member

You lucky boy !!!
  6. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

yeh... the only time I get to see them is when I'm driving google earth.
  7. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Have i stumbled upon a good idea. What an accomplishment. I would like to see this happen.
  8. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Sorry, I don't understand your post. . .
  9. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Ok, my idea was good, or at least may have drawn some interest with a group build of a VERY large model. The Scott Kalitta part was added in because of its tragic nature. It has been removed because it is not in the proper context of the post.
  10. gkcooper

gkcooper New Member

I work on MSFC and took these pictures yesterday. The building next door rolled out a real F-1 on a stand. I can take more at higher resolutions if anyone wants them.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      File size:
      170.3 KB
    • 011.jpg
      File size:
      172.9 KB
    • 012.jpg
      File size:
      153.7 KB
    • 013.jpg
      File size:
      187.2 KB
    • 014.jpg
      File size:
      199.5 KB
    • 018.jpg
      File size:
      152.1 KB
  11. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I would love some. Can you get some shots of the interior of the bell (lower and upper nozzle)?
  12. ImperfectSense

13. gkcooper

gkcooper New Member

Any specifics? 1/4 views, angles, etc? I really hate to hijack this thread, Admin can you move? How about some pics of the Test Stands on Marshall?
  14. ImperfectSense

1/4's would definitly be nice, as well as shots from "above" looking down on the engine bell (an angle we usually can't see because the engine is mounted on a Saturn V or because it's standing like at KSC).

I'm curious... are they intending to actually test that engine as part of the Ares V/J-2X development? I heard that they were thinking the Ares V might need 6 J-2X's and an extra half segment in each SRB, maybe they're hoping to learn some new tricks from testing an F-1 some more?
  15. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

You live only an hour away from me.
  16. gkcooper

gkcooper New Member

I took some better pictures today of the F-1 and bell on stands. There was also a J-2 bell behind a fence. The big news was I met the lead engineer working on the interstage of the Ares CLV. He opened up the High-Bay and allowed me to take pictures of a full scale mockup of the interstage that they are building as a test article. Pics are being hosted on my friends server: http://www.pollytick.info/photos/

17. ImperfectSense

OMG.... I love you! But I'm so jealous.... I work at Boeing, but I'm in IT right now, even tho my education was in Aerospace Engineering (freaking life and it's curve balls...). I get to see very little of the "fun stuff" that Boeing works on, before assisting an end user I actually have to ask them to clear their screens of any drawings, etc :(

I've been to KSC many many times, for many Shuttle launches, but I've spent most of my life regretting the fact that I was born too late to watch man walk on the Moon. I still can't yet believe we're going to do it again, in MY lifetime!

You are incredibly lucky to be so close to that project... thank you for taking the time to share these pics with us, it means a lot to me to see things coming together!

There are a group of avid NASA-watchers (and NASA employees) who share pictures, documentation, and other news of this caliber with each other and the general public... you can find them at www.nasaspaceflight.com. Particularly their L2 section (for-pay membership) has great coverage... but I don't think I've ever seen pics taken at Marshall. If you're interested in making a lot of people very happy, you may want to post there, either in the free or L2 forums ^^

And for modelers, I can highly recommend an L2 membership, even just for a couple of months... they have an unbelievable amount of documentation... even the crew "flight manuals" for the Saturn V, which told the crew what behavior to expect at each phase of launch, etc... quite an amazing read. And they've got some ridiculously rare videos as well.
  18. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

Pshhh.. those ain't paper... tisk tisk. Thanks for the cool pics though. :)
  19. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

The only thing I wonder is, they are having enough problems developing the Constellation Project Launch Systems (like the stability of the Ares I and the weight of the entire vehicle. Changing the pads and crawlers because the rockets will be too heavy and etc.) Well why don't they just go back to the Apollo systems? Cheaper and easier figure out really. I mean, they have everything; all the data, blue prints, the crawlers and pads. Why not just mak more Saturn V's and just modify them to carry a larger Spacecraft and Lunar Lander. I think the Saturn would definietly be able to carry the Orion and Altair toghether. (it may have to use a couple SRBs but that wouldn't bee too much trouble. We'd save fuel by launching one Saturn V with SRBs than an Ares I and Ares V which would be using 3 SRBs. Rendevous with the Altair and Orion would be as simple as just seperating and turning back to get it just like Apollo. It will be a little more time consuming for Orion to dock with Altair as soon as they meet in orbit. I like the new program seeing that it is going to be a new exciting vehicle and a new age for the Space Program, but I would actually approve areverting back to Apollo technology than going into a whole new program and 'starting with a clean slate'.
  20. ImperfectSense

Unfortunatly underwoodl06, that wouldn't work. Trust me, I also would much rather get to see a Saturn V launch, it would make my life complete, but here are the issues:

Apollo CSM //:\\ 66,871lbs //:\\ 3.9m diameter //:\\ 3 crew
    Orion CSM //:\\ 51,290lbs //:\\ 5.03m diameter //:\\ 4-6 crew

Apollo LM //:\\ 32,399lbs //:\\ 4.27m diameter //:\\ 2 crew //:\\ 3 days
    Altair LM //:\\ 101,100lbs //:\\ 7.5m diameter //:\\ 4 crew //:\\ 7 days

Saturn V //:\\ 6,500,000lbs at liftoff //:\\ 262,350lbs to LEO //:\\ 99,208lbs to TLI
    Ares I //:\\ 2,000,000lbs at liftoff //:\\ 56,438lbs to LEO
    Ares V //:\\ 7,440,400lbs at liftoff //:\\ 316,142lbsMT to LEO //:\\ 123,238lbs to TLI (without Ares I)
    Shuttle //:\\ 4,500,000lbs at liftoff //:\\ 55,115lbs to LEO

So as you can see, the Constellation program is not just rebuilding Apollo... it is a step far beyond both our current and our past capabilities.

Also, you assume that we still have the capability to build Saturn V's again... unfortunatly this is not true. Most, if not all, of the tooling used has been destroyed, and in many cases we no longer use the same materials. Much of the old test and development data, and even the old blueprints, are lost. Each Saturn V was unique, each one had modifications and changes that other Saturn V's did not have, it was a continually improving vehicle. And yet, despite that, and despite it's flawless performance when manned, it was not anywhere near as safe a vehicle as NASA would like Ares to be. It was a big, brutal machine, incredibly complex, amazingly powerful... It was a solution to a specific challenge, that of landing Man on the Moon in less than 10 years. And it did that job well. But it is not the answer for putting Man *back* on the Moon for further exploration, or ferrying crews to the ISS, or launching Hubble's replacement to the Earth-Sun lagrange points, or sending robots and/or humans to Mars... As much as I hate to admit it, Constellation is the way to go.