1/48 Republic XF-103 Thunderwarrior

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, May 20, 2007.

1. charliec

charliec Active Member

It was. I think the reasoning was that if the US was building a Mach 3 bomber (B-70) the Russians would probably be able to build one so the US had better cover that possible threat with an interceptor. The XF-103 was designed with Mach 5 performance as a goal - the airframe was supposed to be built in Titanium with a ramjet engine to provide high Mach thrust. It was serious enough that the US put money into the French experimental ramjet interceptor program.

The whole program was rendered silly by the advances in missiles and the difficulties encountered in fabricating in Titanium. As an aside I'm not sure where they thought they were going to get the Titanium from - the SR-71 Titanium came mostly from Russia.

2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Tonight I add all of panel line into surface...only decal left and then unfold :)

3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Another great vehicle awaits final Nobification.

ps. Thank you for the new flier Freebie. I'm gonna print it along with the Cromwell tank to get a friend hooked on card modeling (ironically his last name is Cromwell).
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

A little bit progress with decal on mesh

and compare 3 steps before unfold

5. cmdr199212

cmdr199212 Member

how do u get rhino?
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

First you win the lottery...................

7. Maurice

Maurice Member

Time for Tim to get a bit miffed.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well.............. I was joking. :grin:

But you get what you pay for.

The stuff that is done with Rhino has always impressed me, but the price is out-of-my-league for now.

Of course............... the software does it all, the designer just types right?

P.S. I'm joking on the last line.................. old Data Processing adage............. Garbage in......... garbage out.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

... that's right John, the designer just types .... ... pats gently on head and backs away ... ... :grin:
  10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Unfold nearly finish...post some progress first... only internal former and connection strip left

11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

De-wrinkled your hull yet, Maurice? :wink:

12. Alcides

Alcides Member

Another winner by NOBI :grin:

Nobi, do you have a technic for the stripes. I tired to draw small lines in my project :(

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Tim! Tim! Tim!:rofl:
  14. Maurice

Maurice Member

Seriously miffed. :grin:

So I'm not supposed to respond at all but you can lash out instantly - thought so Tim - was just checking.

(For those who didn't see it, Tim's pathetically illogical suggestion that I should continue to not respond to his unpleasantness was deleted along with the thread it was in.)

Still it's edifying to see that a first run at the hull made such an impression on someone who doesn't even know that there is a difference between lbp and lwl.
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I see no wrinkles... (paraphrasing someone nautically famous)

16. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Tim

Rhino 4 ? :)
  17. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Update today :) all parts arrange on letter size page. Only Connection strip left. I will post how to make connection strip from Rhino for people who interest too :)

18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi NOBI,

yes, Rhino v4, although I did most of the work on this project in v3.
    This is a design for resin casting in 1:200 scale, so the hull master will be CNC machined, moulded in RTV rubber and cast with photo etchings etc. for the smaller parts. Another long term project.....

19. Maurice

Maurice Member

As an initial interpretation of the available body plan of the Bonaventure, without any further attempt to adjust sections and fair the lines ..... that's not very good.
  20. Alcides

Alcides Member

NOBI I'm waiting for you release and the tutorial !!! Please. Please.