1/48 Republic XF-103 Thunderwarrior

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, May 20, 2007.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Thank you very much for all kind word for my Spitfire. Now I begin next project with 1/48 Republic XF-103 Thunderwarrior...all necessary line is drew on Rhino ready to make surface. Progress next :)

2. Texman

Texman Guest

SWEET NOBI! That will be super cool. Your going to cause me to go
    on an experimental trip all by yourself!

The only thing I ask, could you, would you PLEASE do the XF-107? It's a personal favorite in the X plane world.

Nice work again!

3. YES!
    Thanks, NOBI, can't wait to see it finished,
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Man...Beavers must have you as their role model.
  5. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Another must-have for me. Many thanks, I was just about to order the XB-51,, now I'll wait till this is ready. My wish list includes the XP-69, Hughes D-2, XB-16, Pe-8, etc, etc. etc.

Artie Bob
  6. shrike

shrike Guest

Your drawings are showing a canopy and separate cockpit, but in all the drawings and photos I've seen the XF 103 had none. Only twos side windows and a tiny retractable periscope.
    That makes it easier to design (but harder to see out of<G>)
  7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I wasn't aware the periscope housing on top of the fuselage was retractable. I was under the impression it was simply a small canopy-looking bump on the otherwise smooth fuselage.

Shrike, are your drawings on the net? If this is true, I would like to update my files.
  8. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

9. Avi8tor

Avi8tor New Member

Wow Nobi

Wow Nobi you really are fast at getting those models designed and released!!!
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

The one good drawing I have handy is from LS Jones' US Fighters (Aero Pub. 1975). The three view shows no bulge and the text calls the periscope out as retractable.
    The Republic photo of the 100% mock up shows no bulge for a periscope. OTOH the missile bay doors aren't visible either. The factory artists conception also shows no periscope bulge, just smooth conic sections.
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

My understanding was the periscope housing was added later...but I could, and probably am wrong. Our library has a decent reference book I'll check tomorrow.
  12. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Nobi, you've read my mind, again! This is yet another model I was going to design myself, but haven't gotten to yet (like the XB-51). I just have the same comment as others, I've never seen the XF-103 with that canopy. What's you're reference for it? One of the nicest looking models I've seen so far is here; http://features02.kitparade.com/xf103pb_1.htm Another model (the Anigrand one) is nicely built here; http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/RepublicXF-103ThunderwarriorPage.htm According to my copy of "The American Fighter, the Definitive Guide to American Fighter Aircraft From 1917 To the Present" by Enzo Angelucci with Peter Bowes, the second model is of the final design/mockup configuration.

Scott K.
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

Update progress :) about something like canopy on top of model...first i dont know what is it. I think that should be some hole to let pilot see what is in front of aircraft...too small to be a canopy. I add it because of picture of finish model (in plastics) at http://features02.kitparade.com/xf103pb_1.htm have this thing too :) thank you very much for all advise

let's see model when finish making surface below :) strange looking craft, i think

and below is 3 views drawing i have... no cross section make me hard to make a mesh :(

14. Are you familiar with this picture;
  15. And this one;
    Cheers. Billy
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Slim design!! Love to see this one completed.
  17. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

According the book Post-World War II Bombers - 1947-1973, the periscope was added after completion of the mock-up. The photo most people reference is that of the mock-up just prior to it being finished. There is no reference to the periscope housing being retractable.
  18. cbg

cbg Member

Nobi, Ash, et.al.

Was this thing for real? Did it exist only as a mock-up or prototype?

Looks more like a winged rocket. . .just curious.

19. Texman

Texman Guest

Yup, it was for real, sort of. Never got past the mockup stage.

20. shrike

shrike Guest

OK, works for me. All I've ever seen is the mock up photos. Maybe it was designed to be retractable at first and then they added the fairing as a compromise. I wonder what ever happened to it? Probably a target on some Mojave range.

If you decide to do a F-107 let me know. It's about an hour south of me and I can probably arrange some good detail photos.