1/48 F9F Cougar - Blue Angels

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by exzealot, Feb 23, 2009.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

This concludes the prototype build. I glued the engine inside, and redesigned and replaced the chin; 5 parts vs 9. Also, the left side air intake split panel.

Next, I will refine all of the graphics and tune in the fit of the parts.

Gettin' close!

Attached Files:

2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

The chin looks great. That last picture really shows how well the wings, cockpit, and tail are aligned. My builds aren't always as nice.
  3. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Great looking model. The bulge under the nose throws me a bit. Havent seen that on previous cougars? Disregard, i found it on a Good 3-view. I'm a big fan of the Panther, are you considering that model as well?
  4. Janx

Janx Member

Excellent prototype, Looks great.
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow Ken you DO work fast. It's does look pretty good. :thumb:

6. exzealot

exzealot Member

HERE STARTS THE PRODUCTION VERSION..... the slop-fest is over.

The rest of this thread will serve as a builder's aid; pictures to help show the assembly sequence, so it might be a bit boring.

Picture 1 - 5 pages of parts

Picture 2 - Fuselage parts are pre-rolled and edge-painted. The ends are butt-joined.

Picture 3 - The bulkheads are glued inside the rolled-sections

Picture 4 - Bulkhead 20 is unique.. the engine opening is cut 90 percent of the way through - then the bulkead is blued inside the rolled part. Once dry, the button is removed, and the ring around the opening is hardened with thin super-glue.

Picture 5 - The fuselage is assembled. :thumb:

Attached Files:

7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Geez, I'm still struggling through the build of the F-84 and you've already completed another model!

Wait, that sounded bad. The struggle is personal. The model is a beauty; I've been bereft of time to really sit down and work through the model.
  8. exzealot

exzealot Member

Pictures 1, 2 & 3 - rolling, gluing and adding the canopy to the fuselage

Pictures 4 & 5 - building and installing the "chin"

Attached Files:

9. exzealot

exzealot Member

Picture 1 - folding the air intake like shown..

Picture 2 - assemble the 2 intake parts with the graphics to the inside

Picture 3 - attaching the intake assembly to the fuselage

Picture 4 - gluing the upper skin of the wing root as shown

Pictures 5 & 6 - adding the lower skin, bulkhead, front corner fillet, and the trailing edge..

Also note that I moved the fuselage seams from the bottom to the side (hidden underneath the wing root)...

Attached Files:

10. Janx

Janx Member

Very very neat!
  11. exzealot

exzealot Member

The wings deserve a little explanation..

Picture 1 - shows the top side of the wings. Note the slit in the surface.. The inboard surface is slightly lower than the outboard surface. Also, see how the inboard bulkhead is sunk in slightly? This is because the lower wing surface is designed slightly larger than the top so that it overlaps the underside of the wing roots making a cleaner and stronger joint.

Picture 2 - the underside of the wings. Note the inboard leading edge construction. The top surface is curled much more than the lower surface.

More to come....

Attached Files:

12. Cybermac

Cybermac Member

Good job!

Good job! Nice and simple!!! I like that:thumb:

Panthers... I remember from 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri'

13. Janx

Janx Member

Very Effective!
  14. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Very nice. Where do we get it?
  15. exzealot

exzealot Member

More progress...

Picture 1 - Airflow direction vanes added to the wings (don't know the correct name for these)

Picture 2 - A picture that illustrates improved alignment of the US NAVY graphics, the nose tip, and the front view of the air intake panels...

Picture 3 - A side view of the RH intake panel; also note the 3-pc fillet on the outboard leading edge..

To answer a few questions: I am considering a Panther version.. a fairly simple conversion..

Also, this model will be sold through ecardmodels.com very soon.

More to come...

Attached Files:

16. exzealot

exzealot Member

Wing tips added - then wings added to aircraft. Wing marker lights too!

On the underside shot, note the SLIGHT overlap of the wing to the wing root. Ensures a near perfect fit on top while hiding the lower seam. This is a difficult joint....

Almost finished.

Attached Files:

17. exzealot

exzealot Member

The next 2 posts show the completed aircraft.

I still need to build the pedestal - you will see that tomorrow night.

Enjoy the pictures!

Attached Files:

18. exzealot

exzealot Member

Next 5 pictures:

You can see the relative size of the model compared to the Testors paint bottles.

Stop by tomorrow night for the final posting

Attached Files:

19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

KEN!!! That's abaslootly beutimus!!! I'll be buying for sure.

Considering a Panther says the beautiful man :D

Looking forward to the stand ;)

20. dhanners

dhanners Member

Yet another great addition to our hobby. You're a true craftsman and a talented designer. We owe you....