1:48 Apollo Display

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by McPeek, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Lunar Rover

Hi milenio3,

The Lunar Rover was kept inside the lower part (the descent stage) of the Lunar Module (the LEM, for Lunar Excursion Module) during the space flight, behind a hatch to the right of the ladder. It was neatly folded for storage and was un-folded as it had been released and lowered onto the Lunar surface from the LEM.

If you have problems with accessing the Rover card model, send me a PM and I will mail the pdf-file to you ASAP.

Bengt :wink:
  2. McPeek

McPeek Member

milenio3 wrote:
    Bengt would be correct and here are a few photos so you can see the location of the lunar rover on the LEM.

This is an artists concept from Grumman,

And this is a photo of the pre-flight checkout of the LRV for Apollo 15,

Deployment sequence,

Bengt wrote:
    Thank you sir.:grin:
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

And I THOUGHT I was a NASA fan.
    Thanks guys!
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Space In Miniature Series

Hi all NASA and Apollo fans,

For in-depth descriptons and the most accurate pictures for super-detailing, I can recommend Mike Mackowski´s book series "Space In Miniature", available from his web site.
    Book #6 "Apollo Command and Service Module - A Guide for Scale Model Builders" is very helpful for detailing the Apollo CSM.

Bengt :|
  5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Oh pretty please, send also the file to me sir!!! at raziel404_ben@yahoo.com

I also need the LRV, I'm now preparing for an exhibit here in our school, and the LRV would be needed to complete the project Apollo section. Thanks!
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Lunar Rover

Hi Hans Christian,

Sure, no problemo - I´ll send the files I have right away.

Bengt :grin:
  7. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Yippee!!! Thanks!!! :grin:
  8. McPeek

McPeek Member

Display Stand

Here is the latest addition too the Saturn V.

I used 1/8" cardboard for the upper and lower deck and the rest is 110 lbs. card stock.

This was the first time I tried too enlarge anything and I must say that it turned out better than I expected.

Now it is time too do some work on the service module.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V LUT Base

That´s a mighty fine LUT base you have designed - does the rocket´s engine bells rest on it or does it hang on the four supports on the sides?
    Amazing piece of work.

10. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I too am a NASA fan. I should have said this earlier.

I used to LIVE on a NASA base. My father WORKED for NASA from 1962 until his death in 1991. I still live only a few miles from the base.

CAre to guess which base??
  11. McPeek

McPeek Member

Bengt Wrote:
    The display stand is the work of Roman from Paper Warbirds. It is available at his site or Jonathon Leslie has a link from his site.

Edit:Link too model, here

Bengt Wrote:
    The model rests on the four supports.

Dnlgtr Wrote:
  12. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Greenbelt, Wallops Island ?
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

LUT Base

Forgive my complete incompetence. I have seen Romen Seissler´s model on his site . . . what was I thinking?

You´ve done a great job of enlarging and building it, though.

14. McPeek

McPeek Member

Thats quite alright my friend. I just didn't want too take credit for something I didn't do.

Thanks. :)
  15. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

Dyna-Soar is correct. I use to live on Wallop's VA. NASA base. And still live less than 20 miles from there!!

It was fun getting to ride my bike all over the base.

And now ot might be used as an emergency landing sight for the shuttle if the plans go through!

Greenbelt Md's Goddard is 'Parent' of Wallop's now and some do call Wallop's Goddard south or Goddard Wallop's facility.
    I just found a book about Wallop's that was published by British authors!!