1:48 Apollo Display

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by McPeek, Jul 7, 2006.

1. McPeek

McPeek Member

I ran across a picture the other night of a Revell Saturn V model that had a cutaway of the lunar module adapter so you could view the LEM. The thought came to me that a 1:48 saturn V is available from Ton Noteboom and a 1:48 lunar module is available from U-Don. So I figured, why not combine the two and see what happens.

Edit-photo updated.

Being the novice I am, I think it turned out fine. I need to do the LEM adapter again and cut the hole out before gluing the sections together. I still have detail work to do on the S4B and I want to build the interstage which should make a good display base.
  2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Outstanding Job!!!!!
  3. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Nice Job!

Great Work!

I recognize all of the American equipment, because I am working on all of them myself! However, I can't seem to place the vehicle at the extreme left of the picture, the one with whatlooks like diagonal latice-work around several stages. What is it?

4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

That would a Russian Rocket.
    It is used to put the Soyuz capsule in the air,
  5. Thorsten Reinhardt

Thorsten Reinhardt New Member

I´m sorry, but its not a soyuz Rocket.
    Its the N-1 Hercules, Russias Answer to the Saturn 5!
    Same size (105m) but much bigger problems.

Thorsten Reinhardt
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Um, how did you modify the LM's legs into the folded position? I have sir ton's Sat V in 1/96 & also printed U-Don's LM in 1/96...
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

8. McPeek

McPeek Member

Since I already had the LEM constructed, I removed the three legs on the side, back and cutoff the lower support on the ladder leg so it could be folded back. If I was just building the LEM, I would think it would be no problem to construct it with folded legs. Thats the best way I can describe it.
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool models! Cool Idea! Cool execution! Just Cool!

What's next? A 1/48 747 with a shuttle on it's back............... Hey Dave's got some pictures if you need em!

Elephants never forget!

10. McPeek

McPeek Member

New LEM Adapter

I got the new LEM adapter built yesterday. This time I cut the hole out before gluing the parts together.Pic here

Aside from making the cut better, I enlarged it height wise so that the service module noozle is now visible.Pic here

Here is the adapter on the stack.Pic here

Today I hope to get the interstage built.

Have a great day.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V - U-Don LEM Adapter with Opening

Hi McPeek,

You sure are busy - this looks very good! I´ve often thought about doing the same thing - I started out by doing two parallel builds of the U-Don LEM, one in 1:48 scale and one "stand-alone" in 1:32. The larger one will have an interior and celluloid windows. They are still not finished . . .

When the 1:48 scale model is ready (whenever that will be), I´ll place it in the Saturn V by Ton, too.

The CardinSpace Mercury-Redstone and Gemini-Atlas 1:48, and the Saturn V 1:96 in the background look really good, too.

Keep up the good work,
    Bengt :smile:
  12. McPeek

McPeek Member

I have finally wrapped up my build with the Saturn V and I must say that it was quite a build. There are a few extra things I still want to do, but they can wait for a bit. Here are a few pictures.

It was a blast.
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V 1:48th Scale

Wow, McPeek,

What an achievement! It looks fantastic - so very nice with the window for the U-Don LEM. Perhaps you should have a white paper "door" here, or a transparent celluloid window?
    And, might I suggest that you paint the insides of the engine bells? Mike Mackowski suggests a medium dark matte grey. (I use Humbrol hobby paint).

Are you going to do the new detailed engines later (five of them) for the 1st stage?
    This is a dream build of mine - I wish I could finish it too some day.

Amazing work!
    Bengt :roll:
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Very Big Model!

It's looks fantastic!

15. airbob

airbob Member

16. jasco

jasco Member

After a short hiatus from this site due to vacations, etc, I come back to this!!! You have done a fabulous job on both of these spacecraft. I kind of like the white inside the engine bells. It reminds me of the incredible power that they were designed to spew out. I love your models!
  17. McPeek

McPeek Member

First let me send out a "BIG" thank you too Ton Noteboom for designing the rocket, Jonathon Leslie for offering the model and U-Don for the LEM. Also thanks too everyone for the nice comments and suggestions.

Maybe "wrapped up" was the wrong thing to say. This is going too remain a work in progress for awhile. But at this point everything fits nicely and the model displays nice. I have a pretty good chunk of time involved in the model and now is the time too take a break.

Bengt Wrote:
    The "kit" comes with a sheet that includes inserts for the F1 engines. But in the interest of saving ink, I decided not too use them. Sometime down the road I hope too build up Greelts super detailed F1 engines and put them on the rocket. I have one completed and only have four more too go.

Have a great day.:)
  18. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

your quite welcome - Jonathan Leslie
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A First?

You certainly deserve a well-earned break, McPeek,

after doing what I´m guessing is a 'first', in combining these two remarkable card models - Ton´s fine Saturn V model and U-Don´s detailed Lunar Module.
    Good on you, mate! Sit back in that comfy reclining chair behind the massive Saturn, open up a brew (or whatever you enjoy the most) and savour the sweet smell of success!

While I´m at it, I also want to thank Jon Leslie for all the wonderful models that you keep coming - it´s an amazing effort! Thank you very much!

Bengt :smile:

(And by the way, Jon, it wasn´t me you quoted under "Bengt wrote" but McPeek - not that it matters, I guess it´s quite obvious to anyone . . .)
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

How about the Lunar Rover (the car used in the last Apollo missions) inside the Saturn? I've never seen how this was accoplished.
    The Lunar Rover is available in the Kartonmodell forum (but rith now this site it's giving me databse errors :confused: )