1/4 scale Mercury Capsule

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Mercsim, May 28, 2007.

1. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

Well this could open a giant can or worms but here goes nothing….I have a website documenting the build of a ¼ scale paper Mercury Capsule built from the inside out. It isn’t finished yet but there are currently over 1000 pieces assembled.

I have been a Mercury fan all my life and I am also building a full size model. I started the paper model to help verify some of the structural components and it just started to grow. The Antenna fairing is complete. The Recovery section and major structure components are complete. I have hundreds of other small parts complete that don’t show in the photos. I am reluctant to ‘release’ any other part files until I have test built them and photographed them.

I have found writing instructions to be way harder than actually designing and building the parts. If there is enough interest, I will continue with the instructions or maybe I could enlist some help. Otherwise, I’ll just continue building and post photos and maybe the rest of the PDF files as I go.

I have Solid Models of all the exterior shingles and one day, I’ll vacuum form the exterior panels (in ¼ scale) with the dimples. Obviously these can’t be provided for free but maybe I can make them available on a limited basis for a small fee. This is NOT a commercial venture. I am doing this for myself and will try to share as much as I can. There are photos of the full size panels on the site. Look around and check out the links page. I look forward to some feedback and to see if there are any brave souls out there up for a challenge…

ARMORMAN Guest

Dude, That is freaking AWESOME!!!
  3. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Big Mercury

WOW !!!
    I wanna do one to.
    Quarter scale shuttle while we are at it ???

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

5. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Very cool.
  6. kronos

kronos Member

Im impressed its going to be super
  7. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

That looks too good to put the "skin" on. It would cover all that amazing work you've put into it! Maybe some kind of a cutaway model could be done?!?
  8. I welcome the challenge. Looks like you have a winner here
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

In the words of the NASA flight controller: "FANTASTIC!!" :) Looks awesome.
  10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

It is a challenge indeed. I'll stay with the miniatures, but will keep an eye on this one.
  11. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

What a terrific model - better than anything I've seen on "solid media"
  12. cygielski

cygielski Member

Man, just when you start thinking that you've seen pretty much everything that can be done with paper, up comes something like this. Amazing.
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

This Just Blew Me out of the Water! I am very impressed!

14. lairdre

lairdre Member

1/4 Mercury

Please keep going, this is an awsome project. What weight card have you been using?
  15. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

WOW... but...

What a Great project!
    You are not planning the Redstone as well? Or the Atlas? :twisted: :idea:

After this nothing can surprise me anymore in cardmodels, or it must be a running papermodel-engine.:-o

16. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

The Antenna Fairing was mostly Color Mates brand 65#. I got most of it from a scrapbook store. The skin for the recovery compartment and main structure (the lightest gray) is 110. I bought a ream of it from the local office supply store. Most of the smaller pieces and interior is being built with the 65.

FYI I leave tomorrow morning for a 10 day trip. I won't be ignoring questions, just out of town. If I can access a computer, I'll check in if I can.

17. jparenti

jparenti Member

Scott, this is just amazing. I'm running out today for some cardstock and I'm gonna try to build what's up on your site so far. Please, please, please continue! It's the most detail I've ever seen on a Mercury model, plastic included! :)
  18. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

WOW!! I think, I'll say...WOW!! my jaw just hit the desk:-o can't think at anything else for a long time and the grin won't leave my face:grin: :grin:
  19. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

HOLY... it's just...g..g...b...I....WOW!!! That is incredible. I'll stop babbling now and try to pick up my jaw.
  20. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

I just got back from vacation and had a ton of e-mails. Thanks for all the kind words. That just tells me no one has started building yet or you truly are as sick as I am! Someone (thanks Paul) pointed put I was missing a page for the antenna fairing . Card_Structure4.pdf is now posted. Sorry about that. I had a few requests for more photos so I'll try to get a few more up in the next day or so. Also please let me know where the instructions are deficient.