1/350th Scale Akira WIP.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MTK, May 9, 2011.

1. MTK

MTK Active Member

As I stated, I've been working on some of these models for years. One of the ones that I spent the most time on was / is the Akira. The unfold is totally done, but I'm still having issue with the textures. At any rate, here is some of what I've been working on. This is an ongoing project. Any input, or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. atomgas

atomgas New Member

Wow! Now THIS I can't wait to see finished. Great job on all your models MTK!
  3. Sanginus

Sanginus Member

looks superb,

and, 1/350 scale is for big fingers much better :mrgreen:
  4. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thank you both. The unwrap is done and all of the texturing is done as well. I'm just tweaking both. Here are a couple of shots.

Attached Files:

5. MTK

MTK Active Member

6. atomgas

atomgas New Member

Great job MTK, looks incredible! Can't wait to give this build a shot!
  7. marciu11

marciu11 Member

Nice job!
  8. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thanks gentlemen, glad you like. I will probably come back at a later date and change the textures and add different registries. I'm having this printed up and will do a build-up as soon as the BSG shuttle is done.

If anyone tried this and has any input on changes that need to be made, please feel free to let me know.
  9. F131

F131 Member

Adding this to the list. Wonderful work.
  10. MTK

MTK Active Member

Just got some pointers from SJS, so I'm going to go back and make some changes to the unwrap on this and resubmit it. I originally did the unfold some time ago and just recently added the textures, so I'm sure there's room for improvement. I'll leave the other pages up on the blog until I get this straightened out. Sorry about that.....
  11. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

I need a little bit to say something about it (and the most of your other models):
    your 3D modeling is great, your texture work is also great, but your unfolding (or unwraping or however it calls in english) is terrible!!! Sorry, but it looks like you push only the "unfold" button in Pepakura, cut some parts a bit smaller and make the convert to JPG!
    What´s with the flaps??? do you think, you can take you time to make them on one site and not one here and another elsewhere!
    And a little bit more feeling for the virtuell cutter will be fine! You can parts better fit together!
    Sorry, really, but it is my honest opinion!

BTW: i needed a bit of time, but now i know who you are/was! i look also sometimes to your projects on Facebook! :twisted:
  12. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thank you for your input. I've been working on the unfolding part of things and as I've said, I did get some positive and constructive input from SJS regarding that matter. No. I don't just hit unwrap and make minor changes... I've been working on some of the more complex models for some time and have not released them yet. Having said that, there are a couple that I'm totally reworking the unfold on. Some of these models need a lot of work and some need major changes made to the model before it / they is / are even buildable. I said in my last post that I was reorganizing the unwrap on this model. I have more than one that are close. I'll do my best to make sure that each model is finished before I post another one. However, I will continue to post them on my blog, for those that want to build them. I want to make each one available as .jpeg, .bmp, but I also want to make each one available as .pdo files for those that might like to retexture, or resize them. Additionally, I'm working on making each one available as .pdf files. I'd like the modelers to have every option available to them. Again, thanks ofr your input.
  13. MTK

MTK Active Member

I've uploaded an "Advanced Starter Kit" for all of those that would like to proceed with this and are tired of waiting on me to get this done.

As stated in the blog, I will be adding the revised .pdo and .pdf files soon.
    Thanks for your patience, sorry for the delay.:mrgreen::thumb:
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

MTK, if you wrote a Primer on Pepakura and Textures, I would be the first one to read it. Texture and graphics are my weak points. I do CAD, no problem with that. Pepakura and Graphics, especially like what you are doing, just can't do it. Very impressive!
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

Oh yes you can. Never say never.:mrgreen:
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Bad unfold or not, I'm floored by the fact that it's 1:350!! I think I'll load it into Designer and see if I can make it better.
  17. MTK

MTK Active Member

The model is and has been worked on since the initial release and the initial release was called a preliminary model. The thread itself is titled WIP! I do not think it is a bad model, or a horrible model. What I do think is that someone spent their time working on this to put it out for free and has not only done that, but has continued to work on it to make it better and has gone one further and offered up all of the original data as well as conversions and outputs in other formats to make it easier for others to work on it. I believe their is a difference between constructive criticism and negatively descriptive adjectives. My sole reason for putting together the "Advanced Starter Kit" was to make the files available for someone else to work on it. So, yeah, if you think you can make it "Better" by all means go for it. If you or anyone else has an issue with the size to scale ratio, please show me your sources, because I went through several different sources and as with amny Trek starships, there's as much contradictory data as there is rational information.
  18. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Millenniumfalsehood likes big models. a 1:350 Akira model is right up his alley! I don't think he was criticizing this model or the scale...

Also, not sure if you shared this info before, but what 3D software (aside from pepakura) do you use when working on your models?
  19. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'm not saying that MF is, but in this thread alone there have been the terms horrible and bad used for something that is still a work in progress.

With regards to software..... I use any number of programs depending on what's needed.... Meta, Pep, Lightwave 9.6, Bryce 7, Poser 8, Paint.Net, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, PDF Creator, GIMP,.... It all depends on what is needed, what file type needs the most attention, what type work needs done, textures, unfolding, manipulation, vectoring...
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Well,I find your knowledge of software most impressive, and think of you as a major asset to this forum. That is one heckuva list of software to be fluent in! I think that some of the younger contributors in their zeal may not express their intent correctly. Words are kind of a problem, especially the written word. I got a call today and the Doctor said, "Your blood test results were (garbled) "atal", I said "WHAT?", she then said "stable".