1:270 Starfighters

Tirick

Alright. I'm not quite ready to call this a return from my sabbatical, but I was absolutely possessed with the idea for designing and these and so could not resist.

After finally setting up my worktable again, after a long spring and summer without, I laid out my Fantasy Flight X-Wing game and figures and was struck at how well that scale could be turned into the paper medium.

Thus, these models were born. The first three are iterative designs, sharing a lot of elements in common. To be fair, the first two are already released models. I'll say this more than once. These are not alternatives to the gaming figures. If you like tabletop games, if you like starfighters, buy it, buy the fighter packs. This is the single best tabletop game I've played. The figures are expertly designed, very well painted and cheap. Fantasy Flight is no Games Workshop. Support them.

That said. I like models. I am a sucker for things built to scale with each other, and I want a damned fleet of these little things, something my budget will not allow. So in the interests of display, diorama, wrecked fighter markers and interesting design options (like the TIE Ugly). I made these.

The TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor are built, tested and uploaded to my site. The Defender is just awaiting completion of the prototype, although I have zero doubt it will work (I just want to build the first ones).

I plan to design a Z95 (old school) next, and maybe an X-Wing and B-Wing after that (I know, not the B-Wing everyone is looking for).

Enjoy,
Sean

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Tirick, welcome back. I am glad to see that you are still around.
These little guys are GREAT!!!
Even if someone does not play the game, these are still GREAT COLLECTABLES!!!
Once again, welcome back and thank you for the new models.
I am looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful work!

Tirick

It feels good to make models again. I can't say how long this will last, as the allure of gaming is quite strong at times, but here is the third in the series, the TIE Defender.

If you are unfamiliar with the design it is from the X-Wing series of games by the now defunct Lucasarts. It was largely considered overpowered as it had the speed of a TIE Fighter and possessed shields as well as 6 laser cannons (and a hyper-drive if I recall). This build is a touch more challenging than the other two as the laminate details are thinner and require more care.

As this is not in the game yet, I'll not repeat the caveats above, but it should be a great addition to your shelves. I intend to tackle the X-Wing next, as it has better pictures for modeling, and will nicely lead into the Z95 design. I will however texture it in Corran Horns' CorSec blues, rather than the typical Rogue Squadron markings.

It is up on my site, http://tcfgaming.com .

Enjoy,
Sean

sidewinder81777

Midnight Modeler
No problem :D just happen to be reading the X-Wing series books at the moment lol, I have somebody repainting Imcold's X-wing in that scheme for me ;)

Tirick

There was a hacker attack on my site, and on the host that carries my site today and they were forced to migrate everyone to a new server. Their newest backup is from a week ago, so I will have lost all of the TIE uploads from this week. I will let you all know once I have the heart to get the data back up.

This crap is really demotivating. I run the site at a loss, spend countless hours making models and managing the site only to have some asshat screw it up.

Sean

Rogerio Silva

Tirick

I'm sorry to hear about the hack attack. Some people just can't stand others being successful, they probably want everyone to be as mediocre as themselves. Envy is a real problem, not to use the word I'm thinking of now.
That being said, allow me to congratulate you for your fine models. Absolutely amazing, excellent work! Just a doubt, though: could you please post a pic with something (like a pen, for instance) to give us an idea of the scale?
Thanks in advance!

Rogério

Tirick

I'l be finishing up my 1:1000 Timberwolf tonight and need to take pictures anyway, so sure. For general reference before that, the TIE is 4 cm tall; the ball cockpit is around 1 cm in diameter.

silveroxide

Hi! Tirick, Glad to see your posts again, It has been a while and sorry to hear about that self ingratiating cretin who goes around enjoying himself at other peoples expense. This is about as civil as I can get without bleeping and censoring my comments. Welcome back and thanks for sharing in your works. Do not be a stranger and hope to see more of your stuff again.

Tirick

As requested, a sample shot with something for reference. I have used a Canadian Penny, as it is close to 2 cm (18 mm).

I will get these back up soon, although probably not tonight.

Sean

Tirick

I apologize for the long delay, but the files are once again back up. I still need to update the front page, but you can nav there through the Vehicles Section.

Thank you,
Sean

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering if you had plans on making the Thunder Fighters or Vipers in this scale?

Tirick

Eventually. My development pace has slowed considerably this year, so I really don't want to promise, but I intentionally referred to the set as 1:270 Starships rather than 1:270 Star Wars Ships. The Viper and Cylon Raider are on my short list. The Thunder Fighter? Man, I haven't thought of Buck Rogers in a long time. Loved that show.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Eventually. My development pace has slowed considerably this year, so I really don't want to promise, but I intentionally referred to the set as 1:270 Starships rather than 1:270 Star Wars Ships. The Viper and Cylon Raider are on my short list. The Thunder Fighter? Man, I haven't thought of Buck Rogers in a long time. Loved that show.

I fully understand that real life take front seat and can GREATLY cut into hobby time. So take all the time you need.
With that being said, I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

I have to say that the Thunder Fighter is one of my TOP 5 fighters in SCI-FI, and I would really like to see what you can do with such in this scale. There is no question, that I would build them if you made them.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR FINE WORK!!!

Tirick

Nothing quite like thread necro, but as it is my thread, and related ;)...

I have not been modeling for the last 6 months or so. A whole lot of hammers fell late last year, and I am still picking up the mess. However, I am starting to crawl out of that funk.

To celebrate I present: 1:270 X-Wing!

X-Wing-Tex-003_zps9816e86d.jpg

X-Wing-Tex-001_zpsadb6d064.jpg

X-Wing-Tex-002_zps538c4cca.jpg

It has been uploaded to my site, and has been included with blank textures to allow you to create your own patterns. I have not included instructions (the very worst part of design is the damned instructions), but they are in .pdo format, so rescaling and examining the model should be relatively easy.

I have not, in all honesty, built one yet, but I've been designing for a long time, and I'm fairly confident this will assemble well (although it is more difficult than the TIE fighter).

Enjoy!
Sean