1:24 Tardis

PlutoniumBoss

My first papercraft was a companion cube, now as a warmup before tackling uhu's Heart of Gold I'm going to put together the 1:24 Tardis found on chthulhu.com.

Attachments

• tardissheets.jpg
    tardissheets.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23

PlutoniumBoss

I must say, this is a nice little template. It's got crease guides, so I'm going to crease before I cut. My build isn't going to be precisely 1:24, because I let the print re-size. The scale at the top of the page that says it should print at 7.5 inches measures in at 7 and 5/16, for anyone compelled to do the math.

Pay attention to the asterisks when pre-creasing. When you see them, refer to the text instructions in the pdf so you don't crease something you shouldn't.

The roof components, especially piece 8, should have asterisks in a few places but don't. Read step 10 in the instructions before creasing these.

Z

Zathros

The iconic Tardis. I feel like building one and hyst sticking it i the corner of the hose somewhere. :)

PlutoniumBoss

Well this one's certainly small enough to just put somewhere in the house. I'd be taking pictures but the creases won't show on camera.

The instructions suggest an optional step of printing an extra copy of the first sheet, and adding another layer of details to the body. But it's such a small scale that I think I can get those details by actually sculpting the paper a little.

I'm going to lay the body piece over a bit of paperboard and press it down from behind with the rounded end of a small paperclip to create raised features. Maybe also create depressed features by flipping it and pressing from the front.

The shaping from behind isn't as visible as I'd like, so I'm abandoning it.

Here are pieces 1 and 2, ready to go.

Attachments

• oneandtwo.jpg
    oneandtwo.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 10

PlutoniumBoss

Part 3 (2x), and the glued/folded part 2.

I'm cutting wherever possible with scissors, because I find it gives me greater control than an x-acto. Only on certain awkward cuts do I find it better to use an x-acto. As for glue, I find a tiny amount of cyanoacrylate gel goes a long way.

Attachments

• three.jpg
    three.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 9

PlutoniumBoss

Here we have parts 3 glued to the top and bottom of the body, and parts 4, the columns, in various states between unfolded and glued.

Attachments

• four.jpg
    four.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 14

PlutoniumBoss

This'll be the last pic tonight, the body is on the base now and one of the pillars is attached. I'll put the other pillars on and close up the base tonight.

I would recommend trimming the outside edges of the parts numbered 3 back just slightly, to avoid those edges showing between the base and the body. Also, you might want to edit the base piece to have the blue color overlap the inner area. And be careful to keep the pillars straight, one of mine is twisted slightly along its length.

Attachments

• five.jpg
    five.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9

luciencarroll

Grand Poobah
Fantastic work. Point of fact, the trimming and scaling of the base won't be necessary if you do the extra layer of detailing, as this would cover the seems and the white on the base.
Again nice work

PlutoniumBoss

I tried to find a template for one that was bigger on the inside, but alas, I'm forced to simply make the interior and exterior as separate models.

Attachments

• stp8.jpg
    stp8.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6

PlutoniumBoss

And here's the roof resting on top. Not going to glue it down, I think. I'm also not going to take step by step pics of the beacon building, because that'd be tedious, so next pic should be finished product.

Attachments

• stp14.jpg
    stp14.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 7

PlutoniumBoss

And there you have it. The finished product, plus the tools I used to make it with. (Sans the x-acto which is still on the table.) The tip of the file on the pocket knife was used to score creases.

Attachments

• finis.jpg
    finis.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 15