1/24 Mercury Spacecraft Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by wyverns4, May 6, 2006.

1. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

I have been working on the 1/24th scale Mercury Capsule from The Lower Hudson Valley Model Site. Very nice model. I'm wondering if anyone has designed the rest of the rocket, and where I might get the files? I believe the total size, including the completed capsule with rescue tower would be a shade under 6 feet tall, not too bad. I'd also like to find a launch tower? I'm not ready to design my own models yet...no software and little talent! Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Guys!

2. C Greg

C Greg New Member

I'm working on the capsule, too. Your project sounds pretty cool.
    I was going to suggest using a 3" mailing tube for a Redstone rocket body, but it's diameter is a bit too large (the Redstone was a smaller diameter than the capsule and was mated with an adaptor). You could build up the diameter of the mailing tube with paper wraps until it looks right.
    Here is a link for some info on detailing on the Merc/Redstone:

I'd suggest foamcore board for the fins, the thickness would about right. Cover the leading edges with folded paper.

The Merc/Redstone was launched from a table. Here is a link to a 1:48 scale paper model of the launch table:

Good luck,
  3. C Greg

C Greg New Member

Sorry, I meant to say build up a smaller mailing tube, maybe a 2.5" tube.
    Actually, an Estes BT-80 tube (about 2.6" OD) is closer to the right size.

I have heard of slitting tubes and regluing with an overlap to reduce the size, but I've never tried it. It would be cheap to experiment with the 3" mailing tubes.

Or you could build a tube from scratch with poster board. I've never tried such a big tube.

Keep us posted,
  4. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Thanks, Greg. I spent a good bit of time yesterday scouring the web for Redstone info. I found some good info, including a complete 1/96 scale model.

I'll try to get pictures of my capsule up when it is finished.

5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Um, I believe the cardinspace mercury redstone is in 1/48 scale :-D
  6. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

My mistake! You are correct!
  7. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Here is a picture of the partially completed Mercury Capsule:

Attached Files:

8. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

I finished my 1/24th Mercury Capsule tonight. This is the first model I have downloaded, printed and built. It made a nice break from my Halinski P-40! Here are a few pictures of it:

Attached Files:

9. C Greg

C Greg New Member

Nice work, Rick.

I hope you'll build that big booster for it, too!!

10. C Greg

C Greg New Member

1:24 Mercury astronaut figure

Hey all,
    I made a crude interior from paper and an astronaut figure from polymer clay for Ton Noteboom's 1:24 Mercury spacecraft.

I photocopied the instrument panel from a NASA book.

Spam in a can.

Attached Files:

11. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

And you call this crude? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Great job there!!! How did you do the inside? :-D
  12. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Looks great. I was hopeing Ton would do a redstone rocket eventually to mate with his capsule? So far no joy!:cry:
  13. gpw

gpw Member

14. Mercsim

Mercsim Member

The weather turned nice and I have been at the airport and officiating football (my part time job) for the last few months. I live in the Phoenix area so we work indoors in the summer and outdoors in the winter. I read the postings here almost every day and you guys are getting me excited about finishing my Mercury capsule interior. Football is almost over so I'll get on it and get the aft bulkhead and equipment bays finished.

Feel free to scale my instrument panels down for smaller models. I know the colors are off a little (the light blue is too dark) but the scale is right. If someone needs help with scaling or smaller ones, let me know.

15. slee2099

slee2099 Member

I took the !/48 scale from cards in space enlarged it to 200% then copied each page, after that I copied and pasted each piece so it could be printed on normal size printer stock it came out great I'll try to post pics when I get a chance. I also used this same technique for the 1/24 scale capsule and am right now working on a 200% enlagement of Curells V2 model also I'm doing a copy and paste on Tons 1/96 scale Saturn 1B to 1/48, I guess you can tell I like large scale. And buy the way great job on the models guys.
  16. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

A liitle off topic but still 1/24 scale, has anyone seen any 1/24 apollo CSM's or even the newest Orion CSM in 1/24 scale? Thanks.
  17. mvink

mvink Member

18. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Ok..Thanks Mvink..I'll give that try.
  19. mvink

mvink Member

In order to scale up the files, just print at 150% or increase the parts by 1.5 times original size. That should give you 1/32nd scale.

20. mvink

mvink Member

Sorry -- scratch that. That goes from 1/48 to 1/32. To go from 1/32 to 1/24, increase the print 133% or 1.33 times the original part size.