1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Tonino, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Tonino

Tonino Member

Hi all.
    I want to share with you my new idea. It's a very complex and ambitious project and, most likely, will keep my attention for a long time, but now that I have started thinkin on it I cannot place my hands on any other model...

So, where it all started?
    As I told you in a previous post I saw in a blog a photo depicting a shuttle cockpit paper model very detailed. Asked here and, thanks to @Nando, I found the original model files posted in Yahoo group Paper Space Models.

The cockpit, very nice and fully detailed, was designed by Thorsten Brand, a german cardmodeller, it's 1:48 scale and is part of a full Space Shuttle model that is going to be, I think, the best paper shuttle all around when completed. Unfortunately the project is in a Stand-By state at the moment.

My idea is to start from this model section upscaling it as much as possible (considering I can print only on A4 paper) and realize a stand-alone display model of the whole Space Shuttle front-upper section with all the detail I can put in it.

This is a sketch, just to give you an idea.

Obviously this will require a full redrawing of all the internal panels and cockpit details (chairs, joysticks, pedals... ). I'm thinking about something similar to Ken West's creations (you recalled him to me @Revell-Fan but @Nando did it before!) with all the levers and switches realized one by one... but perhaps I'm going too far away with my fantasy.... let's see what happens during the work... before dreaming!

I asked Thorst if I can use his templates as a starting base, something like a blank canvas I can paint to. He was very, very kind and wished me all the best with my project. So now I have my starting point to work on.

The first thing was to extract from pdf's all the vectorial information to paste them in Corel Draw and start rescaling and repositioning work. After some tries I concluded I was able, dividing the biggest pieces in 2 or 3 sub-components, to reach the huge 300% upscaling factor so my cockpit will be eventually 1:16 scale!!!! :D

The 2 pages from Thorst's original project now have reached the number of 20 (and I'm only at the beginning!!!).

Now I'm going to realize a test build with only the basic shapes (no textures) to verify the fitting after my rescaling work, and to figure out what is the best paper thickness to use to reach the right compromise between fine detailing and strenght (this is going to be a BIG model).

As you can see my flight deck will be about 26 cm. wide!
    The floor is one of the BIG pieces I was forced to divide in sub-components. I added a second layer divided in longitudinal direction so I won't need tabs to join the halves and, in the same time, I'll strenghten the base of the cabin.

This is the full base, dimensions are pretty impressive...

DSC07757.JPG And here are the first aft panels. Thorst made really a good work as the fitting is perfect.

I'm starting to enjoy a lot this project! :)
    zathros, Shipscape, lyter1958 and 4 others like this.
  2. ennder

ennder Member

SWEET you're off to a good start. I wondered what happened with Thorsten Brand's project. last I remember he was detailing the connections to the main tank and having trouble finding the blueprints for the connection bays.
    zathros and Tonino like this.
  3. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

WOOOOOOOW!!!!!! If you had chosen 1/18 it would have been action figure scale. :)
    zathros, Tonino and ASC Mclaren like this.
  4. Tonino

Tonino Member

Sorry RF: I didn't think of it!
    My only thought was: "How BIG can I do it?"

@ennder: I know he was pretty forward with his design work but he found some discrepancies in rear fuselage dimensions so he was forced to go some steps back to redraw part of the work already done. This is -I think - the reason for his project is in pause now. However he said he is thinking about placing hands on it again... let's hope he'll actually do: it was going to be a real wonder...
  5. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

GO Tonino, GOOOOO!

Best, Nando :)
    zathros and Tonino like this.
  6. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Exactly what RF said! This is awesome!
    Tonino likes this.
  7. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Oh my god, this is so cool! What a promising project, you will have a lot of people following your process closely (myself included)!

Edit: Just came to my mind, a cutaway-like model would be cool. So it is divided in the middle, and you can separate the two parts to look inside. Not sure about the difficulty of this, just a thought!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Tonino likes this.
  8. Tonino

Tonino Member

Yes, there must be some way to look inside or all the work will be useless... I was thinking about some kind of top aperture, like a box with opening lid, perhaps with hinges on one side... something like the first photo on my previous post...
    But with the complete fuselage wall on the external side it can be somewhat harder... I'll think to something...
    zathros likes this.
  9. THE DC

THE DC Member

I'm watching this thread with interest.

Great project!
  10. Tonino

Tonino Member

Thanks my friends, I'm glad to have your attention, but prepare to be patient... I'm afraid this will be a loooong trip! And so little time for hobbies... sigh!

Well, here's my today update on the test build.

The aft side walls with those strange structures simulating part of the many recesses and ledges of the wall. With colors on them they will be somewhat better I think.
    The walls and aft side consolles are in place. The fitting is always perfect so far.

Those two elements, as you can see, was the first difficult piece to put on. The shape is pretty complex and perhaps the part can be unfolded in a different way. I should think a bit about this.
    The weakest part is the join with the side consolles, especially in the lower section (see next photos)
    DSC07773.JPG DSC07774.JPG
    On the right - especially - I made the worst join. I 'm sure it's my fault and not a design issue, but the next time, with the real thing... I should study something different for that spot.

And now a little experiment...

I'm sure that many of you know the Apollo Command module model by Ken West... with all those tiny switches...
    I was thinking about something of that stuff for my Shuttle so I made a little try:
    DSC07767.JPG DSC07770.JPG
    I used a 0,3 mm wide metal wire to make two little loops and a micro-switch in the center. It was a hell of a work... I don't know if I'll have the force (Jedi style) to repeat this thing for the hundreds of times needed to cover all the panels... For the moment I'll just meditate on it... waiting inspiration...

It's all for this session, this is the actual status of my test build.

See you soon!
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  11. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@Tonino I think that you are off to a really good start. I think that you can really greeble this out. I can see how this can be used as a teaching aid in schools.
    I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.
    zathros likes this.
  12. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

Can I ask you which Shuttle cockpit you are modeling? Any of these?

623176main_pd_discflightdeck.jpg atlantis-cockpit.jpg a-view-inside-space-shuttle-endeavors-flight-deck-picture.jpg SH2.jpg
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  13. Tonino

Tonino Member

I'm still considering which mission to choose for my cockpit.
    I think I'll decide for the STS134, with the Endeavour. That was one of the last missions (the second-last) and the last one to have an italian astronaut on board (Roberto Vittori). I've found several images taken inside the Endeavour during that mission so I think I can have enough documentation to help my build.
    Roberto Vittori on the pilot seat aboard Endeavour during STS134.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    zathros and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  14. zathros

I like that!! I like that a lot. Would you mind my posting of any pictures and data I may find? :)
  15. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Tonino, I just had a thought about the switches: You could make them from paper with a texture the same way you inserted the metal rings from behind. It is a bit difficult to explain and please just take this as an idea of someone who doesn't know the size or scale of your project.:hammerhead:

Please excuse the sketch, it is kind of a mess, but I hope you get the idea behind it. When fully inserted from behind, you could maintain a clean look on the front. But it would still be a huge load of switches which all have to be crafted individually :(
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  16. zathros

That's very interesting "nero on fire" :)
  17. Tonino

Tonino Member

Absolutely!!! I greatly appreciate any kind of contribution to document my build. Any kind of reference will be more than welcome!!!!

@nero_on_fire Excuse me Nero if I didn't notice your post before: now I'm between mountains and my only contact with civilized world is my cellphone but here the signal is very weak so I can't surf the web very well...
    You make me laugh because you are the demonstration that cardmodelers' brains work all the same way. I had exactly the same idea (exactly as you sketched it) but, when I printed my prototype, I realized that the switches are really too tiny to follow that way. I want to make some try with paper before surrender to the metal option... but I'm afraid it won't be possible. Anyway I'm amazed by how close our thoughts went along the same path...:)
  18. zathros

I would recommend colored sheet plastic. Sheets of cellophane, or other similar products come in a myriad of colors. The are used as paper folder binders. :)
  19. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

Yeah, sometimes there shines this little light bulb over my head and then I have to write things down before the colander I call my brain forgets what it just created, I guess this was such a moment (look at my avatar to get an idea of this mental state...) :hammerhead:

I already suspected that even when upscaled the switches would still be too tiny to be created individually with paper, but zathros idea sounds like it would work even better (and would look awesome).

You could use 3 or 5 mm thick bookbinding grey board, mounted behind the white or textured console. Then cut little slits into it to push the thin cellophane into. The thick grey board makes cuts kinda close again (hard to describe), so the cellophane would be hold in place without glue or tabs or anything like that.

But in the end, it would still be a huge load of switches to make judging from the pictures you posted :(

I'm sure you will find the best way to create this, and I can't wait to see the next progress of this!
  20. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member