1:12 Gort head problems

fEcks

A year ago I downloaded surfduke's Gort paper model and started building. I ran into a snag that I hope someone can `straighten out'.

The link to the pdf can be found on his thread, Gort?

Here is a pic of Gort from the pdf paper model.

Attachments

• Gort_head_from_pdf.jpg
    Gort_head_from_pdf.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 7

fEcks

Here is my build's front view. I think it's too long and the top of his head looks like a "kitchen chef's hat".

Attachments

• 100_0706-zealot.jpg
    100_0706-zealot.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 72

fEcks

Anyone else build this?

I thank you for the work, surfduke, and I mean no disrespect in what I am about to say.

I could be wrong, but I think this part needs to be corrected, eh?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
No need to apologize. This model is a candidte for waterforming, it would be the only way to do the compound curves, the filled and sanded , then painted. The model itself was a Beta, never is a sorry needed when that is stated. The general shape is wrong, a MESH of Gort's head woud have to be found to get started. This would not be an easy build, let's be real compound curves are the hardett thing to do when making models out of paper forming, but as many members are now using water forming techniques, which I suggested a long time ago, and Dan B. King perfected the technique with his 2001 Odyssey model, show just how excellently moist paper a large sponge (appropriate to the project, pressed into the proper shape can be formed into a sphere. :)

SURFDUKE2001

Kartonmodellbauer
That is a idea I have never considered. I have done lots of vacuum forming with plastic. Never water on paper. I'll keep it in mind for future projects. The Yoda cradle would be a good candidate for that method for sure.

Duke Out!

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
There is going to be lines. You just have to live with the most accurate lines you can get is all. Water forming is great, tissue paper layered with glue is great also. Shadow Cory has done a pretty good GORT, also there are Ultraman heads out there that are kind of the same shape, that studying them would not be a waste.

sdfghjuk.png

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ShadowCory is one of the best when it comes to modeling organic shapes. I don't know how he does it but the results are unbelievable.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Conical shapes would be the best for this model. Petals would be hard to make smooth. IMHO

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The faces seem to be too high. If I could get a copy of the head I may give it a try to correct the proportions and turn the petals into cones.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
To be honest, it's a boring model. You could do just as good as a job with the spherical head formed with a half sphere, with two part epoxy, the filed, and subsequent parts, like the jaw, made separately and ground, sanded and polished into shape. Some things are for paper, this would be a waste of time IMHO, especially with all the other subjects to model out there, that with a little water forming could lead to soomething spectacular. The big Rubber Suited Robot was great because the movie was great. If it was in a crappy movie, I doubt it would be as well remembered. ;)

Last edited: