1:1000 scale MS KREFELD by WHV

barry

Krefeld

Wotcher Jim

Well worth stopping by, it's almost sad it's nearly finished but we have Conny to look forward too.

regards

Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Well, mate, maybe it's not going to be done so quickly...it took me a few night sessions to build up a few lengths of railing. At least I seem to be learning from my earlier models and have stopped trying to wrap the thread around the jig but to use glue stiffened threads...it does make it easier to position the rails components and everything doesn't spring from the jig when I cut them off. It was a bit more difficult to get the paint on the thread without clogging all the little holes between the threads, but using thinned out paint helped a lot.

Anyway, here's a look at the jig used for the railings with the railings all painted up and ready to be removed from the jig:

railingjig7ls.jpg

And having spent about an hour putting on the railings on the forecastle, this is what I have to show for my efforts:

railingsinstalledonforecastlej.jpg

It was a little difficult positioning the railings just right, and measuring off the right lengths, but fitting before gluing is a big help. Here's another view:

railingsonforecastlefromstarbo.jpg

continued....

Jim Krauzlis

Here's another view of the railings showing the opening for the ladder...that was a bit difficult to account for, but it is what it is at this point.

anotherviewofforecastlerailing.jpg

Maybe from this view the set up on the forecastle is a bit clearer:

railingsonforecastlefrombowson.jpg

This view is just for the heck of it!

viewofforecastlerailingsfrompo.jpg

Well, that's all I was able to accomplish so far. I think I will have to make up another jig's worth of railings to finish this one, so it's going to take a bit longer than I figured on to get there.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and taking a look at how she's going...slowly but surely.

Cheers!

Jim

Gil

Hey Squinty,

Better hurry up before the crew falls overboard! Very nice work. It almost looks like you meant it that way...,

-Gil

silverw

Hey JIM!!....
Is there anyway you can borrow me, one of those maganafyen glasses.....to look at your work!!!

I'm going for NEW glasses... but, I don't want to miss anything!!!
... Bill

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, mates!:)

@Gil, don't worry it's one long coffee break right now, no one is allowed on deck except the railing crew; crew's been told if they want to go topsides it's at their own risk. The only group on deck is the bosun and a few os slushing the cargo lines.:grin:

@Bill, I wish I could send them to you, but I'd be blind without them for sure. It's gotten to the point where without them I can't even cut along the lines any more...I think I need new reading glasses.:cry:

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Well, after a bit of a delay, she's finally done...at least as much as I plan to do with this build.

It took a while to get the railings worked out, and I should have put some rails on the house area, but there's just too much rigging in the way. So, I just added the railing to the stern area. Here's a look at how the stern section came out:

viewfromsternfeb2620066ci.jpg

Here's a view from the starboard bow showing the finished model:

viewfromstarboardbowfeb2620068.jpg

This is how she looks from the starboard quarter:

viewfromstarboardquarterfeb262.jpg

I really had a lot of fun playing around with this small lady, and I hope you enjoyed seeing her develop along the way. This is the final picture, showing how she came out overall:

mskrefeldcompletedfeb2620067br.jpg

Thanks to all who stopped by to take a look!

Cheers!

Jim

J

Jim Nunn

Jim,

My eyes hurt just thinking about building a model in this scale. The railing knocked me of my my chair.
I’m sending a note to David Okamura (AKA DTO) letting him know that there is another micro modeler.

Jim Nunn

What a nice job Jim. Great work.

That'll make a fine addition to your collection, and won't take up much room either. :grin:

silverw

Itty Bitty Tiny Boats!!!

Hey Jim! Fantastic stuff!! I just don't know what else to say. OK.... Now we've seen your one cent model...... can't wait till you put in your "2 cents worth!!!"
.......... I gotta go put some eye drops in!

... Bill

barry

Krefeld

Hats off to MR Krauslis SIR wonderful build Jim can't wait for the next one

regards

bazzer

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Mates!:)

I am so very glad you all enjoyed seeing this little lady to completion...I also have to say thanks to all of you for posting your own builds which I enjoy reading so much...there is a lot of what I used in building this model that I learned from you and your builds, which is one of the superb benefits of such a wonderful forum. I only wish I had more time to spend checking in than I do now, but what with work, family and the limit of a 24 hour day, it sometimes is difficult to stop by (notice I didn't say sleep?:wink: )...but, boy oh boy, when I do, I always enjoy seeing what you folks are building and how you tackle difficult construction steps...always a learning experience that I try to use in my own builds.

I am particularly humbled by some of the very generous words you have written, and they are, as always, very much appreciated...I hope some of my narrative have provided some enjoyment and maybe even some ideas on how to do something in your own models, much as I have received some great ideas from your posts.

I hope to get back to Constitution in a bit, but there's this Fokker E.III waiting to be built that begs some of my attention as well...and a Fokker Dr.1 from Sero Paperwarbirds I have been meaning to start...and some JSC merchant ships I want to build at a reduced scale of 1/600...then there's that container ship Barry and I have talked about for a while that I would love to get going on...oh, so many models, and so little time in a day to build them.:grin:

Seriously, thanks again to all.

Cheers!
Jim