1:1000 Scale Battlemechs WIP / Release

Z

Zathros

Quite an amazing assortment of figures there. Really, they're so colorful and detailed, yet so small, it is amazing! :)

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
These are incredible! I don't know if I have the patience to work so small. I'd go nuts. I've played Classic Battletech for fifteen or sixteen years now (no Quicky Clicky stuff for me). When my brothers and I began making terrain and dropships, we used the Atlas as the base measurement, and figured that since it would be as tall as a 4-storey building (according the the novels and fluff), we went from there.

We agreed that the hexes were annoyingly small, and according to our math (which I can't remember) a 4-inch diameter hex would be the right scale. Of course this means you have to fight in a fairly large room, so we settled on a 3-inch hex instead.

If you are interested, I have a 1:285 scale Leopard dropship in PDF form I can send you.

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Hell yes, I'd love a dropshop! I'll PM you and send an e-mail address. Thank you!

These mechs can certainly be rescaled up to figure-scale. They would be a LOT easier to build in that case.

The Mad Dog is now built, striking fear in the hearts of those poor Inner Sphere mechwarriors...

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

In all the built went well, although a few of the more fiddly bits did not work as designed. Some parts are just too small to reasonably roll/fold.

The Timberwolf texturing is coming along nicely. If I get time tonight I'll post up the Mad Dog on my site.

Enjoy,
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
One of the reasons I love to have models in scale with one another is that you can really get a scope of how big some things really are. I just finished building BLaaR's Mechwarrior 4 model of the Overlord-Class Dropship (available on papermodelers.com in the download section). I rescaled it to map scale (1:1000), and show it with the scale mechs.

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

Also, a friend was kind enough to grab me an Introductory Box set of the Battletech game while at GenCon. So, I can finally show you the new models next to their rescaled counterparts (for the Atlas and the Catapult, at any rate). 'Model' scale is 1:285 I believe, but as with any miniature, the standard is probably adjusted to fit the game play area.

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Enjoy,
Tirick

Sanginus

Mar 8, 2011
Germany near Hamburg
your builds of the ship and mechs looks so great,
thanks for sharing
by the way,
where do you get the bad looking plastic mechs,
never seen before so ugly making models

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
*laughs* The new introductory Box Set from Catalyst. You get 24 moderate to bad mechs + 2 very well detailed clan mechs, a few really good intro rules/Inner Sphere books and two fold out heavy-card mapsheets. All in all, at less than $3 per mini (assuming the books are 'free') I can't really complain. The WOTC figures for star wars and D&D were worse (although pre-painted).

Sanginus

Mar 8, 2011
Germany near Hamburg
ok, one more reason not to buy the box.
had toyed with the idea,
but the mechs are indeed cast really very bad.

maybe you should offer your models the manufacturer :thumb:

But you are right, the other accessories is ok
only the rules and cards I already have.
Therefore I skip then probably the 50, - €

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
The Cat is probably the worst of them to be fair. I do need to clean them all of flash, and maybe open up some detail on a few. They are great for my son, who is five, as they are made of a sturdy plastic. The two 'premium' plastic mechs are top-notch though. I wish they had continued the line.

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
I got the old Citytech set many moons ago. Yeah, their plastic mechs leave a lot to be desired. On the plus side, they're a lot easier to kitbash than the metal ones!

I admit, Games Workshop's prices are hideous, and most of their models are butt-ugly. But the quality of the workmanship is something I wish battletech producers would match.

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Well, it has been a while (I blame ArenaNet), but I've finally finished the textures for the Timberwolf. I have yet to unfold it, but I've deliberately designed this for ease of building, so I have few worries. I should have it done in a few days and I'll post again once I am complete.

My ink cartridge exploded, so I will not be building a prototype before posting the unfold (along with textures) up on my site.

Timberwolf-001.jpg

Timberwolf-002.png

Enjoy,
Tirick

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Build time (with cutting) was around 1-1.5 hours. I'm pretty practiced at making tiny paper parts though. The first few may not be so quick for someone new to it.

Sadly, the Maurader is not my model. I just rescaled an existing .pdo file for my own build/test. I can't recall at the moment the source, although it was a MechWarrior 4 modding site.

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
It took far too long to get to, but the Timberwolf is now added to my site catalogue. If you missed the post, the site layout has changed fairly significantly, although it should be easy to locate the Battletech set.

Now, onto my City Walls set, which is in the final texture stages. I hope to have that one released within the week.

Enjoy,
Sean

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I know, I've taken a long break from design, but this one just kept pestering me until I sat down and stopped gaming long enough to put it together. It is a simple set, possibly the simplest model I've yet released, but I think it will add to the 1:1000 Hex terrain/mech sets considerably, and even possibly be useful at full scale (1:285).

3D Hex Forest / Woods markers:

This set is designed to replicate 12-15 meter tall trees (standard 'woods' height in Battletech), in both Light and Heavy patterns. The design is simple enough and allows for any figure with a base smaller than a full Hex to sit comfortably within it. Obviously, it will look more 'correct' with a 1:1000 Battlemech, but this should still provide a good visual cue to the areas marked by forest, and allow a modular setup to reflect forest terrain.

Alternate no-text textures are available, as well as both pdf and pdo files. I've included a UV map for convenience, should you wish to design your own texture plan.

With a 1:1000 scale figure:

With a 1:285 scale figure (approximately):

As with all of my models this is available, for free, at my site: tcfgaming.com

Enjoy,
Tirick

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is really amazing. To see a game coming together. I don't even know what to say? I just keep looking. :)