1/10 Scale Sprint Cars

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by bandit1, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ive been farting around in some different rc sprint car sites and have gotten some interest in these things. i dont really know much about them exept i like them, and i would consider building up a custom one or buying a nitro one. Only big thing is I want it nitro. So if any of you have had expierience, or know any sites that sell them, please let me know. Thanks
  2. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. New Member

What are some of the bigger sites for RC sprinters? I am a huge open wheel dirt fan, and would seriously be interested in building a nitro one myself. Thanks!
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

hey, cool Jeremy. I cant really say I am a huge fan of open wheel dirt racing, but it's just because i cant get to the tracks when i want to. The only decent site I have found is www.rcsprintcars.com But i was looking around at their cars and it looks like to me like you have to buy a cage seperate from suspension, engine, steering, electronics, ect. But it does look like an awesome project to start on if youve got the money. And it doesnt stop there because once you have everything, you can find, or in my case go to the track you built and work on race set-ups. check it out and let me know what you find!
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

RC Car Action Magazine,Readers` Rides section.where they print photos of peoples` rc cars;there was one pic of this guys sprint car.it was an RC10GT with a completely customized frame with the side ways wing on it and everything.looked pretty cool.looks just like a full size one but it was 1/10 scale.

it was in the October 2003 issue.i dont know if you can find it here www.rccaraction.com
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

those things are kool. but i dont have the money for nitro. do they make electric ones?
  6. bandit1

bandit1 Member

tim- thanks for the link on that, I will check it out.
    monster-from what i've looked at on that site, the chassis it comes with is actually made for an electric set-up. But they sell parts to make it into a nitro set-up, and thats what i would go with.
  7. monsterrcbuilder04

i wana try to make an electric one. its a little expensive
  8. bandit1

bandit1 Member

when u say "make", do u mean welding up a frame, etc.? because your are right, the price is pretty high, especally for not including radio and engine! i did consider building up one but i would have to find someone with a welder. Let me know. maybe we can trade ideas and set ups. i may go electric now that i think about too...
  9. monsterrcbuilder04

well i wasn't thinking of welding up a chassis but now that you mention it i'm goin to talk to my friend and see if he can help me with one. it's awsome when someone gives you an idea without meaning to.THANX
  10. monsterrcbuilder04

11. bandit1

bandit1 Member

lol, ey no problem, i geuss thats another cool thing about these forums.but thanks for that link, i wasnt finding it on my own. I really like that spread sheet of parts they used. The way I read that was, you go and get an Associated RC10GT rolling chassis, buy your engine, (in their case, the Fantom FR12-F1011, very sweet) buy the Bullet roll cage, do a couple of cuts, add electronics and throw on a body and youve got a kick azz sprint car. Correct me please if I'm wrong, but this is actually turning out pretty good!! You still going electric, considering nitro, still pondering??? I'm leaning on nitro for sound, speed, but really like electric for weight issue's, simplicity and expierience.
  12. monsterrcbuilder04

ya i think you just buy an rc10gt rtr and then you could just buy the roll cage and you could probably start out like that. hte cage is still pretty expensive though. i have a lot more experience in electric and nitro fuel is expensive and i dont get to run my cars a lot as it is o i still wana go electric
  13. bandit1

bandit1 Member

im not too expierienced in nitro myself. But do you think that I can get the speed you would need to whip the back end around in the turns? I'm running a 13 turn in my evader and it does ok but i want to get the equivilant of a low end nitro engine speed out of a motor. Have any ideas on the chassis you'll go with considering the RC10GT is a nitro based chassis? I'm actually considering modding my evader chassis for this project if i go electric.
  14. bandit1

bandit1 Member

and just for kicks, here's the tracks website that I would race at if I can the parents to take me... http://www.ontraxhobbies.com about an hour or so from where i live, not bad.
  15. monsterrcbuilder04

thats a nice track.you live in NJ? i think you could put some low gears on your car but then you would loose speed. my bandit is great at whipin out the back end in the dirt. i'm probably goin to deisgn my own chassis for this project. the only hard pasrt is finding the money.
  16. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ya im in jersey, not many tracks really close but i make do with what i have. The track ive been to is a little closer but doesnt have a seperate class for sprint cars. Designing and building a complete chassis seems really cool. What material were you planning on using that would make the price high? I would think 1/4 in. steel, no???
  17. monsterrcbuilder04

well my friends dad owns a shop so i dont think it will cost a lot. he will probably have scraps that will work fine. i want to use aluminum but i'm not sure wat thickness
  18. bandit1

bandit1 Member

i would go with aluminum too, but i talked to my uncle and he said i could use his welder but he doesnt have a heely(or something) arc welder that you need to weld aluminum, so it looks like ill be going with steel. Im going with 1/10 scale, you?
  19. monsterrcbuilder04

i didnt even think about that. i might have to go with steel too. i'm goin to make it 1/10 scale also
  20. bandit1

bandit1 Member

i wanted to go with steel too but i took some plans i made over to my dad and he asked me what kind of material i was using. I told him aluminum and thats when he told me about how you can use a regular arc welder for it. keep us posted on the progress!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.