1/10 scale Saturn V launch World Record!!

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Apr 26, 2009.

1. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi All:mrgreen:

Not exactly a paper model but you just have to see this!!
    Steve Eves successful world record attempt of his model 1/10 scale Saturn V Launch 1pm April 25th 2009.
    Standing 36 ft Tall:eek::eek:

Attached Files:

2. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

In space...No one can hear you "Get R Done"

Wow, hats off to an amazing piece of work

John John
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

That was awesome. I loved the landing too.

I'm confused as to where the 'record' comes in.
  4. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Apparently it is the largest model rocket ever built:twisted:

A quote I found:

"On April 25, 2009, history will be made. At Higgs Farm in Price, Maryland, Steve Eves will enter the history books as the person who flew the largest model rocket in history. The rocket will weigh over 1,600 pounds, it will stand over 36 feet tall and it will be powered by a massive array of nine motors: eight 13,000ns N-Class motors and a 77,000ns P-Class motor. The estimated altitude of this single stage effort will be between 3,000 and 4,000 feet and the project will be recovered at apogee."

Attached Files:

5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

He probably paid about $10,000 for the motor reloads alone. If he also bought the hardware, rather than borrow it (which some people do for high dollar projects), add at least another $4,500. This is why I switched from model rocketry to card modeling. It was getting expensive and the biggest I ever launched was an H motor. Excellent effort though, and likely to remain in the record books a long time.
  6. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

It says that his project was being sponsored by 'Rockets Magazine and MDRA'
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Aha, that would help a lot!
  8. mick

mick Member

absolutely frackin awsome
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I think I had watched a documentary about model rockets. Some were massive including one that got launched accidentally by a ladder that was blown over onto the electrical box during a sudden wind storm.

I think the landing alone was amazing. Also the video coverage was great.
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

That was fabulous! Thanks for posting it LondonBlue. I can only imagine how thrilled the builder must've felt to watch his "model" take off, and land again so perfectly.