1:1 scale Rocketeer Helmet??

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vortex_4200, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Does anyone know of a full scale rocketeer helmet out there? :confused::confused::confused:
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Nope, sorry :( You can either ask some people at the Designers corner, or you can ask somoene to desgn it. I suggest putting this in the paper models wanted :)
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

It's a pretty simple design. Do you want the old TV show version or the one from the movie? I'm in the designing mood, so I think I can knock this one together in an hour. :)
  4. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

The one from the movie, I have never seen one from the old shows, but I have always thought the one from the movie was very retro and very cool! :mrgreen:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Yeah that one was great. You're not missing much with the old design(it looks like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz). I'll dig out my old VHS of Rocketeer and study the helmet. :thumb:
  6. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Do you want me tra and dig up some pics?
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

If you want. Actually, I was looking for an excuse to watch "The Rocketeer" anyway. :thumb:
  8. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Well far be it for me to take your excuse away. :mrgreen:
  9. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

I would be in for one :)

There was a old TV version? Or are you thinking of Commander Cody? Which would also be cool to have :mrgreen:
  10. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Actually, there was no TV version of the Rocketeer. The Rocketeer was an original idea for a comic book that became a Disney movie. From Wiki:

The Rocketeer is a superhero created by writer/illustrator Dave Stevens that first appeared in a back-up feature of Pacific Comics' Starslayer #2 (1982). The character is a homage to the pulp heroes of the 1930s and 1940s.
    The Rocketeer was a stunt pilot who discovered a mysterious jet pack that allowed him to fly, the adventures were set in 1938 Los Angeles and Stevens gave them a retro, nostalgic feel, influenced by, among other things, Commando Cody movie serials and pinup diva Bettie Page.
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The only tricky bit to unfolding something like this would be the thick raised ridges running around the side. They would be a devil to do in paper....and would probably be best done in papier mache rather than as a plain card-model. you could also build up a fillet around the fin that way too to make it stronger and look like the welding on the original.
  12. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

I did my Boba Fett helmet in strawboard (2mm thick). Maybe layering that to get the right thickness for the raised edges on the side. Just need someone to model and unfold it to get the right shape and size. Maybe you need skip to have a go. Anyone seen his Emperors Royal Guard helmet http://forum.zealot.com/t160408/
  13. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

You could use hot glue to look like the weld.
  14. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Where would the best place to look for straw board?
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, I looked at the article and I think I was thinking of "Rocketman", a set of serials from the 40s. The article on Zombies of the Stratosphere has a good picture of the old Rockman helmet I was thinking of. :)
  16. So, what you are looking for is Commander Cody.

17. Millenniumfalsehood

Heh, yeah. I'm no good with names from series' I'm not familiar with. :wink:

I didn't get a chance to watch The Rocketeer this weekend, and I'm leaving for a couple of weeks to be a counselor at a camp so I won't have access to a TV or a computer. I'll try to get to work on it after then. :)
  18. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Have fun at camp, talk to you in a couple of weeks, try not to get lost in the woods. sign1
  19. clif52

clif52 Banned

I'm a big fan of Commando Cody/Rocketman and the Rocketeer. I'd love to build models of both if they become available. The helmets would be great but has anyone thought of trying to build actual flying figures that you could suspend on string or wire? That would be cool to hang from the ceiling.
  20. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

Wasn't there something like that when the movie came out ? It had a little propeller at the feet, flew around in circles from the ceiling ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.