1:1 scale Mauser C96

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Larry Richardson, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Richardson

Larry Richardson New Member

I thought I would take a crack at a scratch build of this historic pistol. There is a ton of photos and drawings available on the internet, and having spent a hour or more browsing websites, I am convinced that a pretty accurate model can be constructed even without actually having a real example on hand. I am a slow builder, so this will take a good while to complete, but I will share what progress I do make. And I welcome any suggestion from anyone who has a good idea on how to proceed. My approach is to break the model into four subassemblies, as pictured below. I am beginning with the grip assembly because it would seem to be the easiest. Thinking ahead a bit, I am considering a few moveable, but not actually functional, parts... the trigger, the hammer, the safety; maybe the bolt will slide. I would like an accurate barrel lining with the correct grooves and twist... I'm not sure exactly how that will be done. Finally, I am thinking that a dark blue-black finish over Red River Paper's metalic silver cardstock might give the model that extra "wow" factor.

View attachment 1397

Attached Files:

2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Rifling? My hat is off to you if you pull that off, but even if it isn't possible, that will be an interesting model.
  3. Larry Richardson

Rick... I am thinking of using a wooden dowel to wind a strip of cardstock around to create the barrel grooves. I'll wrap the barrel liner around that, then pull out the dowel when the glue is dry. I imagine it will take a few tries to get a satisfactory outcome.

4. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

I found this just the other day:

Maybe this will give you a start to your model. Let me know if you need help with the .war and .pdo files. I also just found the appropriate programs to extract and run those files.

Hope this helps!
  5. Larry Richardson

Rick... I have seen these models before, and they are interesting. I'm aiming for more realism, though, as much as cardstock will allow. Maybe I will bend some of the rules along the way....the finished model will still be entirely cardstock, but my building methods may be somewhat unconventional in places. Some parts will have several layers of cardstock for example... laminations so that the part is much stiffer. Come to think of it, some ship models employ laminated parts, so I am not really departing from convention in that respect. Actually, I am not really certain what the rules of design and construction are. Are there really any "rules"?

6. Brian Williams

Brian Williams New Member

i've built several of the kamikuzu designed models. although done well, i've had to rebuild(?) some things (like the grips) to make then look a little less boxy.
    good luck with that pistol...it's a doosie!
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Man.......... I always wanted one of these gun. Unfortunately I can not afford one at the current prices. I egarly await a model of this so I can finally have one to play with............ I know.......I know, I don't play with REAL guns. That's why I want a paper model!:grin:

8. George

George Member

9. Larry Richardson

George...nice images. One thing I am really weak on is the artwork. I need some good images to get ideas from. The TurboSquid artwork looks like just the sort of effect I am looking for.

Okay... I said I am a slow builder.... here is what I have so far. These are components for the handle frame. The part on the left is the inner third of the frame.... I made six or eight examples from three or four design schemes I tried out before I was satisfied. I know... this part looks simple. But think about how many ways you can lay out a pattern for something really simple, like a cube. One of the earlier pieces looked pretty good but had a lot of internal parts. This one has only two parts... looks good and is reasonably simple.

The part on the right is the slot at the back of the handle where the shoulder stock mounts. This part needs some refinement, but I think the concept is workable.

View attachment 1469

Attached Files:

10. Larry Richardson

Here is an exploded drawing of the C-96. I am not attempting to create the internal mechanism, but I am going to try to get the external features a accurate as I can. I am currently working on the handle frame... part 12 in the drawing.

View attachment 1470

Attached Files:

11. shrike

shrike Guest

Worst case if it isn't 100% accurate, you can call it an Astra....*

*Obscurity is often like age and treachery<G>
  12. Larry Richardson

ha-ha-ha.... I am thinking of borrowing a term from the guys that fly model airplanes... "stand-off scale"... or "don't-look-too-close scale"...

... or, in the worse case, I can change the name to "Mouser"... ha-ha-ha
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Jeez... i wonder if you plan to put sawdust powered paper bullets in it to get it to really work with that attempt at detail :p.

I must admit it's going to be interesting how you are going to 'handle' the creation of the grip.
  14. Larry Richardson

Steve0.... maybe someone would come up with patterns for dummy rounds. Here's something to go on.....
    View attachment 1473

Attached Files:

15. Major Walter Schmidt

Major Walter Schmidt Newbie Designer

how far are you now?
  16. roryoneill

roryoneill New Member

I'm keen on trying to make one of these from styrene and mdf, yours it is looking good!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.