0n30 Manufactures

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by weaham@localnet, Jul 24, 2005.

1. weaham@localnet

weaham@localnet New Member

Any input as to who makes 0n30 trains? I stopped by a hobbies shop in New York and they said that Bachmann was lake buying "boxed trash". I always thought they were a good line. Any input would be great as I am in the process of starting a layout.
  2. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Check out the Grandt Line Porters in On30.:)
  3. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Also, the BLI 2-8-0 is a very nice Loco and comes with sound and DCC :)
  4. denmarst

denmarst New Member

Hi All:
    Harry, I would first like to suggest that you find another Hobby Shop. I think you will find out that most of us have Bachmann's On30 locomotives and we are pleased with them. If you are looking for something different, try Mounatain Model Imports (MMI) D&RGW K-27. These are die cast with brass detail castings and are quite nice for less than $500.00. For a review, check out the July/Aug issue of the NG&SL Gazette, p. 13. Bob Brown, the magazine editor states; "these models are simply beautiful". They require a larger radius than the Bachmann 2-6-0 or the Broadway Limited 2-8-0.

Another possibility for you is Backwoods Miniatures, who offers kits and has recently released a R-T-R On30 2-6-2T, again you can find his advertising in the Gazette. His high quality locomotives are kits are based around the Bachmann chassis.

Good Luck.

Dennis Stanczak
    Chicago, Harvard & Geneva Lake Rwy in On30
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

the bachmann stuff of the 80s and early 90s was trash, with the exception of the spectrum line. Of course, there is still plenty of that old stuff still for sale, and maybe that is what the shop owner is thinking about. I don't have any experience with the On30 products, but I think the newer HO releases look great and run great. I would expect the On30 stuff to be equally good - especailly for someone just getting involved or minding a buget.

6. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

The Bachmann On30 stuff is great. I also suffer from a stuck-in-the-past hobbystore owner who jeeringly refers to anything made by "botchmann" to be worthless crap. Bachmann single-handedly introduced the world of On30 to the masses, and god bless them for it.

Ask anyone who has one - their On30 line of locos and rolling stock are gems.
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

The Bachmann of the On30 world is great stuff. I have two 2-6-0's and they run like my Atlas HO, smooth. The cars are rugged, dropped my caboose the other day and minor coupler damage was all I could see. They are bringing out some new freight cars that not run of the mill by any means. The EBT 2-bay hopper looks like it will be a jewel. Your hobby shop owner needs to open his eyes.

8. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

I agree that the Bachmann On30 stuff is good. The only piece that I'd steer anyone away from is the older 0-4-0 Porters. They used tiny pin and spring power pickups. The pins hang up and the loco dies. I bought two of them and niether one ran for more than an hour. The 0-4-2's use a different power pickup. It is a bronse spring affair that clamps into the motor housing. It works great. I have a couple of them and they have run with no problems at all.
    From what I've been told, the "new" version of the 0-4-0 has the same spring power pickups that the 0-4-2 has always had. Just check that the 0-4-0's you buy have the bronse spring pickups.
    I have the Climax and a couple the Shays. They look and run great. The 2-6-0 Mogul looks good and runs fair. It doesn't run real great at very slow speeds but other than that is a good loco. My Mogul took a dive from about 5' when I first got it, so that may be the reason it doesn't want to run great at slow speeds. Possible bent frame.
    The Climax, and the Shay will pull stumps. I have a 6.5% grade on my layout and they pull it with 5 or six cars with no problem.
    don't let anyone tell you that Bachmann is trash. They may have been in the past, but their Spectrum line is "very" good.
  9. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Hi Harry,

I got my first HO train set from Bachmann when I was 8... Back in '74... It still runs beautifully. The whole set is very well made, and pretty much bomb-proof! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

During the 80's and early 90's, Bachmann did put out some junk that ruined their reputation for some hobby shops. I heard the same thing from my local hobby shop when I got back into trains a few years ago...

The stuff that was sold seperately under the Bachmann Plus line and Silver Series, were okey, but the basic stuff that came in the sets was pretty bad...

They turned everything around with the introduction of the Spectrum line and have been producing very good quality stuff since the late 90's...

And the Bachmann On30 stuff is excellent!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Maybe you can take advantage of the situation and get a deal. If the Hobby shop thinks that Bachmann is junk, then he should be willing to sell it at cost , or for a discount, just to get rid of it! :cool: :D

I wouldn't hold my breath though....
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Capt Turk, my two 2-6-0's have run very nice at slow speeds since I pulled them out of the box. Both of my boys run them and haven't complained about any problems. I haven't put them through their paces on the switching layout yet but for a circle of track and a couple of switches on the floor they are great. Some of the detail is fragile but the cars are rugged. I haven't bought a shay or Climax yet but they do look great sitting on my LHS shelf. I understand the little crittter diesel is a great runner too.

11. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

As I said, my mogul runs fine at speed. It just doesn't do good at switching speeds. It's very high geared for one thing.
    I have one of the gas side rod switchers ordered. I'm looking forward to getting it on the layout.
  12. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The introduction, by Bachmann, of the Spectrum 2-8-0, in HO, literally set the industry on its ear. Bachmann had raised the bar to a previously unheard of height! That product caused the other manufacturers to match the quality. LifeLike proto 2000 heritage series is one of the results, and, along with Bachmann spectrum, represent some of the finest steam models currently available.
    Even the On30 Mogul, from Bachmann rates praise. We had one of the passenger sets running in the front window, every minute the store was open. It logged over 800 statute miles, and can still go further!
  13. Catt

Catt Guest

Harry,chalk this up as another vote for Bachmann 0n30 locos and cars.I have 3 of the 2-6-0,s (one of which took the highdive and went 42" to the floor and survived rather nicely except for some displaced detail parts) one Porter 0-4-2 (what a sweetheart of a runner :) ) and one gas mechanical which is another excellent runner.I also have an assortment of Bachmann 0n30 rolling stock both passenger and freight cars.

There is a lot of aftermarket rolling stock and loco kits out there too,though For my money most of it is kind of pricey.(I'd rather Kitbash and or scratchbuild myself)
  14. atrainfan

atrainfan New Member

15. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

I have both the 0-4-0 Porter and the 2 truck shay in On30 and they work great for me. However, a few years ago [about 15] I would not have taken a Bachman if you gave it to me for free. They have changed radically in recent years.
    I hope that helps. :)
  16. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I have Bachmanns 0-4-0 Porter, 2 cylinder Shay, Climax and the 2-6-0. I haven't had any problems with them.
    As mentioned above, Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette magazine has ads from other On30 manufacturers. There are several small companies that make rolling stock specifically for backwoods On30 layouts.
    there is San Juan Car Company for cars and Accucraft if you are looking for small diesel and gas mechanical loco's
  17. MidnightRR

MidnightRR Member

"Boxed trash"?

These guys are nuts. Bachmann's On30 product is excellent. The locos run very well and are nicely detailed. The rolling stock is nicely detailed (for RTR) and reasonably priced.

I'd be really hesitant to spend my money in a shop run by such ill-informed staff.
  18. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

The On30 shay is among the finest runners out there...It runs smooth & realistically slow..It will crawl an inch an hour or climb a 6% grade like a Mtn Goat.

The Porters are fantastic Low Priced models..again they run like a Scale model, not a toy.

The BLI 2-8-0 i had cost more and while a good runner was NOT by Any stretch of the imagination a Better runner than the bachmanns......It was AS GOOD but at Twice the price.

The BACH MANN RULES On30..................Come Join "The Dark Side"
    You Will Be Assimilated!!! ;)
  19. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

Last night my Bachmann on30 Shay took a three foot header off my lay-out, on to a bare concrete floor, IT STILL RUNS!
    The spark screen got a little crumpled (looks kinda scale) and the handle from the bell broke off; it was still tied to the cab.
    If ever there's been a product endorsement, this is it! I am absolutely AMAZED by this Bachmann product and am now a Spectrum on30 Zealot. I'm going to buy the 4-4-0 to celebrate.
  20. kennyrach

kennyrach Member

HI i will go to a hobby shop where their sell all train not just what they want to sell and Bachmann Spectrum on30 item are a super running i have about 6 of them now